Will I be able to get ARTC?

Old Sep 27th 2012, 6:57 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will I be able to get ARTC?

I hope someone can give me some advice because I'm starting to get nervous. I have an OTSR issued by Vic Uni as a general electrician but I know that this is not going to be accepted for licensing by SA, so I approached Skill Shortage Solutions as I have heard of them helping get an ARTC before arriving and they nearly got me a job with Rio tinto.

Anyway I'm not a house basher and have always worked as an an industrial maintenance electrician. I did an indentured apprenticeship with British Steel and worked there for 4 years after the apprenticeship. I also had my son during ONC exams and these were never filed, but I do have my HNC in Electronic Engineering. I also have 16th and 17th Edition and some work related certs.

Since British Steel, I worked as an electrical technician at Heathrow for 7 years, and as an electrical and controls tech with Mars for 5 years .

Anyway, Skills Shortage are saying that they don't think I will be able to get an ARTC and should use the OTSR to get a provisional license. So any maintenance electricians out there with ARTC - or am I back to being an apprentice? Will SA accept a Vic Uni OTSR? What are my options? We have PR visa and planned date for move is next April.

Thanks in advance
Sparkles

Edit - hope this makes sense - it's been a long and busy day
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I be able to get ARTC?

Sparkles:
you should be able to apply to ARTC for a certificate, seeming you have been working on maint for the required 7 years post experience you should be granted the electrical fitters cert. Once you have the ARTC you can apply to energy safe Victoria for the Restricted electrical license this means you can work in the electrical game supervised. expect to wait for about 9 weeks from the time you send in your ARTC application before you get the ARTC cert from SA.
my advice would be:
once you apply for the ARTC and get the cert from them. book onto the Tafe (College) course in the area your living for the Pre- A class exams you do this course it may be a 7 day full on course or can be done in the evenings x 1 x night per week for 14 weeks this covers all you need to know about the forthcoming exams required for the A class license. once you have completed that course you can then apply to the RTO EPIC Training to do the state exams.
These exams are done at EPIC ITB
Suite 3 Level 2 185 Boundary Rd, North Melbourne
you do the (LEA) Licensed Electrician’s Assessment:
have a look at there site
http://www.epicitb.com/index.php?page=lea
once at the site you can download PDF's explaining what's required

This is a mix of
Safe Working Practice (SWP) (Disconnect & reconnect of an Appliance). you must pas this:
Licensed Electrician Theory (LET)
Licensed Electrician Practice (LEP)
Once you have passed these exams you then apply to Energy safe Victoria for the full Unrestricted Electrical A class license, that's then current for 5 years.

if your going to live in SA then once you have the ARTC you can do the PEER training course that's over 7 x days & when you have done that you simply go to energy safe SA on the day you pass the exams & do the application for SA only.

Arthur
Old Sep 28th 2012, 5:03 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Sparkles:
you should be able to apply to ARTC for a certificate, seeming you have been working on maint for the required 7 years post experience you should be granted the electrical fitters cert. Once you have the ARTC you can apply to energy safe Victoria for the Restricted electrical license this means you can work in the electrical game supervised. expect to wait for about 9 weeks from the time you send in your ARTC application before you get the ARTC cert from SA.
my advice would be:
once you apply for the ARTC and get the cert from them. book onto the Tafe (College) course in the area your living for the Pre- A class exams you do this course it may be a 7 day full on course or can be done in the evenings x 1 x night per week for 14 weeks this covers all you need to know about the forthcoming exams required for the A class license. once you have completed that course you can then apply to the RTO EPIC Training to do the state exams.
These exams are done at EPIC ITB
Suite 3 Level 2 185 Boundary Rd, North Melbourne
you do the (LEA) Licensed Electrician’s Assessment:
have a look at there site
http://www.epicitb.com/index.php?page=lea
once at the site you can download PDF's explaining what's required

This is a mix of
Safe Working Practice (SWP) (Disconnect & reconnect of an Appliance). you must pas this:
Licensed Electrician Theory (LET)
Licensed Electrician Practice (LEP)
Once you have passed these exams you then apply to Energy safe Victoria for the full Unrestricted Electrical A class license, that's then current for 5 years.

if your going to live in SA then once you have the ARTC you can do the PEER training course that's over 7 x days & when you have done that you simply go to energy safe SA on the day you pass the exams & do the application for SA only.

Arthur
Thanks Arthur

I was okay until I e-mailed those people. Can I send the application off before I leave UK so that most of the waiting is done here? I have read that that has been done, but not sure.

I have already done the PEER course, but don't mind doing it again.

Thanks again
Wendy
Old Sep 28th 2012, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say the system has now changed to apply for ARTC you must be living in Australia with a valid passport. Now then if you have done the PEER course & then you should be OK once you have the ARTC you simply apply to SA for the full license. But the SA license wont assist you outside SA all other states are now not accepting transfer from any other states.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 1:43 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

But the SA license wont assist you outside SA all other states are now not accepting transfer from any other states.
Is this just recent? I know that NSW accepted mine.