Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hello! Hopefully looking for some advice (if someone has a minute :] )

Hello! Hopefully looking for some advice (if someone has a minute :] )

Old Sep 13th 2012, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello! Hopefully looking for some advice (if someone has a minute :] )

Originally Posted by Bowtime
Hello all!

I am living in the UK (Since I was born), but a couple of months ago I started a relationship with someone who lives in Belgium.

We have been exploring options on who should go where really and there are both benefits and drawbacks for either choice.

I was really just looking for some help on what stuff I would need to do if I was to move to Belgium. She already has a house so I would not need to buy/rent a home if I moved and more, contribute to costs as you could say.

Qualification wise, I have a level 3 BTEC diploma from a UK College (For everyone else, the education establishment you go to before university/college) in Computing, and I currently work as a IT technician for an English school.

I know about 3 words in Dutch. So I would need to learn that somewhere hopefully

So based on that, what do you reckon my odds would be on finding a job / learning dutch as a foreign language (in antwerp) & is there much of an british expat community around antwerp?

Sorry for the long post. As I hope you will understand, i want to get some information before making the leap of faith

Thanks!

The odds on you finding a decent job without a word of Dutch in the IT field is minimal.

Why would an employer take you on when he has hundreds of native speakers to chose from?

As you said "its hard to get a job in IT without a degree" - how much harder is it going to be without being able to speak the language?
Old Sep 13th 2012, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Bowtime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello! Hopefully looking for some advice (if someone has a minute :] )

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The odds on you finding a decent job without a word of Dutch in the IT field is minimal.

Why would an employer take you on when he has hundreds of native speakers to chose from?

As you said "its hard to get a job in IT without a degree" - how much harder is it going to be without being able to speak the language?
The implied term of me moving to belgium would be to learn dutch so I can actually speak the language. As Ive been told (and seen on my previous visits) people can speek good english for a country that isnt the UK.

And I would have an advantage over others that are new into the IT field as I have experience now. Or not, I could be an electrician. that sounds fun & pays sort of well
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:02 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

The implied term of me moving to belgium would be to learn dutch so I can actually speak the language. As Ive been told (and seen on my previous visits) people can speek good english for a country that isnt the UK.

And I would have an advantage over others that are new into the IT field as I have experience now. Or not, I could be an electrician. that sounds fun & pays sort of well
Yes, they probably do speak English, but employers aren't going to consider your applications for jobs when they've got tri-lingual candidates to choose from.
I've no idea about Belgian electricity, but French electrical standards are different from the UK and UK electricians wishing to work in France have to pass an exam (in French) to prove that they have mastered French methods.
Hope all this is giving you food for thought...
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Yes, they probably do speak English, but employers aren't going to consider your applications for jobs when they've got tri-lingual candidates to choose from.
I've no idea about Belgian electricity, but French electrical standards are different from the UK and UK electricians wishing to work in France have to pass an exam (in French) to prove that they have mastered French methods.
Hope all this is giving you food for thought...
No, not really. It doesn't help at all.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:26 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

No, not really. It doesn't help at all.
Sorry, just being realistic.
As proposed, wait until you've finished your apprenticeship, meanwhile learn Dutch, and hop over to Antwerp to visit whenever you can.
Or, as hinted in your first post, explore the possibility of your Belgian friend coming to live in the UK....
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry, just being realistic.
As proposed, wait until you've finished your apprenticeship, meanwhile learn Dutch, and hop over to Antwerp to visit whenever you can.
Or, as hinted in your first post, explore the possibility of your Belgian friend coming to live in the UK....
Ridiculously long bump (sort of).

Anyway, I took your suggestion dmu and waited the apprenticeship out. It will now be finishing in the next 2-3 months. I ended up applying for a foundation degree at a local college/uni and if they offer me a place then i would have a choice. If not then I will bite the bullet and move on over.

Cheers!