Reload this Page >

Hi all, I just found you guys!

Hi all, I just found you guys!

Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:07 am
Just Joined

BrigitteM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi all, I just found you guys!

Well, here we are with our buddy BUSH!

I think we need to get out of this country. But where do we go? We live in Pa, USA.
Love the country hate the politics. And several other things... like watching our freedoms wane... forced vaccinations for grandkids.... the whole right winged agenda....America, love it or leave it...

Anyway, I was born in Austria but had a German citizenship before making the mistake of my life. I became a US citizen about 20 yrs ago.

Where do we go from here?

My grown kids are well educated and willing to move... (two out of three)

We just don't know which way. We are so sick about the whole consept of uprooting but we feel it is time.

Last edited by BrigitteM; Jan 12th 2005 at 4:10 am.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:11 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all, I just found you guys!

Europe's a big old place. What languages do you speak? What sort of thing are you looking for?
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Wow, someone is online! I am new to this sort of thing.

Anyway, we all speak ONLY German and English, of course.

My hubby and I are retired, we have a faily good retirement (if we can count on it) and my dd teaches math and son is an MD - surgeon. His wife is an osteopth.

What are we looking for? To get out of the US. We are considering Canada but since I am from Europe and the kids have always been over there, we are considering the EU also.

Gosh, this is so gut wrentching. I never thought we'd have to even entertain such considerations. We were all set! But it really doesn't matter. We all feel we want to get out before we get trapped in the good old USA.

BTW, Rockport is one of my favorite places.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:41 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Hi all, I just found you guys!

Rockport is lovely. After the intital settling in phase I'm staggeringly happy here.

Have you thought about Ireland? It has a decent economy, lots of German expats, especially around the West Coast and is a beautiful country.

I lived in Spain before moving here and wouldn't recommend it.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
Rockport is lovely. After the intital settling in phase I'm staggeringly happy here.

Have you thought about Ireland? It has a decent economy, lots of German expats, especially around the West Coast and is a beautiful country.

I lived in Spain before moving here and wouldn't recommend it.
As a retired couple they may like Spain Sibs really depends on where you go. Since I've moved more into the Spanish community it has been better for me. Ireland is good though and the people are lovely.

The orginal poster, Why not come over to Europe for a few months tour and see where you fall in love with, the world is your oyster.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:27 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by Mercedes
As a retired couple they may like Spain Sibs really depends on where you go. Since I've moved more into the Spanish community it has been better for me.
Fair comment. I suppose I'm just a tad biased after my experiences there.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 1:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrigitteM

Anyway, I was born in Austria but had a German citizenship before making the mistake of my life. I became a US citizen about 20 yrs ago.

Where do we go from here?

My grown kids are well educated and willing to move... (two out of three)
Unless you obtained permission from the German government in advance, it's pretty likely your German citizenship was lost when you became a US citizen.

You should contact the German Embassy in writing to see if:

- this is in fact the case;
- if it would be possible to get an immigration visa for Germany as a former citizen; and
- how you could subsequently regain German citizenship; also
- whether as an immigrant you could sponsor your husband to also live in Germany.

Try looking at the website of the German Embassy or government as a first step.

A German immigrant visa only lets you live in Germany - nowhere else in the EU. Once you have a German passport you have more flexibility.

Your children *might* be German citizens still if they were born before you became a US citizen. Depends on what exactly German law says and whether it provided for children to lose citizenship based on a parent's situation. They should also write to the German Embassy and find out about their status.

You might also want to consult a German lawyer familiar with nationality law if you are disagree with whatever advice the German Embassy gives.

Jeremy
Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

All three of my kids were born before I became an American. The youngest was five.

Wow! I will start to get informed about this.

My kids will love this bit of information. Thanks!

I did get in touch with the German Embasy a while back and basically they told me that when I became an American I gave up all rights to my German citizenship. But I never asked about my kids! Well, I'll start to set some wheels in motion right now.

Doggonit! I gave up to early. I had all the web sites and addys for the Embasy etc. now I got to start the search all over. Here I go...
Old Jan 15th 2005, 3:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

All three of my kids were born before I became an American. The youngest was five.

I did get in touch with the German Embasy a while back and basically they told me that when I became an American I gave up all rights to my German citizenship. But I never asked about my kids! Well, I'll start to set some wheels in motion right now.

Doggonit! I gave up to early. I had all the web sites and addys for the Embasy etc. now I got to start the search all over. Here I go...
Often when dealing with public officials you need to know what questions to ask. I'm not saying your children are Germans, but you were German when they were born and they were automatically dual US/German citizens at birth their position may be different to yours under German law.

You need to check. If what you are told doesn't make sense, verify it. Don't take the word of an embassy official as authoritative.

As for you, you need to be asking about whether there is any immigration visa available for you to re-enter Germany as a former citizen. You may be able to reacquire your German citizenship after doing this. Again - ask the right questions as they may not volunteer information.

Also - there are no problems with dual citizenship from the US side. http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ has good information.

Jeremy
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:59 pm
Scuffer

Scuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

What suits you both hbest is purely a matter of your personal preferences.
I lived for five years in the US (my wife being an ex-yank) in California and Florida. While we both see the attraction it had for others it was not for us.
We both prefer Europe. (No contest) Germany has to be the most under-rated destination in Europe it is simply beautiful and seems to have its shit together to borrow a phrase you are probably familiar with.
Suggest you come over for a long touring holiday, narrow it down to a couple of possibilities, decide what your comfort zone financially is, the culture you wish to emerse yourself in and then rent in that spot for a prolonged period before making the final decision.
Wish you luck in whatever decision you arrive at. I can reccommend the Isle of Wight, Uk. Not yet met an American who hasn't fallen in love with the place and we have a growing American population here.
I just happen to yearning to move back to Germany.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Jeremy,

As for you, you need to be asking about whether there is any immigration visa available for you to re-enter Germany as a former citizen. You may be able to reacquire your German citizenship after doing this.
So you are saying next time I travel over there, I should ask for an immigration visa to re-enter Germany at the passport counter in Germany?

From the link you've provided, I infer that I could simply apply for a German passport from her.

They do not know that I've accepted the US citizenship and may not even care. They also do not know that I've traveled to Germany with a US passport. Or do they? Again it may not matter.

I could simply apply for a German passport with my birth certificate etc. right now from here. ??

I have my father's birth certificate and several other documents.

To which address do I write?
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

Jeremy,

So you are saying next time I travel over there, I should ask for an immigration visa to re-enter Germany at the passport counter in Germany?
No I'm not saying that at all. Read my post again.
An immigration visa does not mean citizenship, and it's usually something you should obtain before even travelling there.

There may not even be such an immigration visa available for former citizens, but you have got to ask the question.

From the link you've provided, I infer that I could simply apply for a German passport from here
You've got to get your German citizenship back first.

That may not be possible to do without resuming residence in Germany first. Ask the question. And it may only be possible to resume residence in Germany if they have an immigration visa available for former citizens - ask the question.

They do not know that I've accepted the US citizenship and may not even care. They also do not know that I've traveled to Germany with a US passport. Or do they? Again it may not matter.

I could simply apply for a German passport with my birth certificate etc. right now from here. ??

I have my father's birth certificate and several other documents.

To which address do I write?
They'll know you're a naturalised US citizen when they ask for your green card (which you won't be able to provide) and you also won't be able to show that you acquired US citizenship at birth which will lead them to conclude you are a naturalised American and no longer German.

German Embassy is your main point of contact. German expat groups may be able to give more specific information.

Jeremy
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jeremy,

OK, now I understand. I will contact the German Embassy.

And I'll search for a German expat group. Thanks again.