Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician moving to Oz, HELP NEEDED.

Electrician moving to Oz, HELP NEEDED.

Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Reggie7777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician moving to Oz, HELP NEEDED.

I was reading different pages there about the tra and vetnaesee but am lost. Am a jib qualified electrician from n.ireland. Am hoping to move to melbourne in feb. Do u need to do the courses to find work r can u work away as a sparks mate r helper without the course. Can anyone offer me help on what i hav to do?? Any expats working in melbourne?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:38 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician moving to Oz, HELP NEEDED.

Depends on your circumstances,

If you are moving to Oz of the back of your partners visa then you can just apply to the TRA for an Artc (Australian recognised trade certificate) and start the process of convertint this into a licence (another story entirely).

If you need to have you skills recognised for migration purposes (if you are the primary applicant for a visa) thenyou will most likely need to go through Vetassess although I have heard they is talk of doing away with the vetassess scheme entirely, in any case if you are the primary applicant and you are just starting the process I'd be amazed if you were anywhere near moving to Melbourne by next year.

It does all depend on your circumstances and without knowing more it is hard to advise
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, yeah am traveling on my own visa. My mates r away but there joiners and no help to me. It's Jst a year working visa there away on they had no problem getting them and then u hav option of another year if u do 6weeks farm work r fishing r something along those lines. Am just trying to find out wot it is i need to seek work.

Cheers.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:14 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

In that case take my word for it and seize the opportunity to apply for an artc through tra, you are elligible with a working holidy visa, then get a sparks licence when you are out there, it'll cost you a bit but will accelerate any future migration plan by making employer sponsorship for a sparks viable. Good luck and enjoy, i did a rtw trip in 2000 with the mrs, the best year of my life, just wish i'd known how much of a palaver this migration game was back then, i'd have made provisions for the future for sure!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Do you know how much it is to apply for the artc? Would I be able to work away and do the course at the same time. I ere the course is big money?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:56 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Artc application costs AUD$300.

As for working unlicenced, i have seen on here that it is apparently easiest to work as an unlicence sparks in new south wales.