Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

TRA Reference Help (Electrical )(Apologies for double post!)

TRA Reference Help (Electrical )(Apologies for double post!)

Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

sparkatrician is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TRA Reference Help (Electrical )(Apologies for double post!)

Apologies to Admin I posted in the wrong forum earler, feel free to chop my earlier post!

Hi all!, I'm new here so be gentle! :-D

I appplied for my PR back in 2006 and had it granted Sept 07

I have visited Australia Dec 2007 to Jan2008 so my visa is validated.

Due to my qualifications my original application was made as a Electrical Engineering Technologist therefore I'd didn't go down the TRA route.

I am however a timeserved qualified spark and hold the following quals

SVQ Level 3 Electrical Installation Buildings and Structure
C+G 2381 (16th Edition)
C+G 2391 (Inspect and Test)
C+G 2440 (Design and Verification)
ONC Electrical Engineering
HNC Electrical Engineering

I'm hopng to apply for Trades Recognition as an Electrical Mechanic. I'm in the process of filling out the form and I've spoken to my boss and he says he's happy to let me write my own reference (he can't be arsed!!!). :-D

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any guidance as to how indepth the reference needs to be???

Should I make it generic or am I better giving specific examples of what I have done ie Install 160A TPN Distribution board etc, etc with the materials and type of stuff used?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as he TRA thing is the final piece of the jigsaw for me!

I sooo need to get ths right and get my Trade Certificate first time on applying! :-S

I should also explain that I work as a Maintenace Spark, would I be better sticking to the installation side of my job (of which there is quite a lot).

Also how many examples of my work should I include? I've been employed by them for six years...Does 12 examples sound reasonable?

I also have my old SVQ coursework on disk is it worth including this in the application?

A lot of questions for a first post I know

Any help guidance greatly appreciated!!

Dave
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRA Reference Help (Electrical )(Apologies for double post!)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555109

have a look at this post mate
sorry the answers so short but i`m rushing out to work

regards steve
Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

sparkatrician;

list everything tools even if only used the once & the what they have been used for. also all jobs performed explain all then tell them what cable you have used 1 phase or 3 phase again list all sizes & projects you have installed them on, the more you put in the easier it is for them to assess your application i know its hard work but they don't know you from a bar of soap, also they are NOT trade people them self they are pen pushers. so make sure you list everything
Old Sep 13th 2008, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

sparkatrician is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve O

The Pom from Aus

Thanks for all your help guys, I have something on paper now that I think may be suitable.

Would any of you be willing to look over it for me and give me your verdict?.

As I'm approaching this on my own, a couple of independant viewpoints would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM me!

Thanks

Dave
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:52 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkatrician
Steve O

The Pom from Aus

Thanks for all your help guys, I have something on paper now that I think may be suitable.

Would any of you be willing to look over it for me and give me your verdict?.

As I'm approaching this on my own, a couple of independant viewpoints would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM me!

Thanks

Dave
yes no problems just send me a copy

regards steve
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

sparkatrician;

can you also send me a copy so i can have a look at it if that's OK
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:48 pm
Worongary

for anyone else at this stage

just make sure that your references are detailed
so and so worked here was a good time keeper and honest jus wont cut it i`m afraid
you need to cover the following points

What are tradespeople in Australia expected to be capable of?
You must demonstrate that you are capable of doing the broad range of work normally done by, and to the same level of skill as, a tradesperson trained in Australia.

The work of a tradesperson includes:

reading work instructions and technical drawings common to the trade;
planning independently the method and order of doing a job;
using measuring instruments correctly;
marking out, laying out and setting up trade work;
selecting appropriate materials, tools, machines and equipment;
making appropriate settings on tools, machines and equipment;
performing trade work independently; and
checking and /or testing work against established standards.
You must also demonstrate that you have adequate background/theoretical knowledge.

hope this helps

regards steve
Old Sep 14th 2008, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

steve`o;

well said mate i could not have put it better myself, if people make sure everything is added in there application regarding the work they have performed also what tools they have used they shall have a better chance when applying