Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

Old Jan 8th 2011, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice
Smile Re: WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

Hi All
Im not sure how this forum works but here goes, I need a little input into how to go about applying for permanent residency into Oz. Im an Electrician in the UK have been for 17 Years. Ive got C&G elec Ins, 2391, solar install cert, CompEX 1-4 Cert, working at hights,BTEC building services national cert and have been the qualified supervisor for my company for the last 10 years.PHEWW my down side is im 41 and can only get 100 points which i belive means i need to get a sponsor.
Im married and have 3 kids we have just got back from Oz and want to take the plunge.
From what ive read this does not seem to be as straight forward as i thought it might be, does any body have any advise for me as to the best way to progress.
Many thanks
ps its good to see guys have made the jump and are loving it
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

r10ley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months, so easy.

Hi Shaun, I'm no expert but I'll try help. Basically I believe the points system you are referring too will be redundant as of July 1st this year so you need to have a look at the new points system which puts more emphasis on experience which might work to your advantage.

This is the link:
http://www.workpermit.com/australia/...-july-2011.htm

I believe you now need 65 points to be eligable for a visa. Hope this helps and any questions just ask as I say I'm no expert but I'll try and help.

r10ley
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice808shaun808 is just really nice

Originally Posted by r10ley
Hi Shaun, I'm no expert but I'll try help. Basically I believe the points system you are referring too will be redundant as of July 1st this year so you need to have a look at the new points system which puts more emphasis on experience which might work to your advantage.

This is the link:
http://www.workpermit.com/australia/...-july-2011.htm

I believe you now need 65 points to be eligable for a visa. Hope this helps and any questions just ask as I say I'm no expert but I'll try and help.

r10ley
Thanks for your reply r10ley Ive had a look at the new points system and at first glance it still leaves me a bit short, I am looking for a good immigration agent can you give me any pointers? I'm still not sure if there is things In can start doing know ie regarding my licence that will speed things along a bit.
Once again many thanks for responding
Ps are you a expat electrician, how did your move go?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

r10ley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again, when you said its not as easy as it you thought that is an understatement its crazy how many hoops you have to jump threw! Im not a expat electrician yet but I hope to be soon lol.

Me and my partner are getting everything together as we speak to send out our application for a 176 skilled migrant sponsered visa (the sponer being my sister in Perth) hopefully sent away in time to get assessed via the old points system because we wouldnt qualify threw the new one (due to age) until we were 25.

I am going to be a de facto on my partners visa as its easier for her as a nurse to get her skills assessed rather than me being a electrician.

Basically your first step will be to get your skills assessed (assuming you need a visa) via VETASSESS:

http://www.vetassess.com.au/

This I believe is in two parts a written application and then when you have passed this your are invited to take a pratical skills assessment. There is loads of info floating around the forums about this.

Once you have a practical skills assessment you can apply for a visa is you have sufficient points. Once you have your visa your next step would be to move to OZ and then apply to get your skills assessed for a licience:

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...ages/home.aspx

Its very scary to look at, when I decided I wanted to live in OZ I though itd be easy but it soon dawned on me its not : (

On a more positive note where about in OZ do you wanna go?

Hope this helps and if any of its wrong please feel free to correct me : D

r10ley
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by r10ley
Hi again, when you said its not as easy as it you thought that is an understatement its crazy how many hoops you have to jump threw! Im not a expat electrician yet but I hope to be soon lol.

Me and my partner are getting everything together as we speak to send out our application for a 176 skilled migrant sponsered visa (the sponer being my sister in Perth) hopefully sent away in time to get assessed via the old points system because we wouldnt qualify threw the new one (due to age) until we were 25.

I am going to be a de facto on my partners visa as its easier for her as a nurse to get her skills assessed rather than me being a electrician.

Basically your first step will be to get your skills assessed (assuming you need a visa) via VETASSESS:

http://www.vetassess.com.au/

This I believe is in two parts a written application and then when you have passed this your are invited to take a pratical skills assessment. There is loads of info floating around the forums about this.

Once you have a practical skills assessment you can apply for a visa is you have sufficient points. Once you have your visa your next step would be to move to OZ and then apply to get your skills assessed for a licience:

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...ages/home.aspx

Its very scary to look at, when I decided I wanted to live in OZ I though itd be easy but it soon dawned on me its not : (

On a more positive note where about in OZ do you wanna go?

Hope this helps and if any of its wrong please feel free to correct me : D

r10ley
Hey r10ley
I am currently looking for a agent im not sure whether to go for one in Oz or the UK. I have filled in the on line assessment and basically told that i would have to get a state sponcor as i said i only gain 100 points
Also been looking though the forum at any similar cases but haven't found any yet. There must be somebody out there that can give me a straight correct answer to my situation, either that or i bribe some body Ha HA.
We would like to go to the Brisbane area as the climate is right up our street, but we have just come back from a good tour around and found we really liked Perth as well but Brisbane is our first choice.
My wife hasnt got any qualifications as such but has worked at as an accounts clerk/accountant for 15 years probably want help as no paperwork or certs.
Any way ive grumbled long enough good luck with your application
regards Shaun
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Mick00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am headin to Perth in June on a WHV and have been working as an electrician for about 6 years, it says you have to be working for 7 years, is this 7 years in total or 7 years after being qualified? Also do they check each of your employers to make sure you have been sparkin for the 7 years? Thanks in advance
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mick00
Hi I am headin to Perth in June on a WHV and have been working as an electrician for about 6 years, it says you have to be working for 7 years, is this 7 years in total or 7 years after being qualified? Also do they check each of your employers to make sure you have been sparkin for the 7 years? Thanks in advance
Hi there,
If you have served an apprenticeship you do not need to show 7 years experience.
To get your ARTC your employer(s) must give detailed references stating the type of work you carried out and tools that you used. The TRA will check all verifiable claims.
Regards Derren
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi there,
If you have served an apprenticeship you do not need to show 7 years experience.
To get your ARTC your employer(s) must give detailed references stating the type of work you carried out and tools that you used. The TRA will check all verifiable claims.
Regards Derren
Ok thanks alot for that, thats a relief,
Do I still fill out the (ARTC) Application Form that's on their site, I don't see a section on this form for my employers to submit anything?
Or is there a seperate way I apply because I have completed an apprenticeship? Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

^^^^Also is it ok for me to apply even though I'LL only be going over on a working holiday Visa. My cousin lives in Perth so should I use her address to get the form sent to, and then get her to send it over to me or just put down my Irish address and recieve it when I get to Oz?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Ok thanks alot for that, thats a relief,
Do I still fill out the (ARTC) Application Form that's on their site, I don't see a section on this form for my employers to submit anything?
Or is there a seperate way I apply because I have completed an apprenticeship? Thanks
^^^^Also is it ok for me to apply even though I'LL only be going over on a working holiday Visa. My cousin lives in Perth so should I use her address to get the form sent to, and then get her to send it over to me or just put down my Irish address and recieve it when I get to Oz?
Hi Mick,
You are required to obtain a reference from your employer. Note , a detailed reference, stating the type of work you carried out and tools that you used.
You then enclose a "certified true copy' of this, trade certs and any other documentation that backs up your claim to be a spark, with your application. Do NOT send originals of any document. They must certified true by a solicitor, J.P. or a migration agent etc.
Don't use your Irish address. Use the Perth address. They won't send docs overseas. No point in sending over to Ireland. Just pick it up when you get there. Save costs and the risk of losing it in the post, although the TRA would probably issue another one , if lost, for a small fee I would imagine.
Regards Derren
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Mick,
You are required to obtain a reference from your employer. Note , a detailed reference, stating the type of work you carried out and tools that you used.
You then enclose a "certified true copy' of this, trade certs and any other documentation that backs up your claim to be a spark, with your application. Do NOT send originals of any document. They must certified true by a solicitor, J.P. or a migration agent etc.
Don't use your Irish address. Use the Perth address. They won't send docs overseas. No point in sending over to Ireland. Just pick it up when you get there. Save costs and the risk of losing it in the post, although the TRA would probably issue another one , if lost, for a small fee I would imagine.
Regards Derren
So I should send in photo copies of all the references and my certs? Also does the solicitor just need to sign each page of write a letter saying what I am sending in is true? Also I have been with 3 employers during my apprenticeship I will get letters off them all. How much information are they looking form is it a complete desceiption of each task I have done and a list of tools and materials used on each task? Do they need to list every little tool like terminal driver or snipes etc? If I put down my cousins address in Perth to get the stuff sent to, what date should I put down for entering Australia (If I put down a .future date wont they know my address isn't in Australia at the moment?) Sorry for all the questions I just want my application to be correct. Thanks for the advice thus far.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

So I should send in photo copies of all the references and my certs? Also does the solicitor just need to sign each page of write a letter saying what I am sending in is true? Also I have been with 3 employers during my apprenticeship I will get letters off them all. How much information are they looking form is it a complete desceiption of each task I have done and a list of tools and materials used on each task? Do they need to list every little tool like terminal driver or snipes etc? If I put down my cousins address in Perth to get the stuff sent to, what date should I put down for entering Australia (If I put down a .future date wont they know my address isn't in Australia at the moment?) Sorry for all the questions I just want my application to be correct. Thanks for the advice thus far.
Hi Mick,
If you go to a solicitor they'll just stamp and sign each photocopy. Seemingly, with the date ,just put down the date that you intend to arrive. It appears from other posters that this is what they have done and the TRA are fully aware that people do apply from overseas.
If you PM your email address I'll PM my CV for the kind of detailed info they're after.
Regards Derren.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot Darren I sent you my e-mail there. Cheers
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:33 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Must have changed. It used to be that you HAD to have 7 years experience that could include your apprenticeship. But you had to prove it with letters from employers.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Must have changed. It used to be that you HAD to have 7 years experience that could include your apprenticeship. But you had to prove it with letters from employers.
Hi Jockstar,
It does state on their website and application form " must have served an appropriate formal apprenticeship OR been employed for six years( seven years in an electrical trade).
My interpretation of that would be that you could apply as soon as someone has completed their apprenticeship as they make no mention of post apprenticeship experience.
Congrats on your SA licence by the way. Hope you don't encounter any problems on getting the NSW licence.
Regards Derren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.