Tools and Customs

Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Peter_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tools and Customs

Hey Guys, can someone please fill me in on bringing tools into Australia?

Im looking to bring some basic essential hand tools (ie screwdrivers, wire cutters, multimeter etc) in with my luggage pack just to get me started, should this be a problem getting them through customs? They will be clean and wrapped seperately and will they have to be declared?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tools and Customs

Originally Posted by Peter_
Hey Guys, can someone please fill me in on bringing tools into Australia?

Im looking to bring some basic essential hand tools (ie screwdrivers, wire cutters, multimeter etc) in with my luggage pack just to get me started, should this be a problem getting them through customs? They will be clean and wrapped seperately and will they have to be declared?
Hi Peter,
I brought some basic hand tools over in our luggage with no problems. I spread the tools over all 5 cases including the kids luggage, more for weight distribution than any thing else. Obviouosly, don't take them on as hand luggage.
Also, you should give them a good scrub down, and WD40 or grease to prevent any contamination issues.
Regards Derren
Old Jun 14th 2012, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Peter_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Derren,

Thanks for the reply, I wasnt too sure on what way this worked but thats good to know. I'll be bringing just the one main luggage bag, although it shouldnt be a problem packing them together then, as long as I dont exceed the max weight. Thanks again.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

As long as everything is very clean (no rust, mud, sawdust etc...) you'll be fine.

Always declare if unsure, then they'll waive you through.

Just to let you know, Bunnings is Tool heaven and you can get anything and everything, so if anything is marginal to leave behind, you can replace it here.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 14th 2012 at 11:13 am.