Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Road Tax about to run out

Road Tax about to run out

Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:16 am
Just Joined

trying2Blegal is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Road Tax about to run out

I know this question has been asked lots of times before, but I can't get a satisfactory answer from the DVLA.

My MOT has run out. My road tax runs out at the end of the month. My car is a thousand miles from the UK, and I don't want to bring it back. I also don't want to break UK law.

As far as the insurance is concerned, I'm covered, even if my MOT and Road Tax runs out. I've absolutely checked that with the insurance company I use, and they have confirmed it by email.

I've called DVLA three times, and I have had three answers to my question about what to do - of course I can't SORN the car outside the UK.

The best answer I got was that I simply drive to the nearest MOT station, even though my MOT and Road Tax are expired. I think that's too optimistic.

The other two replies effectively say that I must de-register the car when my tax runs out, otherwise I am breaking UK law. I was referred to the Vera Act.

Yet I have read elsewhere that I can simply inform the DVLA of the situation, and I am not breaking UK law. Obvious the moment I enter the UK I must arrange transportation from the ferry to an MOT testing centre, something I don't necessarily have to do if just my MOT has expired, provided I have pre-booked an appointment.

Does anyone have any clear information with references? I really don't want to go back to the UK over the next few weeks.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:21 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road Tax about to run out

Well, you dont say where you are so its difficult, but it's possible you are also breaking the laws of the country you are in.

As a general rule (tried and tested) you can only drive a UK car abroad if it is legal in the country of origin. That means it must have an MOT. Thats part of the reciprocal agreement system. In many countries, if you are a resident of that country then you cant actually drive a UK plated car.

This has been discussed in Spain before and technically the only way you can get it back is by having it transported. I hope you have it in writing from the insurance company that they will insure it even if it is not street legal in the country of origin. As has been said before, some insurance companies will tell you anything ... but as has been found before when it comes down to it they will also do anything to negate the claim. Non legal car seems to hit the nail on the head as an excuse
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Insurance is not a problem - I have got it in writing that it is not dependent on MOT or Road Tax.

The MOT running out is not the real problem, it's the road tax. I'm coming to the conclusion that I have no choice but to make the trip to the UK before the end of the month.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 12:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trying2Blegal
Insurance is not a problem - I have got it in writing that it is not dependent on MOT or Road Tax.

The MOT running out is not the real problem, it's the road tax. I'm coming to the conclusion that I have no choice but to make the trip to the UK before the end of the month.
Wow ... well, I'm very interested how they can justify insuring a car that aint legal ... but there you go

The MOT running out IS a real problem, because you cant get tax without it. As i said, the only way that was discovered was to transport it, because there are cameras at the docks that can check tax and mot ... its all electronic now

Good luck with it anyway

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 9th 2011 at 12:17 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Aren't something like 99% of accidents caused by human rather than mechanical error? Cars aren't aeroplanes!

I take on board what you say about cameras. I'm just annoyed about having to make the trip - aside from the money, there's the CO2 emissions.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:14 pm
Senior Moment

Aren't something like 99% of accidents caused by human rather than mechanical error? Cars aren't aeroplanes!

Sorry man, I fail to see what that has to do with it. If your car isn't MOT'd then in the eyes of the law it isn't roadworthy. To an insurance company thats a loophole that they can get out of paying a claim. So if I am hit by an illegal car and the insurance wont pay out, where does that leave me?

I came to live abroad. I registered my car in the country I moved to, and I dont have to take it home for an MOT as it is assessed in the country it's registered to.

I dont know your circumstances or the law where you are ... wouldnt it have been cheaper to matriculate it there? After all, you're talking about a 2000 mile round trip and all the costs associated with it
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Where I am it is, I believe, difficult and costly to register an old car.

As for the insurance, I am definitely covered, so I am not worried on that score.

I was being flippant about the MOT - I know the law is the law, but I am not convinced that it's very useful.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 3:53 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a UK registered car it must be at a UK address, and you don't want to bring it back, why cant you just SORN it at the UK address? This will stop your tax bill building up. But you better not use it anywhere after. I think if you want to use it abroad you will have to export it from the DVLA and re register it, or transport it back and get it MOT'd and taxed..

Last edited by anonimouse; Feb 9th 2011 at 3:55 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

You can't SORN a vehicle outside the UK, and I'm not ready to mothball the car. And registering the vehicle, which is around 20 years old, could be difficult.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:07 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

You can't SORN a vehicle outside the UK, and I'm not ready to mothball the car. And registering the vehicle, which is around 20 years old, could be difficult.
Oh dear, You don't have many options then, sorry.