Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

WA electrical license - do in Oz or UK??

WA electrical license - do in Oz or UK??

Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

PaulandTina has a brilliant futurePaulandTina has a brilliant futurePaulandTina has a brilliant futurePaulandTina has a brilliant futurePaulandTina has a brilliant futurePaulandTina has a brilliant future
Default WA electrical license - do in Oz or UK??

Hi everyone,
I am an electrician living in the UK, moving to Perth in March. I was wondering if I should do the Australian Electrical Licence here before I go or do it when I get there? It's expensive to do here, about £3000, for a 7 week course. Does anyone have any advice on whether I should do it now or wait until I get over there?
I would really appreciate any help.
Thank you!
Paul
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:52 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA electrical license - do in Oz or UK??

Originally Posted by PaulandTina
Hi everyone,
I am an electrician living in the UK, moving to Perth in March. I was wondering if I should do the Australian Electrical Licence here before I go or do it when I get there? It's expensive to do here, about £3000, for a 7 week course. Does anyone have any advice on whether I should do it now or wait until I get over there?
I would really appreciate any help.
Thank you!
Paul
just posted this on your other thread

as far as i`m aware paul you cannot do an electical licence course ( well complete one anyway ) outside of australia, so if you dont mind whos asking you for 3 grand UK ?
most licencing courses in australia run at about 1500 to 2000 dollars thats approx 860 to 1150 quid?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

PaulandTina has a brilliant futurePaulandTina has a brilliant futurePaulandTina has a brilliant futurePaulandTina has a brilliant futurePaulandTina has a brilliant futurePaulandTina has a brilliant future

There is a company that has just started doing it called Down Under Tradies, they are legit, our agent told us about them. You will find them on Google if you are interested.

How long does it take in Oz to get the licence do you know?

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

jonnyd is on a distinguished road

hello mate i'm just doing mine now took 5 months to sort ARTC which i could have done before i arrived now i'm going the peer route that has been advised on here.

got the workbook and it's takes 2 to 4 weeks to fill in upto a maximum of 12 months.

if you do it this way you can get the workbook sent to an address here then have it sent on fill it in back home,
fly to adalaide do the test that they run every week and get sorted straight away. well that the way i would advise as it takes ages to get stuff done over here.

if you want i can email you the regs book saved me nearly 500 bucks the course it's self is $505
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:55 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

There is a company that has just started doing it called Down Under Tradies, they are legit, our agent told us about them. You will find them on Google if you are interested.

Thanks
yes i know the company your talking about and i posted some info a while back for people to have a look at them as a alternative to doing the courses here,

lets just get one point straight though they do no get you a full licence to work in au in 7 weeks, they do the gap training required that would normally be done via a tafe ( college ) or RTO ( registerd training organisation )
you will still need to apply here in au for a permit to train and in many cases have to work under supervsion whilst filling in a log book as evidence of having actully done some australian work,

taken fron their site

The first step towards gaining your unrestricted Australian electrical licence is to complete the MACG Training. For the first time, the MACG Training can now be completed in the UK, exclusively through Downunder Tradies Group, at our London training centre. Our course is delivered in one block, enabling you to achieve your MACG Training certificate in just 7 weeks. This avoids the high costs and several months it can take in Australia. As a bonus, it will make you much more attractive to Australian employers, as you won’t require intermittent time off for classes, plus, you’ll be familiar with Australian systems.

The MACG Training consists of 7 modules, covering a range of topics, including Wiring Rules, Electrical Systems Safety, and Protection Methods, in the context of Australian electrical systems. The course also includes the Workcover ‘White Card’, the mandatory occupational health and safety qualification, for entry onto construction sites Australia wide.

The second step in the Australian licencing process, is gaining up to 12 months Australian electrical industry experience. This experience needs to be recorded via an approved evidence tool. Downunder Tradies Group, in cooperation with Canberra Institute Of Technology (CIT), will register you with the eProfiling system. eProfiling allows you to record your hours of experience, which are then stored electronically. You will receive quarterly reports on your progress, and when the required amount of time has been achieved, depending on the State you choose to work, you will receive access to the final step of the Australian licencing process – the Capstone Assessment.

The Capstone Assessment is the final licencing exam for Australian electricians. The assessment can only be attempted after completion of the MACG Training, and the on the job Australian industry experience. When you are ready, Downunder Tradies Group, in cooperation with the CIT , will arrange for you to sit your Capstone assessment.

When you have completed all of the above, you will be ready to apply for your Unrestricted Electrical Licence. Downunder Tradies Group will help you gather your evidence, and guide you through the application process in your State or Territory.

regards steve