Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electricians mate/assistant in Aus

Electricians mate/assistant in Aus

Old Jun 24th 2012, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Mikethespark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricians mate/assistant in Aus

Hi guys/girls,

Been doing some searching on google and it keeps bringing me to this website, im trying to find some info but most is conflicting with the more pages i click on :/

Basically im a fully quald electrician nvq lvl 3 and completed apprenticeship around 2-3 years ago, im currently 25.

Im intending on going to aus (not sure where yet if this makes a difference to any possible answers) for around 1-2 months to get a feel for the place with the intention of a long stay there in the future.

All i want to know is can i work there for the short visit as an electricians mate or some kind of assistant, ive read about artc but as said a lot of conflicting info.

Any info would be great as i know im not going to be there that long if this changes anything.

Kind regards,

Mike
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:55 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricians mate/assistant in Aus

You will need a visa that entitles you to work. At your ave the working holiday visa will probably be your best bet. I'm not an expert but i believe the initial year can be extended by 12 months if you do 3 months in a regional area.

If you want to work and get a feel for it the NSW would probably be the easiest place for you to start. Electrical trades are licenced in Australia but there is a gy who comes on here (jockstar) who says it is not a problem getting work as a supervised unlicensed electrician in nsw. It's what a lot of backpackers do as it takes a while to put the evidence together and completing the necessary courses to work towards getting an appropriate Australian licence.

Hope I've been able to help and good luck
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:43 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
You will need a visa that entitles you to work. At your ave the working holiday visa will probably be your best bet. I'm not an expert but i believe the initial year can be extended by 12 months if you do 3 months in a regional area.

If you want to work and get a feel for it the NSW would probably be the easiest place for you to start. Electrical trades are licenced in Australia but there is a gy who comes on here (jockstar) who says it is not a problem getting work as a supervised unlicensed electrician in nsw. It's what a lot of backpackers do as it takes a while to put the evidence together and completing the necessary courses to work towards getting an appropriate Australian licence.

Hope I've been able to help and good luck
Absolutely correct. NSW you can work without a licence. You will technically be supervised by a licenced sparky. Check in the paper every day and there is usuallly work. Make some calls. There are also agencies around( i have no experience of these) BTW why only come for a couple of months? No where long enough to get a feel for the place. IMHO.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:43 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Absolutely correct. NSW you can work without a licence. You will technically be supervised by a licenced sparky. Check in the paper every day and there is usuallly work. Make some calls. There are also agencies around( i have no experience of these) BTW why only come for a couple of months? No where long enough to get a feel for the place. IMHO.
If his trip is anything like my recce he won't want to go home
Old Jun 24th 2012, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Mikethespark is an unknown quantity at this point

NSW sounds brilliant then.

Would i need to bring all my certs with me aswell?
I had already looked at the working holiday visas and have found them for £180

So anywhere in nsw or certain places better than others to go? i genuinely dont have a clue as ive never been there.

Im going with a friend who does bricklaying and also does concrete flooring and possibly a roofer, whats the chance of these getting work at there trades?

I know ive only stated im going for a month but it could end up being longer if i like it a lot , just dont like spiders lol

Last edited by Mikethespark; Jun 24th 2012 at 11:08 am.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:06 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikethespark

I had already looked at the working holiday visas and have found them for £180

So anywhere in nsw or certain places better than others to go? i genuinely dont have a clue as ive never been there.

Im going with a friend who does bricklaying and also does concrete flooring and possibly a roofer, whats the chance of these getting work at there trades?

I know ive only stated im going for a month but it could end up being longer if i like it a lot , just dont like spiders lol
Sydney!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mikethespark

No, just bring your JIB card, although no harm in scanning your certificates I suppose.