Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Self Employed UK Electrician (Age33) - Best Visa Route?

Self Employed UK Electrician (Age33) - Best Visa Route?

Old May 18th 2011, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

leejames78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Self Employed UK Electrician (Age33) - Best Visa Route?

Hi all & thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

I am a self employed electrician in the U.K. for the last 6 years.
I have family in Melbourne,Sydney,Brisbane & Adelaide and have been wanting to get there for the last 4 years.

I am now looking into viable options.
I have qualifications up to technician level (236 pt3 or "C" cert) i have just completed the 17th Edition reg's update.

Would it be more economical to go stay with my brother in Adelaide & sit courses at their tech college?

Would i need to complete the Vetassess assessment before thinking of flying over?

Any rough idea on cost? I've seen the fees on vetassess' site.

I would hope to complete via the fastest route & crack on! I also understand this may may not be as easy as written!

Any information would be appreciated

Superb site!
Old May 21st 2011, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Self Employed UK Electrician (Age33) - Best Visa Route?

Originally Posted by leejames78
Hi all & thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

I am a self employed electrician in the U.K. for the last 6 years.
I have family in Melbourne,Sydney,Brisbane & Adelaide and have been wanting to get there for the last 4 years.

I am now looking into viable options.
I have qualifications up to technician level (236 pt3 or "C" cert) i have just completed the 17th Edition reg's update.

Would it be more economical to go stay with my brother in Adelaide & sit courses at their tech college?

Would i need to complete the Vetassess assessment before thinking of flying over?

Any rough idea on cost? I've seen the fees on vetassess' site.

I would hope to complete via the fastest route & crack on! I also understand this may may not be as easy as written!

Any information would be appreciated

Superb site!
Hi there,
First off, I would urge you to consult a MARA registered migration agent as they can tell you from the outset what your chances are and their initial consultations are usually free.
The first step towards applying for a visa if you are the main applicant is to have your skills assessed by Vetassess which you probably already know is in excess of £1000. I suspect you will probably need to take an IELTS english test to get the necessary amount of points. I've attached a copy of the new points system which comes into effect in July with an anticipated 65 point requirement. As you have family in OZ then I would imagine that a 176 family sponsored visa would be the ideal one for you but again, a migration agent will be able to give you more accurate advice.
You also might want to visit www.immi.gov.au
Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions.
Regards Derren
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
points-fact.pdf (76.1 KB, 95 views)
Old May 21st 2011, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Further to my previous post and re-reading the new points document it appears that you can only get family sponsorship if you go to regional Australia if I'm reading it correctly, so state sponsorship may be the alternative.
Again, migration agent will advise better
Regards Derren
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Self Employed UK Electrician (Age33) - Best Visa Route?

Hi Derren & thanks for taking time out to reply.

I've been looking over these forums & obv everyones situation is different.

I was hoping to go stay with family & carry out any gap training whilst there. Then search for a sponsor. Now i see it's not that simple

I will get in touch with an agent to get more info but i was going to do it off my own back to save on any fees they may charge should they assist.

Am i right in thinking the best option would be to sign up with Vetassess to get the ball rolling

I visited a seminar in Leeds 2 weeks ago & that's the way he advised & reckoned it's possible to be working in Australia within around 6 months.

I'm struggling to see how that's possible

any info would be much appreciated

Cheers

Lee
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:49 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leejames78
Hi Derren & thanks for taking time out to reply.

I've been looking over these forums & obv everyones situation is different.

I was hoping to go stay with family & carry out any gap training whilst there. Then search for a sponsor. Now i see it's not that simple

I will get in touch with an agent to get more info but i was going to do it off my own back to save on any fees they may charge should they assist.

Am i right in thinking the best option would be to sign up with Vetassess to get the ball rolling

I visited a seminar in Leeds 2 weeks ago & that's the way he advised & reckoned it's possible to be working in Australia within around 6 months.

I'm struggling to see how that's possible

any info would be much appreciated

Cheers

Lee
in reply to the six months bit the only way would be via company sponsorship try if possible to avoid this route as it has some very large pitfalls should things not work out - for example if you loose your companies sponsorship if your made redundant , fired etc you only have 28 days to secure sponsorship elseware before been packed off back tothe UK by immigration and whilst this route has worked for many people i personally wouldnt take the risk, plod on with the skilled independant or family sponsorship if possible as its much safer

regards steve
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

thanks steve`o

yeah after reading posts on here i'm gonna aim for the company sponsorship.

My half brother has been in Australia about 6 years now and has PR. I don't know if he's bothered with citizenship as of yet.

Could he sponsor me? He's an engineer (cnc) (41 yrs old) and his wife has a good managerial job. They own a house with 2 free rooms so i could stay with them for a while.

I wanna go noooooow!

many thanks

Lee