Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Loophole to get out of a needing a Belgian work permit

Loophole to get out of a needing a Belgian work permit

Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Loophole to get out of a needing a Belgian work permit

I read an article stating "Foreign nationals authorized or admitted for an unlimited period of time" can be exempt from requiring a work permit. Who can authorize that, under what circumstances? Is it a matter of having an employer hire a worker indefinitely?

Why do I care, you might ask... I just found out the work permit renewal costs four figures; which I find ironic. I would think the renewals would be cheap and trivial compared to the first permit.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Loophole to get out of a needing a Belgian work permit

Are you a British expat? If so, you do not need a work permit.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
Are you a British expat? If so, you do not need a work permit.
No, I'm not a citizen of an EU state. The work permit was 1100 euros, and 1k euros annually for renewal, so I'm looking for ways around this.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

gs.gecko is an unknown quantity at this point

Marry an EU citizen ...?

or.... don't work personally in belgium , work professionally. What I mean is work for a company outside Belgium on assignement or consultancy in Belgium. If the people you are working for get an invoice from a non-Belgium company for what ever it is you do ' call it 'services' then any work permit issues should be bypassed. Your service are then not subject to emplyment regulations - it is a purchased service from a non-Belgium company. As long as you get paid what do you care ?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gs.gecko
Marry an EU citizen ...?
A lot of countries take that kind of fraud seriously.. I wouldn't do it.
Originally Posted by gs.gecko
or.... don't work personally in belgium , work professionally. What I mean is work for a company outside Belgium on assignement or consultancy in Belgium.
That is in fact what I do, but that doesn't get me off the hook for the work permit. It seems most contractors in Belgium use a non-Belgian umbrella company, but they still have to pay the salary in Belgium, tax it in Belgium, and issue a work permit.