Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Vetassess Prac, "cut and paste"

Vetassess Prac, "cut and paste"

Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

orrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really nice
Default Vetassess Prac, "cut and paste"

Just a few comments bout the prac by people on the forumwho have done the prac. A bit ramdom but if you are doing the prac you will get the picture.

After registration we all went to a classroom and sat a written exam- 20 multiple choice questions which were largely around calculating resistances (Rt = R1 + R2 type thing) currents and power. A little RMS (just to check you know about peak voltages). A few very simple questions that you wouldn't look twice at and as a result I have already forgotten what they were. Total inductive reactance when you have 2 inductors in series (values given so you don't really need to remember all your RLC formulae but I found knowing it helped). Power factor and the relationships between the various values from the power triangle (KW, KVA, KVAr). POwer factor lagging or leading and correction- Amps used. Total power on an evenly loaded 3-phase system in star.
I can't remember if there was anything else but it is multiple choice which always helps. There were a couple of tricks in there so read carefully and double check your answers. They gave plenty of time.

After this we were split into 2 groups of 5 and went off to a workshop for the practical. Each in our own cubicle (you remember from college) we had to wire a 2-way lighting circuit and a radial socket circuit with one outlet. This should be doddle for any jobbing spark. The only thing was that it had to be to specific measurements given. this was partly clipped direct and partly in plastic conduit of which one piece had a double set so practice bending.
This was all wired back to a consumer unit via RCBO's and a few simple tests carried out and results recorded (earth continuity, insulation resistance and polarity)

During this we were taken individually to do the other elements of the practical.
The main part which seemed to have the most significance to them was the disconnect reconnect procedure (included in the generic candidate kit). My assessor was happy for us to use the sheet as we went through it because it is part of their system that we have to qualify in when we get to Oz. Apparently some assessors don't let you do this so this is a good thing to learn. If you have your own lock off devices and tags this does impress (I was the only one who had any and credit was received).

Also we had to prove we knew the basics with regard to DOL starting and the difference between star and delta (motor windings). The drawing was given to work from to wire a very basic DOL circuit with a contactor. The course I did definitely helped me in this area but I think I could have found all the information I needed without spending £1500. He asked where in the circuit I would put an additional stop button and start button (stop in series and start in parallel). It was simplified far more than I expected.

The last practical element was connecting a few banana leads to a box to simulate the connections of a circuitdiagram containing some resistors in series and parallel and then explaining where I would connect to read the current over various resistors and the same for voltage.

The last thing I had to do was write a paragraph explaining what I do that proves my experience within a certain area (described as Bu****it by the assessor).

I think that about sums it up and I hope it helps those of you who are as nervous as I was. Good luck

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can read the most basic of wiring diagrams then you wont have a problem. On the london exam, all the components were laid out individualy on a desk.

Take a peice of brown singles - One end connects in to a 24v power supply the other connects in to stop, out of stop and in to start, out of start and in to overload 95, out of overload 96 and in to A1.
Make the parallel hold on connection from either side of the start, over to 13 and 14 on the contactor then connect a blue wire from A2 to the power supply. Try drawing a circuit from this example.

No pre fitted links etc just the bare components. In my opinion looking at technical handbook drawings will just cloud things if you are unfamiliar with a DOL starter, as I was. Keep it simple.
if it is anything like the uk test you will have to wire up a socket and a two way switch with some bonding.

for the theory side revise on resistors in series and parrallel and also power factors.

in the practical you will do these as extras

1, safe isolation
2, measuring resitors in series and parrallel
3, wire up an DOL starter with two stop and two start buttons but you use leads

hi j. i done the assessment in july. if youre not used to pvc conduit i'd probably get some (and a spring) and have a few goes. the spacing is something they specify. (i.e. you install to a dimensioned sketch) there was a 90 deg bend and a double set. its not massive but if you havent experienced pvc it could catch you out.
basic testing of your install is, insulation resistance and earth continuity really. the wiring systems are different over here so the assessors arent too bothered about uk testing methods.

hope this helps

I did my assessment also in July. Glasgow was my venue and we were the first to do it at that tech. I brought all my P.P.E. across from N.Ireland and only used my boots. I did have lock offs with me but I do a lot of Testing and Inspecting. None of the other guys there had any and the assessors produced some but they didn't fit the U.K. standard isolaters. I found that the assessment was very laid back [in true Aussy standard] and if you were aware of what you should do you didn't always have to do it. On the isolation etc. the assessor stands beside you and if you give him a little running commentary on what and why you are doing something it lets him know your competant as well as helping you not to forget something as you go. Bring a battery drill with you for mounting the dist board and switch boxes etc. One of the guys in my class didn't and he was getting in a bit of a flap as he thought he was falling behind. Check out Steve 'o' for the theory and Dobaman also sent me some good PM's.Davy.
hey easter, the motor question!! you mean the dol starter set? 2 push buttons, 1 start 1 stop?
its connected with banana leads without an actual motor!!
if it is, its very likely you'll do it again. they are super hot on motors down here.

anyhoo, post up if ive got your drift, we can sort you out no problem

If you can read the most basic of wiring diagrams then you wont have a problem. On the london exam, all the components were laid out individualy on a desk.

Take a peice of brown singles - One end connects in to a 24v power supply the other connects in to stop, out of stop and in to start, out of start and in to overload 95, out of overload 96 and in to A1.
Make the parallel hold on connection from either side of the start, over to 13 and 14 on the contactor then connect a blue wire from A2 to the power supply. Try drawing a circuit from this example.

No pre fitted links etc just the bare components. In my opinion looking at technical handbook drawings will just cloud things if you are unfamiliar with a DOL starter, as I was. Keep it simple.

Nah nothing like that, the assessor just asked how you would wire in an extra stop or start switch. Remember - stops in series, starts in parallel. I read some of the other guys were asked questions about the hold on connection but as long as you`re familiar with the circuit you wont have much trouble.

Make sure you know how to wire the motor terminals both for star and delta connection. We didnt wire an actual motor but there is an excercise for this during the test.

Alot of this depends on the assesor you get. mine was sound. and i did see him a few times calming people down and giving them a 2nd chance.

Once he saw you was up to the work he would give little pointers out, but there was a few people that clearly had probably never worked as a spark or were just useless and he saw straight through them hence the reason for this.

There was one guy who took his main earth for his board of the light switch!!!????.

We all felt really relaxed. I did nt struggle with any of the theory or practical but that might have been different if it was not for him being a really nice bloke.

How ever he did say that some of the assessors are complete w**kers. so i hope you get someone who can make you at ease next time.

Heres what i think they mean.

If you look in your practical candidate guide at the back there is a safe isolation that you must learn for the disconnection and reconnection process. its way over the top! but you have to learn it. (some assesors let you take it in and some dont).

The fault finding will be for sure on the motor control circuit. check your parallel hold on the contactor. mine was friged out!

The install...

i got a dis board a single socket 1 x light and 2 switches to be done partly in conduit with some sets etc. make sure you sleeve your straps with brown. make sure your measurements are spot on and your 6mm supply earth is connected to the copper tube (earth rod) from main earthing terminal.
You ll be surprised at what i saw some people doing.

earth all the back of your boxes if there metal.

hope this helps, pm me if you need any more info while its fresh in me head!! if not good luck!

Vetassess assesment is very broad, it seems to look at electronics, domestic wiring as well as light industrial, they seem to be looking for a general level of competance and an understanding of most things.

Electrical units you are quite right in that they expect you to know all of the basic definitions (V, I, R, Z, etc) this will ensure you can understand / answer the paper based question...

ELV, yes 50v in a AC circuit and 120v in a DC... etc etc..

As far as learning all of the formulas off by heart it can do your head in slightly, what i did was refresh myself with all of the basics, ohm's law, reisitance & reactance calculations, RMS etc, i did take a few notes in with me but to honest never needed them..

What did come up that i didn't expect though was transformer winds ratio's and quite a lot of health and safety stuff.

One thing to note (which did worry me a bit!) is that it is all done to our reg's not the AUS/NZ reg's as they are quite different in some respects..

If it helps i will just quickly run through my day for you;

07.45 regsitration, we had to show passports for id etc.

08.00 paper based test, we had to do a few ohms law calculations, resisitance calculations showing overall resistance of circuits with resistors connected in series and/or connected in parrallel, transformer wind ratio's and some general health and safety stuff.

09.00 we were taken into the main practicle room, here we were each given our own boothe, we had to then instal from a paper diagram a consumer unit with x2 circuits, one was for a socket outlet, one was for a lighting circuit with a two way lighting arrangement. the installation used all methods of wirng, T&E clipped, in plastic conduit, metal conduit and loose cable also... this took all day as whilst this was going on we were each individually taken off to do the following;

1, wire up a DOL motor control circuit with thermal overload and on/off switching, we could choose whether to wire it in star or delta.

2, had to connect up a simple pin board with resistors and then calculate the overall resistance of the circuit one arrangement being with the resistors in parrallel and one with a couple in series as well, we also had to test it to prove our calculations.

3, we then had to safely isolate and disconnect a dummy motor, we had to lock it off, apply safety tag's and notices, note down the direction of rotation, power rating, etc, we then had to reconnect it. prior to doing this though we had to write down the whole of the isolation and disconnection process as if we were on site, and the reconnection process, we then also had to test to prove all was safe.

finally we then had to test our main installtion, all of the basic domestic tests you would expect, we all aslo had to prove our 2 way lighting worked!

The day ended around 4pm, we had all had a 1hr lunch break.

There were 8 guys on my test day including myself, all of us bar one had brought our own tools, the guy who hadn't was lent some so it didn't seem to matter either way...

I hope this thread proves useful, if not then... at least i tried..!

If anyone has any useful infor about the ARTC, wiring reg's, on shore experiance or contractor license i would greatly appreciate it..

All the best and hppy sparkin...

the best advice i can offer is to look into the whole process in as much detail as possible before you go over there. do not assume that once you have your visa then your sorted for moving to oz and getting work. you have to be licensed to carry out any electrical work unsupervised.
research what you will need to get your license for the state you will be working in and do as much as possible from the uk before you go. also become familiar with the different classifications for electricians (electrical mechanic or electrical fitter) and decide which one describes the work you do.
be prepared for the fact that it could take up to a year from arriving in oz to getting your unrestricted license. check if you have to sit any practical or theory exams and what they entail. i was going to do my license in WA but it would have taken between two and six months. im now doing it in South Australia where it will take me three days!
i thought that once i had my visa i was sorted and that people would be throwing job offers at me! i would have been completely knackered if i had gone over wearing blinkers

hi all,
This thread never dies, but plese don’t starve it to death.post whatever info u havekeep it live.Im back to forum after my vetassess test.my test was on 06th of Mar.’09 at Mumbai,India.the assessor was frm Batman.. TAFE.he was very friendly to all.other than electrician there were assessment for Airconditioning too.sparkies test ran for 2 days.there were more than 12 candidates.only six were allowed at a time.
The tasks were wiring 2X ckt. (he said mainly they look at your wiring),DoL starter assembling, disconnection and re-connection process, written exam(18 questions).
My assessment went on like this..
0800hrs-sign up-intoduction, assessor expained about the task to be compleated.the tasks were..
Installing aTwo way light point and power point on the wooden board, the dis.board was already installed and RCCB, MCB’s were already mounted on it.there were one main MCB of 80Amps, 2 RCCB’s of 40Amp’s each, three 10Amp’s single pole MCB’s and three 20 Amps single pole MCB’s, told us to select the apropriate protctive devices.(20 amps for power 10 Amp’s for lighting.)we were given HDPE pipes as conduit.we had to install according to the dimesions in the drawing.the earth conductor was left disconnected in the incoming DB(delibrately), so we had to connect it.we were given 2 and half hrs to cmplete the task.after completion he checked the power point with a Digital multi Meter.check was with respect to earth and Live.then between the Nutral and earth, then neutral to Live. I did it in 3 hrs. All tools were given including cordless dril cum screw driver.then he asked me to open the cover of the DB to check for the correct colour code of wires and earth termination.all were correct.
My advice is do not forget to connect the earth conductor in the incoming DB.
Then the discon.process.there was a lamp glowing and a 2000 W heater was running.i was told to switch off the heater’s MCB with out opening the DB cover and sans switching off the light.i found several 20Amps MCBs on the DB but i swthed off the right one at firt attempt. Then i ask for a MCB lock off device to lock the MCB.i was the only guy wo asked or a locking device because we dont use such a locking device in India.we lock it by inserting a metalic pin .promptly he brought a mcb locking device and locked it.then i diconnected the heater, checkd for any live in the diconnected conductor with respectd to earth availabale in the DB.then he asked me ho to check it with a DMM.i shown him the continuty and resistance of it by swithing on the equip. Then check the insulatin with megger note the readings if its ok re-connect it and remove the lock, switch on.
The DoL assembly with remote operation func.
Everything was assembled on a board like contactor, push bottons, aux contact..etc only i had to plugin the loops.all points were marked.so it was so easy for me.it took only 3 minutes to assemble.some guys struggled for hours to complete( not boasting).as im an idustrial sparkie it was easy for me.it was an 24 volts ac ckt.contactor was of 24 volts. So was the 3 phase induction motor.

The Written exam.
There were 18 questions i could anwer all the 18 correctly.i remember a few as follows..
A 10 ohm and a 5 ohm resistors con. In parllell and given 9 volts what’ll be th current.
If th two inductors of 0.2379 XL and 0.2592 XL is in series what’ll be the effective XL?
If voltage doubles in a resistive ckt what happens to Power?
If the voltage reduced to half in a resistive ckt what happens to Power?
Three 32kw 230 vots heaters are connected in star and given 400 three phase volts wat’ll be the power?
A question about Impedence
transformation ratio-primary voltage 60, sec.voltage 20, primary turns 120 whats the sec. turns?
If power factor reduces what happens to current ........etc.

Im thankfull to James and other sparkies for their enlighting posts about vetassess.
I signed off at 1400 hrs.though wiring was little time taking for me ,i was the first guy to complete the assessment as i could save a lot of time in assembly of starter.
At last i asked the assessor about the’ A’ lisencing and duration of TAFE course.he said i need to complete a 10 Night course to sit in licensing exam.when i pointed out about 4 years full time course, he said its not correct.i dont know how far its correct.
I hope that the outcome ‘ll be positive.it take 10 days to come.

Hi Andy...

I have tried to answer as clearly as i can..! Any probs please feel free to ask again...

1. how do you tell the direction of a motor without powering it up.

- A motor should have the direction written on it somewhere, either on the casing as an arrow or on the info plate as DOR clockwise or anti etc...

-i have a dol starter to practice wiring, but that is the extent of my knowledge as far as motor control circuits go. will this be enough. - Should be fie, have you a contactor to play with, maybe a thermal overload switch as well..? maybe try wiring it in star or delta configuration, that should do you on the control side of things.

2. at the start of the isolation process you need to check the outer casing is 'not live' by testing to the known earth. what form does the known earth come in. - It's a bit vague but anything you know, and can prove to be a good earth idealy by testing it, alternatively an earth rod with a cable attached..! The problem in Oz is most houses have overhead live and neutral supplies only, the earthing is then a strap from the neutral buzz bar to the earth in the dis board, as well as an earth rod... it's know as MEN, multiple earthed neutral...

- is the proving unit to check your tester a near by socket or an actual proving unit. - I use a proving unit... But you could always play about with a socket if you want..

- if its a socket are you allowed to open it up to prove your testers. As you know when isolating and checking you testers on site its a little bit less anal - Easiest thing would be to get a socket tester, that way you know it's all working without taking it apart... It would look more professional..!

Hope that helps...

Hi Esthapan..

My answers are:

1)do i need to carry tools(including drill m/c) at the time of prac.? - I just took hand tools and my tester, some people had power drill but not really needed

2) what about PPE? protective shoes r with me.but i don't use apron,glouse and safetyhelmet.is it necessary to carry the said items? - I just had boots on, i took gloves & glasses but it was never asked to see them, so i don't think you should bother, but it does say on the Vetassess list to do so..?

3)does the assessor asks me anything about Au. wiring,safety standards/reg.? - No they make it clear that you are not required to know anything aout the Oz standards as this you do once in Oz at a TAFE college.

4)we use the term earth fault Circuit breake(ELCB ) in place of Earth fault Circit Intereptur(IFCI).which term i should use at the time of prac.?ELCB or EFCI/safety switch. - Either if it comes up, they will know what your taliking about, they just want to know that you have a good practicle knowledge of most things...

5.WHAT IS LOCKING DEVICE?is it a pin used for locking the MCB's?can i use metalic
pin? - It is either a device for locking a MCB in the off position, or for locking a switch in the off postion, it is usually some kind of clamp and a padlock so no-one else can just take the clamo off and turn it on, you should also have a tag that you fit too it so you know when it was turned off, by who and why plus their contact details... The NICEIC do a good kit that comes with all of the bits..

6)does he ask about the current capacity of cables and contactors? - Didn't ask anything, but when you do the practicle rig you have to know what cable to use for a lighting circuit and for a powr circuit... that was all cable selection that happened..!

7)what about electronics?testing of componets and construction - You have to connect resistors in parallel and in series and be able to calculate and test the voltage drop as well as the resistance of the circuit, but other than that the only electronics that came up was calculation transformer wind ratio's and voltage stepping.

Hope that helps..

Hi Estahapan..
I hope the following helps... these are according to Australian rules / regs, not just the Uks..

Disconnection Process

Notify personnel of presence on work site.
Personnel to be notified in immediate area that you are to commence disconnection and interruption to supply.
Will removal of protective devices affect essential service?
Test voltage tester at known ‘LIVE’ source for correct operation before use.
Ensure the frame of the equipment in not ‘LIVE’ by testing between frame/chassis and the known earth.
Test voltage tester at known ‘LIVE’ source for correct operation after use.
Take operational details of appliance e.g. kW and voltage.
Take direction of rotation (DOR) of motor (where applicable).
Complete details on danger tags e.g. name, date, fault, etc.
Affix danger tags to isolation points, e.g. appliance, isolating switch, switchboard etc.
Determine location of appropriate protective device.
Do not leave exposed LIVE terminals/conductors as switchboard or appliance.
Test voltage tester at known ‘LIVE’ source for correct operation before use.
Before touching the appliance conductors, test for LIVE.
Test between – all conductors & known earth.
This test should also include test for LIVE between the protective earthing conductor & the known earth.
The appliance conductors must also be tested for LIVE by testing between all conductors.
This includes the protective earthing conductor.
Test voltage tester for correct operation on known LIVE source after using it.
Isolate protective device by applying lock-dog & lock or inserting ‘dummy’ fuse wedge in fuse base.
Terminate conductors in approved manner and enclose in junction box.
Cable ends must be fully insulated.
Affix danger tag to terminated conductors enclosed in junction box.
Ensure terminated conductors are protected against mechanical damage.
Clean up work area & notify personnel.

Reconnection Process

Notify personnel of return to work site.
Personnel to be notified in immediate area that you are to commence disconnection and interruption to supply.
Will removal of protective devices affect essential service?
Ensure the appliance to be reconnected is of the same operational rating e.g. kW amps & voltage etc.
Test insulation resistance and continuity tester on both Meg Ohm (500V) and Ohm scale for correct operation.
Carry out the insulation resistance test on the appliance.
Test between all active & neutral conductors to the earth contact of the appliance.
Not containing sheathed heating elements – not less than 1 MegWContaining sheathed heating elements – not less than 0.01MegWBefore touching final sub-circuit conductors, test for LIVE. Test between – all conductors & the known earth.
This test also includes testing for LIVE between the protective earthing conductor & the effective earth.
The final sub-circuit conductors must also be tested for LIVE by testing between all conductors.
This includes the protective earthing conductors.
Test voltage tester for correct operation on known LIVE source after using it.
Reconnect final sub-circuit wiring to appliance terminals.Carry out continuity test on final sub circuit protective earthing conductor from effective earth to frame of appliance. – this test should be carried out after the circuit conductors have been connected to the equipments terminals and before the power has been restored.
Notify personnel of restoration to power.
Do not leave exposed LIVE terminals/conductors at switchboard or appliance.
Remove lock, lock-dog and switch on circuit breaker or insert correct fuse wedge to restore power.
Check appliance for correct operation e.g. DOR. (Direction of Rotation).
Clean up work area and notify personnel.

Health and safety are quite straight forward it pretty much covers the aspects you will be familiar with in the UK, remember that the test is based on your current knowledge and they do not expect you to be know all about the Oz regs etc.. (for that you need to know how to do CPR etc), if you like try to have a look at the 'Australian Electrical Safety Act 2002' just be aware of the disconnection and reconnection as these cover a lot of the safety aspects.

The disconnection and reconnection are asked for in written format prior to removing the supply to a 'faulty' electrical motor, they basically want to know that as you are about to un-wire a live piece of equipment that you know what you are doing...

The written exam was quite varied, have a look on page 1 of this thread, i have put int that as much as i can remember of the questions themselves... there were resistance calculations, power calculations, transformer wind ratios, ohms law calculations as well as some very general health and safety questions like what fire extinguisher to use on electrical fires etc...

Hope that all helps, if there is anything else just ask and i will try my best..!

Good luck...

James...

Practical Assessment
If you are due to do a practical electrician assessment with VETASSESS, it will take place in City College, Birmingham,London. Edinburgh etc and will be over 2 days. It is your responsibility to find accomodation.
A practical assessment is outlined, and you are provided with an individual work bay in the college. You are provided with info on what is required -ie cables run in conduit (saddle bends etc), surface mounted, distribution board, accessories etc. All materials are provided (eg switches, cable, d/b,mcb's, conduit). At the end (allowed 3hrs) you will need to test the electrical installation (IR and continuity), record results, and finally make the inst. live. I recommend you take your IR/Cont tester (make sure it's calibrated!).
After a brief lunch, you are then given a 3 page written test, and this covers questions such as resistors in parallel, series, units of measurements etc. The type of thing you learn at college....
There are another series of practicals. One of them is to wire a DOL starter from scratch with a remote on and emergency stop. After completion and working, a fault is made on this, and you have to carry out full test proceedures to rectify.
After all this, you are then given a series of technical questions verbally, and then this is followed by a technical interview.
I was absolutely knackered at the end!!
Everything is explained very well to you by the assessor. You are under constant supervision, and throughout the practical assessment you will be asked technical questions, such as expected readings on inspection and testing work, expected earth fault loop readings etc. This is from memory, and you are not allowed any books such as BS7671 on site guide etc.
You are required to wear PPE clothing etc as required by the college.
You will then find out if you have been successful by receipt of letter from Vetassess. The assessor is not able to provide you with the outcome.

It's worth all the hastle, because at the end of the day you are assessed here and not in Oz, and you are able to apply for provisional licence when you arrive in Oz. The assessor is from Box Hill TAFE, which is one of the organisations that carries out assessments of migrants in Oz.

Blah Blah Blah
Orrin
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:43 am
Just Joined

kennymac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vetassess Prac, "cut and paste"

thanks for the info
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

orrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really nice

A little more I found..

Procedure for disconnection of Electrical Appliance

1 Notify all relevant persons of the intended work to be carried out
: Maintenance Staff.

2 Check with the company you are working for any required
: Permits to Work, and Relevant paper work .for disconnection of appliance & reconnect of appliance from relevant staff.
: Check the estimated time of disconnection of equipment.

3 Check with maintenance staff to ensure NO Essential Services shall be affected. (Example) Fire Pumps, Emergency Lifts, Smoke and Emergency Lighting+ Fire Fighting Equipment.
5 Check for disruption of 3 phase loading (NO Single Phasing of Equipment)
Single phasing = disconnection of 1 phase increases loading on apparatus.

5 Trace circuit to be disconnected to the Isolation Point.
: Isolated = Completely Disconnected.
: Isolated and Earthed = Circuit is Dead and cables connected together.
: Trace circuit back to isolation point.

6 Identify any Isolation devices.
(Example) Fuses, Circuit Breakers, Switches, Switchboards.

Procedure for Start of Test
7 : Calibrate all test equipment.
: From a good known Earth reference point: test the Voltmeter.
: Test for any LIVE Equipment to a good known Earth.
: The testing device records results that may operate the Protective devices.
: From the Earth reference point provided check all steelwork on the apparatus under test and scrape away “Paintwork” Using the Volt meter provided check for ZERO Volts on the Meter.

: Always test Volt Meter provided before and After every part of all testing.
: Do not forget to use the Earth Reference Point Provided by the Examining Body.

8 Tag all Areas of intended disconnection.
: When the appliance you are working on is Disconnected Tag all cables.
: Tag off switchboard in a SAFE Position.
: Locate correct fuses or circuit breaker & remove fuses from the fuse carrier and
: Tag fuse carrier
: Record your name and contact details on relevant Tag.
: Record relevant department information, (date, time) company you have been employed by onto Tag of disconnection.
: All Tagged equipment must be signed by the qualified person performing the disconnection of the apparatus.
: Replace “Empty” fuse carriers into switchboard line.

9 Actual Disconnection of Apparatus. If this is a motor
: Switch on apparatus and record D.O.R. (Direction of Rotation)
: Move the switch to the on position and check rotation of motor shaft.
: Record all information of Name Plate provided.
: Remove Fuses 1 at a time and test for Live Voltage on contacts at point of disconnection (Joint Box) at Appliance.

9 (a) : Test between all combinations for LIVE Voltage using the Volt Meter.
: Test Actives to Earth.
: Test Actives to Neutral.
: Test all combinations of L1, L2, L3. if Three Phase.
: Test Neutral and Earth.
Record all Test Results.

(Note) : Before removal of fuses from switchboard (Procedure)
1 : Ensure correct safety clothing is worn.
2 : Visually inspect the area you intent to isolate.
3 : Visually inspect protective devices (Fuses, Fuse Carriers, circuit breakers)
4 : With arm straight one hand in pocket (For safety)
6 : Look away while extracting fuse from switchboard.
:Always Act in a Safe Manner.
7 : Before any disconnection Always test for Live Voltages.
: After disconnection of apparatus test all cables with Voltage Meter.

9 (b): Remove 1 fuse at a time from switchboard.
: Remove fuse from fuse carrier and place fuse in a secure location (pocket).
: Replace Blank fuse carrier into switchboard line.
: Record Fuse type and current rating of fuse on information card provided.
By Examining Board (Examiner).
(Note) DO Not at any time leave ANY Fuses or Elements in or at the fuse board

9 (c) : Testing at apparatus (Motor).
: After disconnection of cables test with Volt Meter.(Record any results).
: The Earth is the 1st system of protection for you.
: 1st test all Active conductors.
: 2nd test neutral conductor.
: Test Earth conductor last.
: Make a sketch of any connections L1 L2 L3 and any colour coding of active conductors if cables are all the same colour at the motor then use identifying tape to distinguish L1 L2 L3.
: Record if motor winding are wired in Star or Delta on nameplate.
: Tape all cables with insulation tape each cable must have a minimum of 4 wraps of insulation tape completely covering all exposed conductors.
: For mechanical protection insert cables from motor into a Joint Box and tie back to protect.

11 : Enquire at all times to confirm if apparatus is to be disconnected and re connected.
12 : Enquire if you are required to submit a SAFETY CERTIFICATE.

Reconnection of Electrical Apparatus

1 : Notify all relevant persons of the intended work to be carried out

2 : Visual inspection that Tags are in place at
: ( a ) : Isolation point (Joint Box). At Appliance
: ( b ) : Contactor.
: ( c ): Switchboard.

3 : Visual check of fuses, circuit breakers have NOT been replaced by others.

4 : Remove Joint Box and insulation tape, Earth 1st. (Essential)
: Test for a good known Earth connection using the Volt Meter.
: Test for Live between Earth and all LIVE Conductors.
: Test Volt Meter for (Live or Active) reading using a good known power source.
(This test is to confirm correct functioning of Volt Meter).

“Before any connections of cables always check and test the Meter you intend to use. (This may save your LIFE).
(a) : Using a Insulation Resistance and Continuity Tester set the meter to the Ohm scale and calibrate by connecting both leads together. Record results.
(b) : Using the Resistance meter test between Earth and all parts of the apparatus under test Maximum reading not to Exceed 0.1 Ohm. Dependant on which state your in. Record all test readings.
(c) Test Rotating parts of motor (motor shaft) this reading NOT to exceed
1.ohm Resistance Maximum.

If The Test FAILS

You must inform the “examiner”

This test does not conform to the required standard and has FAILED. The resistance reading recorded on the rotating parts of the apparatus under test exceed the maximum permissible value of 0.1 Ohm. (Deepnding of State’s)

5 : Insulation Resistance Test at 500V Range setting on the Meter
: Calibrate your meter before commencing any test (set meter to zero)
The test must obtain a minimum reading of 1M/Ohm or a reading on the meter scale of Infinity.
: 1st connect the Earth lead of the test meter to the Earth conductor then connect the other test lead to each Active in turn, Record all meter readings.

6 : Check your motor schematic drawing for correct cable connection sequence then replace cables onto motor post L1 L2 L3 and tighten nuts.
7 Notify all relevant persons regarding Re Energizing Apparatus

8 : Replace all protective devices, Fuses, Circuit Breakers, in the Exact same order they were initially removed.

Sequence of Re-Inserting Protective Devices.

9( a ): Looking away from the switchboard, distribution board, insert the protective device into the Live connection.

9( b ): Lock switchboard or distribution board.
9( c ): When safe switch on the apparatus.
9( d ): Check for correct rotation of motor shaft.
9( e ): Run apparatus for a given period of time for effective functioning of apparatus.
9( f ): Complete relevant safety certification.
9( g ): The person who completes the Safety Certificate has a Maximum of 2 working days by means of electronic communication (Telephone) to lodge the safety certificate to the chief electrical inspectors office.

In Australia

The person who completed the Certificate of electrical Safety has
2 days to register a safety certificate with the energy safe of the state they live in also 4 Days to issue a safety certificate to the customer.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

orrin;7706798

where did you get the disconnect & reconnect procedure from.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

All info from this site and a bit from pomsinoz.
I have now done my assessment and passed so if anyone needs help just pm me.
Cheers
Orrin
Old Jul 18th 2009, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

orrin;7763193

thats fine mate i actually produced that procedure for people on these sites.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

This is almost exactly how you get tested on the dol starter. I say almost as I have forgotten the correct symbols for the individual components. But that is very close!! The contactor, start, stop and power are all connected to connector blocks as in the drawing. From there you connect the circuit as shown with red and blue leeds. But they could be pink for all anyone cares.
The components of the contactor that are unused are not connected to the terminal blocks so you dont need to use them! (but use all the ones connected)
We did not have to connect to any motor terminals.

So very easy.....

out positive power ........... in stop
out stop ........... in start
out start .......... in thermal overload (cant remember symbol)
out thermal overload ......... in contactor coil A1
out contactor coil A2 .......... in power negative (neutral)

NB!!! Then add parallel MC/4 branch, over start contacts as shown in diagram.

Just remember that any additional start buttons will be added in the same way (parallel).
Any additional stop buttons will have to break the series circuit and have to be added in series.
I must say that this is how I got tested in july 2009 Blackburn college UK.
I am sure it will stay the same over the next few months.

The disconnect and reconnect part of the assessment is the most important!!
Know all the steps from the information kit given to you by vetassess and
Dont touch the "heater" before you have tested to see if the outer casing is live under a fault condition!!
Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: doc
DOL Starter.doc (58.0 KB, 530 views)