Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Declaring overseas property

Declaring overseas property

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

zhunter71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Declaring overseas property

If you buy a property within Europe does the country automatically notify the UK Inland Revenue of this purchase or is it up to the individual to declare it ?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring overseas property

Originally Posted by zhunter71
If you buy a property within Europe does the country automatically notify the UK Inland Revenue of this purchase or is it up to the individual to declare it ?
I doubt many, if any countries notify HMRC of a property purchase, but don't forget by buying that property you may become liable to taxes in that country.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

expatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant future

Freedom of tax information between countries in Europe is now tightening up significantly under the guise of money laundering and anti terrorist legistlation. As a matter of interest the Inland Revenue have a department established in Spain, why I wonder ?

It is a fact to say that there is a two way flow of information between Spain and the UK, France and Germany, other countries are to follow. I know this because I was at an Inland Revenue meeting in Centre 1 before Christmas. So tread carefully, if you do try to hide any information and you say rent the property out or even sell it at a profit and do not declare income and gains to the Inland Revenue then you could have a problem. However, at the same time long term expats from the UK are not subject to capital gains taxes in the UK and even foreign income is irelevent for UK tax purposes. As the previous correspondent advised you may have some form of tax liability in the country that you buy.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatadvisor
Freedom of tax information between countries in Europe is now tightening up significantly under the guise of money laundering and anti terrorist legistlation. As a matter of interest the Inland Revenue have a department established in Spain, why I wonder ?

It is a fact to say that there is a two way flow of information between Spain and the UK, France and Germany, other countries are to follow. I know this because I was at an Inland Revenue meeting in Centre 1 before Christmas. So tread carefully, if you do try to hide any information and you say rent the property out or even sell it at a profit and do not declare income and gains to the Inland Revenue then you could have a problem. However, at the same time long term expats from the UK are not subject to capital gains taxes in the UK and even foreign income is irelevent for UK tax purposes. As the previous correspondent advised you may have some form of tax liability in the country that you buy.

All very true, but bearing in mind that HMRC can't get their act together in their own country, it does stretch the imagination to believe they can do so in a foreign country.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

expatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant future

yes, like the client who we represent with his personal tax, when following submission of his libyan income and local libyan taxes paid HMRC decided to give him a tax rebate of £16,000. The mind boggles !!