mechanic or fitter?

Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:20 am
Just Joined

tetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the rough
Default mechanic or fitter?

Just having a look through the TRA website so I can get all the information to start my ARTC application, when reading through the trade classification list it looks like they class an electrician as either a mechanic or fitter.

What is the definition/difference between them?
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice
Default Re: mechanic or fitter?

mechanic = unrestricted license, you can do whatever you want to do + you can be an electrical contractor

fitter = license restricted to maintenance work only (motors, control switches etc) + you can't be an electrical contractor
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:24 am
Just Joined

tetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the roughtetley86 is a jewel in the rough

Cheers mate
Old Sep 10th 2011, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all

Hi Guys,
Just wondering if you get a mechanics license instead of a fitters, can you still get work doing breakdowns etc cos I've done both. Once I get over there I was wanting to keep my options open, then hopefully I can get on the job ladder a bit quicker.
Also, to get your license(as I've already done my vetassess for a PR visa), do I need to write to the TRA as in " A grade license in 4 months" or get in touch with Energy Safe once I get there/from over here before I go?

Cheers
biggaf
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by biggaf
Hi Guys,
Just wondering if you get a mechanics license instead of a fitters, can you still get work doing breakdowns etc cos I've done both. Once I get over there I was wanting to keep my options open, then hopefully I can get on the job ladder a bit quicker.
Also, to get your license(as I've already done my vetassess for a PR visa), do I need to write to the TRA as in " A grade license in 4 months" or get in touch with Energy Safe once I get there/from over here before I go?

Cheers
biggaf
Hi biggaf,
There's no need for you to contact the TRA for an ARTC as you should be in possession of an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) issued by VETASSESS. This means that you can apply to Energy Safety to attend the 2 week course in Perth. Holders of an ARTC and OTSR are able to attend this course in order to obtain a WA A grade licence.
Regards Derren

Last edited by derren7; Sep 10th 2011 at 7:35 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all

Hello Derren7,
Cheers for the reply, so does this mean that once you do the 2 week course you then get the grade A license? Or is there more to do? I've read something about a course book you have to do for a year, or is this in other states?
Complicated stuff all this, when all you want to do is get over there and work!

Cheers,
biggaf.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by biggaf
Hello Derren7,
Cheers for the reply, so does this mean that once you do the 2 week course you then get the grade A license? Or is there more to do? I've read something about a course book you have to do for a year, or is this in other states?
Complicated stuff all this, when all you want to do is get over there and work!

Cheers,
biggaf.
Hi biggaf,
Yep, do the 2 week course and then you can apply for a WA A grade licence with no further tests, apart from doing the white/blue card (which is an equivalent to a CSCS card in the UK) and CPR/first aid course, although these have no bearing on your licence, they just enable you to work on site as far as I know. I'm sure someone will be able to enlighten us on the white card / first aid courses.
If you're referring to doing a log book for a year , then yes ,this applies to other states where you're required to do 'on the job ' gap training, which is not required in WA if you do the 2 week course at CET in Perth.
Regards Derren
Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

If you get a fitter license then you should do a 12 months experience with log book to be able to get a mechanics license.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

So the mechanic license is the definite way to go then. Would you still be ok to do breakdown/maintainance work under this. It's just that I've got about 10yrs as a maint spark and 14 yrs in construction/industrial, and a bit of offshore.
Don't mean to be a pain, but if you don't ask then you'll never know!!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Yes, you still will be ok to do breakdown/maintainance work under this.

Cheers
Old Sep 11th 2011, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info guys, its answered the ' what about work' questions that I've been thinking about while waiting for my visa.

Cheers,
biggaf.