Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bloomsbury Park (Thistle) Hotel advice

Bloomsbury Park (Thistle) Hotel advice

Old Aug 10th 2002, 2:55 am
Just Joined

vinax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bloomsbury Park (Thistle) Hotel advice

My boyfriend and I are going to London for the first time at the end of September. We found a good deal (63 GBP) for the Bloomsbury Park Hotel located at 126 Southampton Row, WC1B. It's a Thistle associated hotel, whatever that means.

Does anyone have knowledge of or experiences at this hotel? My main requirements for a room are cleanliness and central location to tourist sites/transportation.

I would also feel safer in a location where there are plenty of people walking around at night. I think the hotel is close to Russell Square, and I've read conflicting information about how safe this area is.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

~Vina
Old Aug 10th 2002, 9:20 pm
Richard Grant

Default Re: Bloomsbury Park (Thistle) Hotel advice

I stayed at this hotel about 3 years ago. The rooms are very small but clean. Ask for
a room off the street which is busy. The hotel was purchased by the Thistle Group
since then and they've renovated it. Russell Square is safe at all times and the
Square (park) itself is lovely. There are always people in the area. Two restaurants
across the street are good: Nicole's and Piaf's. 5-10 minute walk to British Museum.
5 minute walk to Tube stop, Russell Square. From the British Museum it's a 10 min.
walk to Picadilly. So you're centrally located. Southhampton Row changes its name
about 3-4 times.

Old Aug 10th 2002, 10:04 pm
Harvey V

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:05:23 GMT, vinax wrote -

> My boyfriend and I are going to London for the first time at the end of September.
    > We found a good deal (63 GBP) for the Bloomsbury Park Hotel located at 126
    > Southampton Row, WC1B. It's a Thistle associated hotel, whatever that means.
    > Does anyone have knowledge of or experiences at this hotel? My main requirements
    > for a room are cleanliness and central location to tourist sites/transportation.
    > I would also feel safer in a location where there are plenty of people walking
    > around at night. I think the hotel is close to Russell Square, and I've read
    > conflicting information about how safe this area is.

To confirm what Richard Grant posted, that area's very safe -- lots of hotels
and lots of people -- as well as well located and accessible. It was the first
area I stayed in in London (over 25 years ago), and it remains my area of choice
for a hotel.

I suspect what you've heard about Russell Square relates to the square itself, a few
years back, as having a reputation as a gay pick-up and cruising spot. I think even
at that time it was probably safe for anyone else, but I also seem to recall that
they redesigned the square since then -- fewer secluded spaces -- and I certainly
haven't read anything about that for a while now,

Sounds like a good deal: Thistle's a big, reputable chain.

--
Cheers, Harvey

Old Aug 11th 2002, 3:54 pm
Anonymous

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Harvey V) wrote:

> I suspect what you've heard about Russell Square relates to the square itself, a
    > few years back, as having a reputation as a gay pick-up and cruising spot. I think
    > even at that time it was probably safe for anyone else, but I also seem to recall
    > that they redesigned the square since then -- fewer secluded spaces -- and I
    > certainly haven't read anything about that for a while now,

Currently -- well, as of a fortnight ago -- all the grassy areas of the park were
fenced off, leaving only the paved paths and central fountain area accessible. This
is supposedly to allow the grass to re-grow (and it is rather nice to see unkempt
grass and wild flowers in the heart of London), although I'm sure the expulsion of
the nighttime gay crowd was not a million miles from the authorities' minds either!

The downside of this is, of course, that there now isn't nearly so much space to sit
in, and especially around lunchtime all the benches can be full.

Incidentally, one of central London's most unspoiled, old-fashioned (and not
particularly touristy) pubs is in the area: the Lamb in Lamb's Conduit Street.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 4:15 pm
Me

vinax <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > My boyfriend and I are going to London for the first time at the end of September.
    > We found a good deal (63 GBP) for the Bloomsbury Park Hotel located at 126
    > Southampton Row, WC1B. It's a Thistle associated hotel, whatever that means.
    > Does anyone have knowledge of or experiences at this hotel? My main requirements
    > for a room are cleanliness and central location to tourist sites/transportation.
    > I would also feel safer in a location where there are plenty of people walking
    > around at night. I think the hotel is close to Russell Square, and I've read
    > conflicting information about how safe this area is.
    > Any info would be greatly appreciated.

We stayed in almost that exact place in early July. Bedford Pl. to be exact. The
area is very "safe". Quite nice actually. And you will be VERY close to most of
the areas of interest. I've pretty much decided that all future trips to London
will have us staying in this area. It's the right price/location combination for
us. I haven't stayed in that exact hotel, but I did pay 78 GBP so your deal is
pretty good. Thistle seems to have bought up an awful lot of properties in
London. That would somehow be encouraging to
me. (There's another one just down the road on Bloomsbury Way.)

Old Aug 15th 2002, 6:38 pm
Bill

Where did you find the good deal for 63 GBP?

On 10 Aug 2002 03:05:23 GMT, vinax <[email protected]> wrote:

>My boyfriend and I are going to London for the first time at the end of September.
    >We found a good deal (63 GBP) for the Bloomsbury Park Hotel located at 126
    >Southampton Row, WC1B. It's a Thistle associated hotel, whatever that means.
    >Does anyone have knowledge of or experiences at this hotel? My main requirements for
    >a room are cleanliness and central location to tourist sites/transportation.
    >I would also feel safer in a location where there are plenty of people walking
    >around at night. I think the hotel is close to Russell Square, and I've read
    >conflicting information about how safe this area is.
    >Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    >~Vina
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com