Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Moving Dubai -> Geneva

Moving Dubai -> Geneva

Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving Dubai -> Geneva

Hello,

The Mrs and I are looking to move from Dubai to Geneva within the next 6 months.

Obviously most issues should be OK as we are Brits and its the Eu and all that but does anyone have any things we should think of?

Also, I am thinking of taking my Jeep and motorbike over. Does anyone know the process? Is it worth it? And is it possible even (my Jeep is modified and my bike is tweaked)..

Any ideas?

cheers!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving Dubai -> Geneva

DON't ( take vehicles from anywhere in the Middle East , into anywhere in Europe ! ) ; the eventual trouble is just : NOT worth it !!!
on all ( or : most !? ) other accounts , you could end up v. v.much worse , than living in fab Geneve/Lausanne/Montreaux, Vevey , Vaud , Valais and around thereabouts !
Best of Luck , R. !
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

MacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray51
DON't take vehicles from anywhere in the Middle East, into anywhere in Europe!
Could I ask why? as it seems a wee over the top.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Mostly : because the stinking hard-headed , non-negotiable Effing Bureaucrats in Europe will make you pee blood , to pass the various regulations and restrictions , whereafter , even if you should ever manage achieve this , after some while , your vehicles here will be worth : precisely next to nothing !
Trust me , mate , I made some similar mistakes in the past ;
it wasn't worth it !
Old Feb 5th 2011, 9:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Hello,

The Mrs and I are looking to move from Dubai to Geneva within the next 6 months.

Obviously most issues should be OK as we are Brits and its the Eu and all that but does anyone have any things we should think of?
Err, no, it's not.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Switzeland ,
or in your proposed choice of location : La Suisse ,
is NOT part of the EU ( and is most unlikely , ever to become one , in my lifetime , anyway ! ) !
However , like Norway and some other/s , they do have certain Grrreat arrangements in place , which just so happen , to result in them being better off even , than the usual imbecile , servile , voiceless , frequently-abused , pointlessly-humiliated "members" of the EU ! .
I strongly believe in such , those arrangements and I do wish the Swiss and the Norwegians all of the best , on their successful , merry ways ;
and to you , too , should you be successful in settling in/around Geneve/Genf and/or thereabouts !
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

MacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really nice

I'm lost so if I were to buy a cheaper BMW 3 Series from ME, then I import it to EU you're saying that my car will be worth nothing due to the hassle of importing?

That makes no sense.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MacLover
I'm lost so if I were to buy a cheaper BMW 3 Series from ME, then I import it to EU you're saying that my car will be worth nothing due to the hassle of importing?

That makes no sense.
Are you on a Mac?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

In simplest of terms :
Car-wise : DO NOT buy anything from ME !!!
( Repeat : It's NOT worth the future trouble/s ! )
There's plentyful bargains going and begging , these days , in Switzerland , BENELux , Germany , Denmark , U.K. ( both : LHD & RHD ) ....with which you also automatically get clean , correct-est EUro-compliant documentation , the right & valid warranties , decent service and : NIL hassles , mate !
Take the good , free advice , or dump it ,
it's all to your own free ( payable ) choice/s !
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
Switzeland ,
or in your proposed choice of location : La Suisse ,
is NOT part of the EU ( and is most unlikely , ever to become one , in my lifetime , anyway ! ) !
However , like Norway and some other/s , they do have certain Grrreat arrangements in place , which just so happen , to result in them being better off even , than the usual imbecile , servile , voiceless , frequently-abused , pointlessly-humiliated "members" of the EU ! .
I strongly believe in such , those arrangements and I do wish the Swiss and the Norwegians all of the best , on their successful , merry ways ;
and to you , too , should you be successful in settling in/around Geneve/Genf and/or thereabouts !
Oops, my bad!

Thanks for the info/ well wishes.

we are not sure what is the plan yet. I fancy moving to the British Virgin Islands but the Mrs wants to do the UN Uni course which she can do in Geneva. I suppose I could manage 18 months touring the slopes while she studies! BVI can wait a year or two.