Greece?

Old Feb 1st 2012, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Aliland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greece?

Is there a good place to go on the site to talk to Expats in Greece? I'm especially interested in ones who have just arrived as I'm planing on returning to the uk. Perhaps we can swap questions, I know stuff about living here!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greece?

This is as good a place as any, thanks for taking the time and interest.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

garyingwent is an unknown quantity at this point

hi...I am just planning to move to Greece or the Greek Islands to do research for websites and artwork. Where exactly are you living at the moment? I am looking at doing house & pet sitting but am not sure of the demand in Greece...have you any idea? cheap accommodation is my next question...any suggestions? enough for now... Where are you returning to in the UK?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Aliland is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Thessaloniki- North Greece. As you say you want to go to islands, I assume you fancy the south. Much like the UK, north and south here are very different. I can't see you finding much house/pet sitting, yeah people are leaving, but Greeks have good family ties and probably have plenty of relations who would beg for cheap accommodation. But as I said, that might be very different down south.
Depending on your desire for weather/beachs, I have a possible idea. Loads of city people retreat to holiday homes for the summer, if you don't mind doing it in reverse - you could find someone. Up here for example, Halkadiki is packed all summer, but I love it in the winter - wild yet peaceful. In Thasos, you could probably get a place for next to nothing (literally) out of season. Not sure anyone would stay in a Greek city in the summer by choice.
Obviously, you want someone vouch for you before anyone is going to offer you much. Try looking for some Erasmus students at your local uni- after all their beds back home are empty. Propably not what you want, if i do here anything I will post again.
curious, if its not nosey, what type of artist you are and if its an arty websites your making?
I'm hoping to go north west in the UK.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

garyingwent is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi...thanks so much for the quick response...I am still getting used to blogging!! All your suggestions are really great and we will definitely look into the feasibility of each of the options. My son and I are very much going to go with the flow and will run with anything and apply a positive spin to it. As for the art side...I paint primarily in acrylics but also in watercolour...the type/genre or subject matter can vary ...the fact is that I have not been doing enough due to a really busy business occupation...soon to change!! (SNIP) What about you though, do you paint? is this an interest? You did say you were considering coming back to UK...soon? anyway...thanks for your help ...much appreciated.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 11th 2012 at 8:11 am. Reason: Sorry you cant post links to commercial / advertising sites, put it in your signature if you like