Greece

Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:32 am
Just Joined

zorbas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Greece

Originally Posted by LisaP
What I've observed is that if you don't need to work, or run a business, or put your kids through school, or need healthcare, then Crete is fine. But then, under those circumstances, so is everywhere else.

The english people I knew in Crete, lived rather in their own little cocoon, and didn't really understand much about the society they lived in.
Completely agree ! I lived there for 3+ years, and so many of the expats lived in their own little world, claiming to be "living like the locals" and claiming to have "lots of Greek friends" yet not being able to read/write or speak any Greek. They consequently hadn't got a clue about what was going on around them and thought that everything in Crete was rosy. I made the decision to return back to the UK. Anything I miss? Only the weather! And even then there is something very attractive about a nice cold frosty morning !
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:47 am
Just Joined

zorbas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KatyK1
ScottandSel. I am very very surprised at your posting earlier this year
I am not surprised at all. Crete is very different in attitude from other parts of Greece. I can identify with many of the points raised, having lived there until recently. I found that as a tourist, people were very friendly towards me. As a resident, my experience was very different. But, hey, who cares ? I am back home, back to a freezing cold UK, but as a person, I am so happy and can now appreciate what the UK does have to offer. Something I was blind to before I moved to Crete.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottandsel
hi i'm in Elounda, crete an we came here 7 months ago, worst move ever -
Heh heh ... went on holiday to Elounda just after the TV prog, who pays the ferryman.

I think there were two restaurants, and a cocktail bar there asnd not much else other than a hotel up on the road going out.

Stayed in a little villa just out of the village on the road looking out on the bay. It was a wonderful holiday, but I guess its different when you live there
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:44 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scottandsel
morning .. we've already decided to go to canada - we're looking to go to new brunswick, oh is a lorry driver so its a case of as soon as job offer (which we're jus waiting to hear so ) he'll fly out asap pick up his work permit at the airport then i'll follow in a couple of months and cant wait! then when out there we;ll apply for pr, i wont be able to work for 6 months, stipulation of the work permit but after that i can apply for my own wp, (no great hardship to me lol glad of the rest!)

Is your son fluent in greek then if your hubbie is greek, ours will always be an outsider here, the kids all have to have extra lessons after school as well as the education isnt the best, but its the interaction he;s missing, he's missed 7months of schooling and canada are a year behind so when we get out there it should balance out, what do you or your husband do? we started looking seriously for work for him bout feb time sendin cv's off to bout 300 companies! but i wanted to go there rather than here - now oh agreeing with me an wishes he;d listened (should know by now i'm always right )
Hey there, I just wanted to pick up on something you said about you not being able to work for 6 months in Canada... why is that? My OH went to Canada on a TWP...i followed 2 months later and picked my wp up at the airport and started work 2 weeks later.
Just wanted to let you know that you can work straight away if you choose to.