Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Uk Electrician needing help in oz!!!

Uk Electrician needing help in oz!!!

Old May 22nd 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Electrician needing help in oz!!!

James22, i also forgot to mention there is lots of work here for sparks doing panel wiring, also someone mentioned there is no steel conduit or galv conduit, thats funny mate i was just installing some last friday on a job, i have NOT seen any decent pipe vices here though like the ones we used to use when in contracting.
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by James22
Hello all

My name is James I am new to this forum, hope you guys don't mind me asking for your advice any would be greatly appreciated

I am 22 am a fully qualified uk sparky have got city and guilds part 1 +2 16th edition and am2 and today got my results back from my 2391!!!! passed so am very happy. the reason for my thread is that my girfreind and I are travelling to oz in june starting of in Melbourne, and are generally travelling all over looking at going to perth, brisbane, sydney, etc basically looking for where we like to hopefully buy and stay. I understand by reading some of your threads that you need a licence to work in Australia depending on what state you are living in, is this hard to gain? I have worked for acompany for the last 4 years that manufacture control panels, and install them on site useing galve conduit, and galve trunking, does anybody know if there is work for control panel builders, have searched the web but haven't found that many adverts, I do have experience in commercial, domestic, as well.

Reason why we are coming out is that house prices in uk is just to much for us to afford, + have seen some stunning houses on real estate au for something more realistic and what we could afford + with the way the uk is going the quality of life is a big

Sorry about the essay guys, just we are a bit nervous about leaving so any feedback that you could give us, we would be most gratefull!!

Kind regards

James + Leone
Hi james22

Me and my girlfriend are doing exactly the same as you for the same reasons. We havn't got lots of money and i really need to be workin as electrician when we decide where to stay. We are on WH visas but hope to get them extended by doing some seasonal work. Would be good to stay in touch and see how you go on.

cheers
jamie
Old May 22nd 2007, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

James22 is just really niceJames22 is just really niceJames22 is just really niceJames22 is just really niceJames22 is just really niceJames22 is just really niceJames22 is just really niceJames22 is just really nice

Hey guys

thanks for the feedback.

We have both been granted working holiday visas, we want to have a look about and see where we want to end up, so I appreciate the advice about licence's being impossible if we're not going to be in one place for a length of time, however I was hopeing to get some work just purely to help fund our trip, would this be possible as a sparkys mate? or do you need a licence for panel wiring?

The grand plan is to find somewhere we both like as only on a working holiday visa is it possible to gain sponsership of an employer which will enable us both to stay in oz, then once we are setteled in one area will be able to follow your advive on the Nightmare :curse::curse::curse: procedure of licencing!!!

Just out of intrest what would I look at applying for, as said before at moment do control panel wiring, however do alot of domestic, and also alot of industrial.

thanks in advance guys
Old May 22nd 2007, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

James22 is just really niceJames22 is just really niceJames22 is just really niceJames22 is just really niceJames22 is just really niceJames22 is just really niceJames22 is just really niceJames22 is just really nice

Hey Jamiefrod

Yes mate be good to stay in touch with someone who is doing something similar

I heard of Australia crying out for electricians and thought it would be a great opputunity for both me and my girlfriend to give it a shot over there, we have been looking to buy a house for the six months but it is just to expensive!!!!:curse: don't want to rent as dead money.

I appreciate the other guys advice on this forum they obviously know what there talking about, it just seems a bit demoralizing at the moment,
Looking forward to going over, Starting of in Melbourne what are you and your partner looking at doing??
Old May 22nd 2007, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

My daughter is over there travelling and so far she has only been able to pick up a bit of cafe work, the working holiday visa is there to help you out with a bit of spending money here and there, not for you to depend on working the whole time. As the rules on emigrating change all the time, who knows wha is round the corner.

All I am really saying is don't depend on getting work like you do here.

Electrics without your licence, forget it.

Good lick with your plans, it's a great place to visit.
Old May 22nd 2007, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

hi somme

I take it electrical work is out of the question alltogether then? do you know about any info on getting sponsered and being able to stay there? maybe then I could apply to get the ball rolling for my licence
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

I don't know about getting sponsored, some posts say it is almost immpossible. I think go and have a look,if you like what you see then get in touch with a good migrant agent and ask the question, what visa how do I get it! You may have to come home but maybe not, have you been on any backpackers sites? It is more expensive than you think, despite the good exchange rate.

Let us know how you get on.

Ask if you have any further questions.
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

cheers somme!!!

thought it was going to be alot easier than this
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

James, maybe it would be worth your while waiting to see what the new TRA changes will bring. I know they are planning on making it so that licencing requirements can be sorted out from the UK. These changes will be taking effect from 1st July, so it's not too far away and if you keep an eye on this site I will post the changes as soon as I know them.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:17 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all

My name is James I am new to this forum, hope you guys don't mind me asking for your advice any would be greatly appreciated

I am 22 am a fully qualified uk sparky have got city and guilds part 1 +2 16th edition and am2 and today got my results back from my 2391!!!! passed so am very happy. the reason for my thread is that my girfreind and I are travelling to oz in june starting of in Melbourne, and are generally travelling all over looking at going to perth, brisbane, sydney, etc basically looking for where we like to hopefully buy and stay. I understand by reading some of your threads that you need a licence to work in Australia depending on what state you are living in, is this hard to gain? I have worked for acompany for the last 4 years that manufacture control panels, and install them on site useing galve conduit, and galve trunking, does anybody know if there is work for control panel builders, have searched the web but haven't found that many adverts, I do have experience in commercial, domestic, as well.

Reason why we are coming out is that house prices in uk is just to much for us to afford, + have seen some stunning houses on real estate au for something more realistic and what we could afford + with the way the uk is going the quality of life is a big

Sorry about the essay guys, just we are a bit nervous about leaving so any feedback that you could give us, we would be most gratefull!!

Kind regards

James + Leone
if you want work in cairns as a spark when your travelling through give me a pm. you will find that it is possible to get work although it may be as a ta (officially). we had a couple of irish backpackers work for us last year.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

dondownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

james, with your skills and experience you will get panel wiring work at least, but sometimes you will have to get out there and find it. Last year (whilst travelling on WHV) i had the opportunity of two jobs doing panel wiring in brisbanes outer suburbs (one with an agency and one from an add in the paper). i took the job from the paper as it was $6 per hour more and they lent me a van to get to work in, they even offered to sponsor me before i left after 3 months.

the beauty of being skilled and being able to take advantage of the working holiday scheme is that you can find work, some cheap rented digs and get a feel for the different cities in oz... yet it is still easy to turn your back on oz if it does'nt live up to your expectations.

having an artc will help you get work and if you can prepare it before you get here and then lodge the application when you arrive you will have it within a month. its only 120 quid. This will also make you more salable to potential sponsors. (if you do this, make sure you clearly state that you also want a "pre-migration letter" along with your certificate.

most importantly....dont waste the holiday part of the WHV.

don
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

Apply to the TRA for your ARTC, and get the certificate sent to your mates house ( Carpenter who you mention earlier). This way at least you can hit the ground running when you arrive!
As for the exams swap up a bit, there was 8 electricians attended the practical the same day as myself 2 walked out after the the examiner had explained the trade test, 1 gave up half way through, 2 of us passed first time two others have resits and 1 lad has to attend a TAFE course.

Dont give up it will be worth it in the long run.

Brian
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Hey Guys Cheers for the feedback, will get my ARTC sorted here first i think then get it sent to family friends house in Melbourne then pick it up on the way through, I think I read on a previous thread that ARTC ring you and interveiw you on the phone? and also if need certificates sending of can I send copies or do they have to be originals??

Thanks youngy, will be travelling to cairns appreciate the offer and will bear you in mind
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:18 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Guys Cheers for the feedback, will get my ARTC sorted here first i think then get it sent to family friends house in Melbourne then pick it up on the way through, I think I read on a previous thread that ARTC ring you and interveiw you on the phone? and also if need certificates sending of can I send copies or do they have to be originals??

Thanks youngy, will be travelling to cairns appreciate the offer and will bear you in mind
Hi mate my ARTC aplication is flying to them as we speak! I got all my photocopies signed by a solicitor, she signed about 30 for me and cost me £5. Not sure what the crack is with the phone interview think they may pick the odd one now and again or if your application aint up to scratch they do it?

Stu
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Het stu

Can the ARTC be sorted out from uk end, have a freind in Melbourne I could Use as a fixed address to get it sent to. Got an email from ARTC today to say sort it out when you get here basically. Just thought this was a bit odd???
good luck with your application mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.