Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hybrid/electric vehicles in the EU.

Hybrid/electric vehicles in the EU.

Old Apr 25th 2021, 9:19 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hybrid/electric vehicles in the EU.

Who has one, and how do you charge it?

I've just taken delivery of a PHEV, the public charge point infrastructure where I am seems not to be exactly "joined up", so I am very likely going to put in a home charging system.

Any thoughts welcome, recommendations on home chargers, which public EU charge systems are good/not so good, whatever.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hybrid/electric vehicles in the EU.

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Who has one, and how do you charge it?

I've just taken delivery of a PHEV, the public charge point infrastructure where I am seems not to be exactly "joined up", so I am very likely going to put in a home charging system.

Any thoughts welcome, recommendations on home chargers, which public EU charge systems are good/not so good, whatever.
Worthwhile reading :
https://insideevs.com/features/38967...v-in-portugal/

This the Galp card refered to in the article
https://casa.galp.pt/ajuda/energias/...ectric/o-que-e
Google translate will help
Old Apr 27th 2021, 4:23 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Worthwhile reading :
https://insideevs.com/features/38967...v-in-portugal/

This the Galp card refered to in the article
https://casa.galp.pt/ajuda/energias/...ectric/o-que-e
Google translate will help
Thanks for that. The insideevs article is indeed a worthwhile read, and the author echoes that some of my concerns here in BE are also present in PT (inconsiderate others, charge stations not working etc).

But non-PT issued charge cards don't work in Portugal? Oops.

Luckily I differ from the author in as much as I can have a home charging solution installed fairly easily, which seems to be the way to go - I don't need to spend time going to places just to charge the car when there's nothing else to do there for however long it takes.

I have an electrician coming in a few days for some other stuff, I'll get his thoughts on home chargers.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. The insideevs article is indeed a worthwhile read, and the author echoes that some of my concerns here in BE are also present in PT (inconsiderate others, charge stations not working etc).

But non-PT issued charge cards don't work in Portugal? Oops.

Luckily I differ from the author in as much as I can have a home charging solution installed fairly easily, which seems to be the way to go - I don't need to spend time going to places just to charge the car when there's nothing else to do there for however long it takes.

I have an electrician coming in a few days for some other stuff, I'll get his thoughts on home chargers.
You are fortunate - a home station is an ideal solution but so many people live in apartments and , in older districts rely on on-street parking . A huge limitation
Old May 13th 2021, 4:23 pm
Gloves off

UK replaces France as Europe’s second largest electric car market.
Recent Guardian article here.

---

My electrician has postponed; having done some research I've invested in one of these and am currently running it from a standard mains socket at 13 amps, with a view to moving up to having a three-phase 32 amp socket installed.

At standard mains, it charged the 15kw battery from flat in just over 5 hours, since then it takes around a couple of hours after a 40-50km round trip to bring the battery back to 100%. When I get a 32amp socket added I plan to put a wall bracket up.
Old May 22nd 2021, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now this is an interesting concept , hope it catches on :

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...co-charger-app

Old May 24th 2021, 11:05 am
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Now this is an interesting concept , hope it catches on :

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...co-charger-app
What an excellent idea. I've noticed on Google maps a few charging points popping up in residential areas that don't seem to be associated with any network/supplier, maybe there's something like that going on here.

My local town hall has several charge points on its land, at least one of which is available to the public, I'll check with them to see if they're aware of any similar schemes.
Old May 24th 2021, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Had a case of plug rage recently in Budapest. Person with ICE car parked right in front of public charging point, making it impossible for a very irate woman to charge her EV!

The future's bright, the future's red!
Old May 24th 2021, 12:21 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Had a case of plug rage recently in Budapest. Person with ICE car parked right in front of public charging point, making it impossible for a very irate woman to charge her EV!

The future's bright, the future's red!
Are the charge-point parking spaces clearly marked as such? Here to the north of Antwerp, they're mostly not, not even a blue or green line to distinguish "something different happens here".

Exceptions can be found in some shopping mall/fast-food outlet car parks, but they remain in the minority.
Old May 24th 2021, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Are the charge-point parking spaces clearly marked as such? Here to the north of Antwerp, they're mostly not, not even a blue or green line to distinguish "something different happens here".

Exceptions can be found in some shopping mall/fast-food outlet car parks, but they remain in the minority.
It's very clear & very obvious. But when you own a 6 metre long Merc, all bets are off!
Old May 27th 2021, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Buckingham, have you got Solar panels?
Old May 27th 2021, 6:13 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by calman014
Sadly not, this house has a hugely shaded south facing aspect, which in itself can be fine when it gets warmer, but.... I'm pretty sure that you know where this is going.

If only I had the same exposure as I had back in CH... we were electrically self sufficient (and selling back to the grid) for 6-7 months per year.

At least the beer's good up here.
Old May 27th 2021, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by calman014
Are you kidding!

Belgium has an annual average rainfall of 32 inches (820 mm) that is fairly evenly distributed through the year, with a slight increase in the summer months. On average, the country gets around 200 days of rainfall each year.
and another 160 of hail, sleet, snow & fog!

Old May 31st 2021, 5:46 pm
Gloves off

Just had notification of a rebate (unrequested by me ) of Antwerp Province car tax for 2020/21 due to switching from straight petrol to PHEV.

Their calculations go way beyond my attention span, so I'll await November's annual renewal to get the overall picture, but a quick stab at it looks to be a drop of around 55% tax due for the year - same model of car, old one was a 2 litre petrol downsized to a 1.5 litre hybrid.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 3:55 pm
Gloves off

I have absolutely no horse in this race, but came across this BBC article earlier today, thought it may be of interest to some people:

Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.