Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

info for non-british electrician

info for non-british electrician

Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:42 am
Just Joined

tigris330 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default info for non-british electrician

Dear all,

I am writing on behalf of my partner who is a Swiss electrician. I know that this forum is specifically for British people, but other forums have not been able to help us out.

We have successfully got out Australian permanent visa and would now like to know how he can go about getting a license in Australia. His skills assessment was via TRA. We know that he can only do the actual assessment when we're in Australia (Victoria), but we're not sure about the following:

- Where can we get material (Australiajn wiring rules) so he can 'study'in advance? Is doing this enough, or does he need to take a course (he's a fully qualified electrician with 10 years of experience). If a course is needed, how long would it take? In general, he can't seem to find any info as to the specifics of the Australian wiring system, and he would like to, because he wants to see how different it is from the Swiss system.

- What happens in the test/assessment?
-Is there anything else which he should keep in mind?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as he wants to be as well prepared as possible before the move so that tests and assessments can be done quickly and can go smoothly.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice
Default Re: info for non-british electrician

The law is the same for everybody. Your hubby should have at least 7 year of experience in the trade or apprenticheship. I am Croat and I've got my ARTC a few weeks ago.

So, just go through TRA web site and read through some of the top threads here.

The test/assesment is about electrotechnology (generally speaking), some of the questions you'll find here. Neither one of the question is about aussie rules, just electrotechnology in theory.

The licencing course takes 2 weeks full time (in WA, don't know for Victoria) after he get an ARTC.

The references about employment should be detailed with the clear description of performed work.

Hope thats gonna help.

Kind regards,

Deyan
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your answer. I'm a little bit confused.

He has already got a positive TRA skills assessment. So you mean that apart from this, he also needs to ARTC? I'm asking this because for the ARTC they are asking for the exact same info as the one he submitted for the skills assessment.
I seem to have read somewhere that the next step is with the Energy safe Victoria, or am I missing something?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

I am not sure, somebody else will help you with that. Probably he doesn't need an ARTC than. He should ring or email the energy office for the info:

Tel: 1800 815 721 OR
(03) 9203 9700
Fax: (03) 9686 2197
Email: [email protected]
Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Deyan
I am not sure, somebody else will help you with that. Probably he doesn't need an ARTC than. He should ring or email the energy office for the info:

Tel: 1800 815 721 OR
(03) 9203 9700
Fax: (03) 9686 2197
Email: [email protected]
No problem. Thanks for your help anyway!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:41 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

You get assessed by the TRA for migration only. Once you come to Oz you can then get an ARTC to get a licence. As you said its basically the same info. But you still have to do it. After you get it you can then go for the licence. ie courses.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jockstar
You get assessed by the TRA for migration only. Once you come to Oz you can then get an ARTC to get a licence. As you said its basically the same info. But you still have to do it. After you get it you can then go for the licence. ie courses.
Thanks for that...it's just ridiculous because it cost a lot of money to certify all the documents, and to get certified translations. we still of course have the translations, but we will need to get the translator to certify new copies....all when TRA received the exact same documents already for the skills assessment...
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

it's expensive and slow process. 30 working days for ARTC, 25 working days for approval letter from Energy safety, 2 weeks full time course, 25 more days for a licence, and heap of money for all of that.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

it's expensive and slow process. 30 working days for ARTC, 25 working days for approval letter from Energy safety, 2 weeks full time course, 25 more days for a licence, and heap of money for all of that.
Thanks for that. It's really helpful to know how long it will take. Do you know if any of it, at least the ARTC can be applied for from abroad? (excuse my ignorance)
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, you can apply for the ARTC from abroad but still you have to have an Aussie address or friends to who you trust (use their address).

There is the form.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Yes, you can apply for the ARTC from abroad but still you have to have an Aussie address or friends to who you trust (use their address).

There is the form.
Thank you very much for the link, as from it I realised that the skills assessment doe count. The first page of the application states that:
No application fee for an initial ARTC application from
Australian residents whose skills have been successfully
assessed by TRA for migration purposes.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

At least something - $300 save
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:51 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tigris330
Thank you very much for the link, as from it I realised that the skills assessment doe count. The first page of the application states that:
No application fee for an initial ARTC application from
Australian residents whose skills have been successfully
assessed by TRA for migration purposes.
This is correct. If like me and many others. You were assessed by the TRA you do not have to pay anything.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Hi Jockstar.

Thanks for that. Did you have to re-submit all documents, or does TRA somehow still have they from the skills assessment?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 6:52 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by tigris330
Hi Jockstar.

Thanks for that. Did you have to re-submit all documents, or does TRA somehow still have they from the skills assessment?
You have to submit all again. Stupid i know. But thats what you have to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.