Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Belgium section ?

Belgium section ?

Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

gs.gecko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Belgium section ?

Any chance we can have a Belgium section - after all there are loads of expats in Brussels working for NATO, the EU and countless other institutions. There are in fact 2 British Embassies in Brussels - bet you didn't know that One for Belgium and one for the EU.

I'd like to start the first thread in this section about 'Belgian customer service' or rather the complete lack of it
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Belgium section ?

Originally Posted by gs.gecko
Any chance we can have a Belgium section - after all there are loads of expats in Brussels working for NATO, the EU and countless other institutions. There are in fact 2 British Embassies in Brussels - bet you didn't know that One for Belgium and one for the EU.

I'd like to start the first thread in this section about 'Belgian customer service' or rather the complete lack of it
Supply and demand....
3 posts from expats in Belgium since last October sort of answers the question. ;-))
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

True , there are tens of thousands of expats in Bru ...
not many care to get involved on forae , for one reason or another ,
could it be Jupiler , Leffe , Duvel , Hoegarden , I wonder ?
( Or some other , even more sinister pleasures , who's to judge ? )
Old Apr 11th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

There actually is a very active forum for expats in Belgium at xpats.com (under Q&A). It's a terrible format for a forum, but everyone goes there, so we're stuck with it. If xpats.com didn't exist, no doubt this forum would be flooded w/ Belgian posts.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 11:53 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgombos
There actually is a very active forum for expats in Belgium at xpats.com (under Q&A). It's a terrible format for a forum, but everyone goes there, so we're stuck with it. If xpats.com didn't exist, no doubt this forum would be flooded w/ Belgian posts.
It could be said that if you did not suggest other forums then more posters would stay here too!
Having seen the so called forum I cannot believe some of the chatter that is going on.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
It could be said that if you did not suggest other forums then more posters would stay here too!
I'm not sure that many folks in Belgium find britishexpats. xpats.com does some aggressive advertising to the belgian community. That site is in bed with The Bulletin (a magazine for Belgian expats). And literature that is distributed to expats in apart-hotels in Brussels also advertises xpats.com, so I suspect people start off in xpats.com.

If there were a decent collection of belgian posts here, one could weave references to britishexpats in responses to xpats.com questions, and it could then take off. Although non-British expats in Belgium (like myself) could be deterred by the site name.

One aspect that I like about xpats.com is the ability to post anonymously; and in fact it's encouraged.

Last edited by jgombos; Apr 12th 2009 at 12:05 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that many folks in Belgium find britishexpats. xpats.com does some aggressive advertising to the belgian community. That site is in bed with The Bulletin (a magazine for Belgian expats). And literature that is distributed to expats in apart-hotels in Brussels also advertises xpats.com, so I suspect people start off in xpats.com.

If there were a decent collection of belgian posts here, one could weave references to britishexpats in responses to xpats.com questions, and it could then take off. Although non-British expats in Belgium (like myself) could be deterred by the site name.

One aspect that I like about xpats.com is the ability to post anonymously; and in fact it's encouraged.
Well that would put me off for a start.
You must need plenty of this.
Attached Thumbnails Belgium section ?-troll-spray-atsof-545146_377_603.jpg  
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
You must need plenty of this.
I agree.

Although anonymous posting encourages more sincere and genuine posts on any kind of sensitive topic (Eg. the English speaking guy on xpats.com who sliced his nutsack with an electric shaver and needed to know what creme to buy in a French speaking pharmacy) -- at the same time it also encourages low quality (shots from the sidelines) posts.

A good form of troll spray is a good rating system (which seems to be broken on xpats.com). I like the idea of automatically folding anonymous posts, and if members give a positive vote the post becomes unfolded. And when a post from a member is low quality, other members should be able to vote it down into a folded state.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I agree.

Although anonymous posting encourages more sincere and genuine posts on any kind of sensitive topic (Eg. the English speaking guy on xpats.com who sliced his nutsack with an electric shaver and needed to know what creme to buy in a French speaking pharmacy) -- at the same time it also encourages low quality (shots from the sidelines) posts.

A good form of troll spray is a good rating system (which seems to be broken on xpats.com). I like the idea of automatically folding anonymous posts, and if members give a positive vote the post becomes unfolded. And when a post from a member is low quality, other members should be able to vote it down into a folded state.
Too late, maybe the damage has already been done.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:12 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Too late, maybe the damage has already been done.

Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

gs.gecko is an unknown quantity at this point

Phew.... nice to be back where it's less insane. I went and had a look at xpats.com and asked a question about internet TV in Belgium which was immediately attacked They aren't right friendly over there are they !!
Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:56 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gs.gecko
Phew.... nice to be back where it's less insane. I went and had a look at xpats.com and asked a question about internet TV in Belgium which was immediately attacked They aren't right friendly over there are they !!
Well maybe then you could all start more discussions here on relative issues to Belgium, and then you may well end up with your own Belgian forum
Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Good Try !
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

InterestedParty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, apologies if there is a seperate section for stuff like this but this seemed as good a place to go as any for an answer,

Im taking my father to Brussles for the weekend of the 2nd May, unfortunately Ive never been before so I was hoping somebody might be able to tell me, is there any chance of seeing the Ricky Hatton fight on TV somewhere in the city, if not no worries but I had hoped to catch it

Cheers
Brian
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by InterestedParty
Hi guys, apologies if there is a seperate section for stuff like this but this seemed as good a place to go as any for an answer,

Im taking my father to Brussles for the weekend of the 2nd May, unfortunately Ive never been before so I was hoping somebody might be able to tell me, is there any chance of seeing the Ricky Hatton fight on TV somewhere in the city, if not no worries but I had hoped to catch it

Cheers
Brian
You might be better off starting your own thread in the Europe forum as your post may get lost in this thread.
It will also add to the number for a Belgium forum. ;-))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.