Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

TRA for skilled migrant visa?

TRA for skilled migrant visa?

Old Sep 6th 2011, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

MattRidds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TRA for skilled migrant visa?

Hi there,

I'm a sparks in the UK looking to get a permanent visa in Oz. I have viewed some other threads on here and it seems apparent I may need to go down the VETASSESS route as evidence to obtain a skilled migrant visa rather than using my ARTC! Is this the case as it seems quite long winded and expensive?

Also would I be able to obtain my full License in Australia by just visiting on a tourist visa as I have already used my WHV?

Any help appreciated!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: TRA for skilled migrant visa?

Originally Posted by MattRidds
Hi there,

I'm a sparks in the UK looking to get a permanent visa in Oz. I have viewed some other threads on here and it seems apparent I may need to go down the VETASSESS route as evidence to obtain a skilled migrant visa rather than using my ARTC! Is this the case as it seems quite long winded and expensive?

Also would I be able to obtain my full License in Australia by just visiting on a tourist visa as I have already used my WHV?

Any help appreciated!
Hi there,
yeah, this is a bit of a grey area. It would be, on the face of it, a bit daft for you to have to do a VETASSESS assessment as the ARTC is basically an equivalent to the OTSR which is issued by VETASSESS.
The only people who can really answer this are DIAC (department of immigration) and/or the TRA who carry out skills assessments and delegate offshore skills assessments to VETASSESS.
You could fill out the relevant enquiry forms for DIAC and for the TRA and outline clearly to them that you have an ARTC and have already been assessed, otherwise they'll probably just steer you down the VETASSESS route, needlessly IMO.
Oh, and don't expect an immediate response. I recently enquired to the TRA and it took them over a month to respond, so you might want to ring them and email them just to see if the responses are consistent.
Regards Derren