Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

vetassess no longer acessing skills

vetassess no longer acessing skills

Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

deanc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vetassess no longer assessing skills

Hi All

My agent has just told me that Vetassess is no longer assessing skills for visas, they are to be accessed by TRA now and there has been some changes to the skills occupation list aswell, does any body know any more about this and is our vetassess skills assesment still valid as I have seen and read on some other sites that our vetassess assessments are no longer valid and all visa applications that have been lodged since june 2010 with the vetassess assessments are not valid as well.

They say that DIAC will make an anouncement on the 5 Dec, but when i look on the DAIC website i cant find anything pertaining to the above, the only thing i can find is this.

Skilled Migration: Change of Skills Assessing Body for Certain Trade Skills Occupations
December 03, 2010
Australia's Department of Immigration has issued a new Skilled Occupations List, with the main change affecting those with certain trade skills occupations.

Australia's Department of Immigration has issued a new Skilled Occupations List, with the main change affecting those with certain trade skills occupations.

More specifically, for those who lodge visa applications under subclasses 175, 176, 475, 487, and 886 from the 1st of July, 2010 VETASSESS has been removed as the skills assessment authority, and Trades Recognition Australia is now the only skills assessing authority for the following occupations:

* Motor mechanic (general) – ANZSCO Code 321211
* Diesel Motor Mechanic – 321212
* Motorcycle Mechanic – 321213
* Small engine mechanic – 321214
* Bricklayer – 331111
* Carpenter and Joiner – 331211
* Carpenter – 331212
* Joiner – 331213
* Plumber (General) – 334111
* Electrician (General) – 341111
* Airconditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic – 342111
* Electrical Linesworker – 342211
* Technical Cable Jointer – 342212

Note: When lodging a visa application under Australia's general skilled migration program all applicants must obtain a pre visa application skills assessment from the competent assessing authority, as designated by the Department of Immigration.

This change appears likely to have an adverse impact on those individuals with trade skills who have already committed time and money to a skills assessment with VETASSESS. It remains to be seen whether such individuals will be recognised by the Department of Immigration, and whether there will be transitional provisions that smooth the pathway for such persons.

Last edited by deanc; Dec 5th 2010 at 6:34 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: vetassess no longer acessing skills

This it what it says about electrician (General)

Electrician (General) 341111 TRA *

* For occupations which have a mandatory requirement for a person to hold a licence or registration of a
particular kind, or to be a member (or a member of a particular kind) of a particular professional body, in
order for that person to work in Australia in that occupation, the relevant Assessing Authority is the body
specified in column B of this schedule or the body which administers the licence, registration or
membership for that occupation.

* For occupations which have TRA * (Trades Recognition Australia) listed as the Assessing Authority in
column B of this schedule, the relevant Assessing Authority is TRA or the Department of Employment and
Workplace Relations, or a body nominated by that department for the purpose of trade skills assessment, in
the State or Territory where the visa applicant has been nominated to work.

I wonder if they are going to honour our vetassess assessments like they did when it went from TRA too Vetassess
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
10089LI.pdf (306.7 KB, 273 views)
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:46 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deanc
This it what it says about electrician (General)

Electrician (General) 341111 TRA *

* For occupations which have a mandatory requirement for a person to hold a licence or registration of a
particular kind, or to be a member (or a member of a particular kind) of a particular professional body, in
order for that person to work in Australia in that occupation, the relevant Assessing Authority is the body
specified in column B of this schedule or the body which administers the licence, registration or
membership for that occupation.

* For occupations which have TRA * (Trades Recognition Australia) listed as the Assessing Authority in
column B of this schedule, the relevant Assessing Authority is TRA or the Department of Employment and
Workplace Relations, or a body nominated by that department for the purpose of trade skills assessment, in
the State or Territory where the visa applicant has been nominated to work.

I wonder if they are going to honour our vetassess assessments like they did when it went from TRA too Vetassess
see
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695737
each version quotes a differing trade assessor??

Last edited by steve`o; Dec 5th 2010 at 7:51 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
see
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695737
each version quotes a differing trade assessor??

I saw the new papers today from DIAC and it seems that they are reverting to the TRA for skills assessments.

I will maybe look it up when I get back to Aus later this week, don't really have time just now though.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks steve'o and wendy, I have just spoken with TRA and they say they know nothing about this and if we are from one of the five countries (South africa, United Kingdom, etc) then the assessing authority is Vetassess and it would be "IMMPOSIBLE" to get our skills assessed through TRA as they wont look at it.

Cheers