Where do we start?

Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

dtsjen30 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where do we start?

Ah a little spec of light at the end of a very dark tunnel. I have just spoken to a lovely guy from TRA Australia who has said that for industry purposes he would more than likely come under electrical special class, and for licensing purposes he woul be electrical mechanic or fitter. We now have to fill out an ARTC application and send off to be assessed by an australian assessor for a nice fee of 300.00 dollars and we would here back within approx 20 days from them receiving our application. So hubby will not be impressed with form i have just printed off 10 pages, he also needs to send all cetrificates, employment statement and passport evidence and 2 photos. So they don't ask for much do they. Well will let you know how we get on.

Thanks

Jeanette

Originally Posted by Wendy
He has done both domestic and manufacturing - we went as general electrician. When we started the process Electrician was only on the skills list for South Australia so we were looking at sponsorship from them. It wasn't until after the TRA assessment that it was put on the national shortage list. We still opted for SA, which is where we are. The licence was pretty easy to get here compared to the other states, took my OH 5 months but he didn't book himself on the course until 3 months after we got here . He was working within a day of getting it though
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dtsjen30
Ah a little spec of light at the end of a very dark tunnel. I have just spoken to a lovely guy from TRA Australia who has said that for industry purposes he would more than likely come under electrical special class, and for licensing purposes he woul be electrical mechanic or fitter. We now have to fill out an ARTC application and send off to be assessed by an australian assessor for a nice fee of 300.00 dollars and we would here back within approx 20 days from them receiving our application. So hubby will not be impressed with form i have just printed off 10 pages, he also needs to send all cetrificates, employment statement and passport evidence and 2 photos. So they don't ask for much do they. Well will let you know how we get on.

Thanks

Jeanette
Hi Jeanette, you would need the pre-migration assessment to be able to apply for a Visa - the ARTC is totally different although the forms look the same. You can't apply for an ARTC until you have a visa and an Australian address, and the ARTC isn't any use for applying for a visa.

Here are the seperate forms:

TRA Pre-Migration Assessment: http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...k4Sept2007.pdf

TRA pre-migration assessment info: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...oAustralia.htm

ARTC Form: http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...ck9Oct2007.pdf

ARTC assessment info: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

Because they are nearly the same form it is advisable for you to get at least 3 copies of everything, that is one for the pre-migration assessment, one for the Visa application and one for the ARTC application.

To pass the ARTC you really need some evidence of connecting and disconnecting from the mains so make sure that there is some of that in there. My OH couldn't get a job even as a maintenance electrician without a full licence - and he doesn't even do any electrical work as it's mostly PLC programming, but they need a fully licensed sparky for the legal side of things.

Ask the same agent or someone at the TRA, do they forsee any problems in getting an ARTC Mechanic classification if you apply as a special class electrician just to be on the safe side - otherwise it may be worth going the Vetassess route to be sure you can apply for the ARTC as Mechanic.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Hi Wendy,

We have been told by the TRA that once his skills have been assessed by an assesor and been recognised we would receive a letter from them stating that and also saying that we are eligible for migration so the letter can be put in with our visa application. The certificate will then be posted out to us as soon as we are residing in Australia. My OH has done installation work in previous maintenance jobs but not so much in his current job that he has been in for 11 years. So we will be applying for Electrical Mechanic rather than just fitter so that he will be covered. We have done the are you eligible to work in australia under skilled migrant via emmigrate to australia on the net and have scored enough points to go and we just need to complete step 3 which is applying for visa. What are your thoughts on the above?

Hi Jeanette, you would need the pre-migration assessment to be able to apply for a Visa - the ARTC is totally different although the forms look the same. You can't apply for an ARTC until you have a visa and an Australian address, and the ARTC isn't any use for applying for a visa.

Here are the seperate forms:

TRA Pre-Migration Assessment: http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...k4Sept2007.pdf

TRA pre-migration assessment info: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...oAustralia.htm

ARTC Form: http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...ck9Oct2007.pdf

ARTC assessment info: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

Because they are nearly the same form it is advisable for you to get at least 3 copies of everything, that is one for the pre-migration assessment, one for the Visa application and one for the ARTC application.

To pass the ARTC you really need some evidence of connecting and disconnecting from the mains so make sure that there is some of that in there. My OH couldn't get a job even as a maintenance electrician without a full licence - and he doesn't even do any electrical work as it's mostly PLC programming, but they need a fully licensed sparky for the legal side of things.

Ask the same agent or someone at the TRA, do they forsee any problems in getting an ARTC Mechanic classification if you apply as a special class electrician just to be on the safe side - otherwise it may be worth going the Vetassess route to be sure you can apply for the ARTC as Mechanic.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy,

We have been told by the TRA that once his skills have been assessed by an assesor and been recognised we would receive a letter from them stating that and also saying that we are eligible for migration so the letter can be put in with our visa application. The certificate will then be posted out to us as soon as we are residing in Australia. My OH has done installation work in previous maintenance jobs but not so much in his current job that he has been in for 11 years. So we will be applying for Electrical Mechanic rather than just fitter so that he will be covered. We have done the are you eligible to work in australia under skilled migrant via emmigrate to australia on the net and have scored enough points to go and we just need to complete step 3 which is applying for visa. What are your thoughts on the above?

Unless they have changed it then the guy you spoke to at the TRA is wrong (they don't always have a clue ), you need to apply for a pre migration assessment for the visa - then the ARTC when you have the visa. The ARTC application is free providing you have a sucessful pre migration assessment though, it's just that you need to send all the stuff again with a certified copy of your visa. Read the whole TRA site for info on this: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...l/Migrant/TRA/

The pre migration assessment will only classify you as Electrician Special Class, it won't give you an electrical fitter or mechanic classification - that is what the ARTC does.

Also, when you apply for the ARTC, even if you put down that you want electrical mechanic they can classify you as electrical fitter if they think your experience matches that more closely - so beware of that and put lots of stuff in about disconnecting from and connecting to the mains.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ding Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really nice

I would get an assessment from a migration agent (or two) to be honest, see whay they say would be the best route. It's a lot of money to spend on the Vetassess application for them to turn around at one point and turn you down. Most do a free initial consultation, so you may as well take advantage of it.

If I had more confidence in the Vetassess route then I would suggest that with it issuing a provisional licence but after talking to someone here in SA that is currently doing the wiring rules course, it seems that nobody here even knows about Vetassess and there doesn't seem to be any provisions in place for anyone coming out here with a 'provisional licence' from them as yet so God knows what is going to happen next?
Hello Wendy,
I'm doing the vetassess Monday but what i gather your saying is that it's not worth the paper it's written on. Do you think it might not be recognised in Oz?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ding Dong
Hello Wendy,
I'm doing the vetassess Monday but what i gather your saying is that it's not worth the paper it's written on. Do you think it might not be recognised in Oz?

Who knows? I think it will almost definitely throw a few problems up for a while. Try to find out as much as you can from Vetassess about what happens when you get to Australia. I'm trying to get info from this end but I'm not getting very far at the minute - will let everyone know if/when I do.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi Wendy,

Just arrived back from the Expo Leeds, It was very informative and have come away with things alot clearer. We spoke to the Western Australian Government and they said that before we can even think about getting visas my OH needs to get his skills assessed. Once that has been done and can take upto 8 weeks to complete we can then apply for our Visa. Whilst we where there my OH has been given an interview with Norfolk who are a consultancy for Engineering so you never know could get him employment. We went to look and speak to the Southern Australia Government , Adelaide and I think this is the place that we would most like to settle in. They also said that his skills are on the shortae list and could be eligible for Sponsored Skilled migration by the SA Government, which would give us a permanent visa straight away, but we would need to live in SA for a minimum of years and would need to work for the employer for 12 months. If we are considering settling in SA this may be a good option to choose what do you think? The Vetassess is only there to assess qualifications for General Electrician the special class electrican you have to be assessed by the TRA.

Jeanette

Unless they have changed it then the guy you spoke to at the TRA is wrong (they don't always have a clue ), you need to apply for a pre migration assessment for the visa - then the ARTC when you have the visa. The ARTC application is free providing you have a sucessful pre migration assessment though, it's just that you need to send all the stuff again with a certified copy of your visa. Read the whole TRA site for info on this: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...l/Migrant/TRA/

The pre migration assessment will only classify you as Electrician Special Class, it won't give you an electrical fitter or mechanic classification - that is what the ARTC does.

Also, when you apply for the ARTC, even if you put down that you want electrical mechanic they can classify you as electrical fitter if they think your experience matches that more closely - so beware of that and put lots of stuff in about disconnecting from and connecting to the mains.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Wendy,

Just arrived back from the Expo Leeds, It was very informative and have come away with things alot clearer. We spoke to the Western Australian Government and they said that before we can even think about getting visas my OH needs to get his skills assessed. Once that has been done and can take upto 8 weeks to complete we can then apply for our Visa. Whilst we where there my OH has been given an interview with Norfolk who are a consultancy for Engineering so you never know could get him employment. We went to look and speak to the Southern Australia Government , Adelaide and I think this is the place that we would most like to settle in. They also said that his skills are on the shortae list and could be eligible for Sponsored Skilled migration by the SA Government, which would give us a permanent visa straight away, but we would need to live in SA for a minimum of years and would need to work for the employer for 12 months. If we are considering settling in SA this may be a good option to choose what do you think? The Vetassess is only there to assess qualifications for General Electrician the special class electrican you have to be assessed by the TRA.

Jeanette
All I can tell you is that I absolutely adore South Australia - so for me I would take that option every time (but then we chose to live here anyway ). All the rest of the info is spot on.