Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dual Irish citizen - living or travelling in EU

Dual Irish citizen - living or travelling in EU

Old Feb 12th 2024, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Javert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Irish citizen - living or travelling in EU

Hi - I have just been granted dual Irish citizenship so I will be applying for an Irish passport in addition to my UK passport.

My wife does not have the right to do that and is a UK citizen.

Will this make any difference to our ability to relocate in retirement to France or Spain, or would we both need to be EU citizens to make a difference?

Also would it make any difference to the 90 day rule for how long you can spend there in any year?
Old Feb 13th 2024, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Irish citizen - living or travelling in EU

It's actually very easy. You as Irish national will be main status holder and your wife will be branching off.
You get register as EU national residing, following up simple paperwork to register. Once you are register, you wife can apply for residence as wife of resident EU national.
All this is done in country, no embassy visits. Check europa.eu for details.

As EU national, 90 day rule is deadline for registration for you, it doesnt limit your & your wife stay.
Important thing, until your wife gets her residency card, she must enter/depart EU with you, never on her own!

You will get more responses if you post in Irish section.