Kropa Museum

Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

M AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really nice
Default Kropa Museum

Last week I had to go to Slo on business but I had virtually a couple of days to spare due to the flight situation re 'low cost ' airlines and getting reasonable prices.
I found myself in Radovljica and thought about mailing Adele/Adeke to meet up for a coffee but no doubt she would have been out and climbing some mountain. As I love lots of the architectural metalwork you find in Slo I decided to go a few miles to the small village of Kropa which I had been told made most of it but not the Three Bridges dragons I now know.
Interesting place with plenty of water falling down a London drop which made it easy for it to drive water wheels that operated bellows rather than millers wheels. Found a great bar restaurant and the owner was really interesting. His bean soup with a dark beer was ideal for a cloudy moody day , the opposite of the previous sunny and warm day. Low and behold Adele had been to the place recently and she had also reviewed his food for her blog. He recommended the museum of nails and screws in the town. I cannot believe I fell in love with this place, it's contents and the guy who runs it. I want to go again and spend more times with the keys, grills, screws and other larger exhibits as well as an Austrian mechanical music machine ... I forget the correct name for one of these drum with metal pin machines.
The main metal company closed years ago and all that are left are artisans and old forge blacksmiths. Even the place you could buy ready made items has closed but locals say it might re open in summer.
This was the best part of the trip to Slo this time and I really recommend it. It's not really called the nut and bolt museum it's the Iron Forging Museum.
All the best, Michael
Old Oct 17th 2014, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

M AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really nice
Default Re: Kropa Museum

Sorry this American bought iPad has a mind of its own and a nightmare when I touch type fast and just ping off unread as is my way. It was a large drop not a London drop !!? Restaurant bar called Pr Kropa I think. He knew so many people I know in Slo as well. Never say anything you might regret (not that I would) as everyone knows everyone which is also why I love it.
Really want to go again before ski time so if I cannot, please you guys give us the odd tale......like when I nearly got arrested for holding up a Slovenian bank ...but hey that has to be over a beer in the UK or in Sloland.
Cheers M & G