Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Restricted electrical licence?

Restricted electrical licence?

Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Fitterjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Restricted electrical licence?

Hi everyone I’m new on here and posted a similar thread elsewhere.

Just wondered if anyone new the quickest way to get a restricted electrical licence?

I am heading for Brisbane/Gold coast area and have done research about the REL in Queensland at the TAFE collage and basically you need a job and be sponsored by your employer before you can enrol. I would like to get the licence ASAP. I am just trying to maximise my chances of getting a decent job when I get to Oz.
I don’t mind going to collage or another state to get a REL.
I am a maintenance fitter with a permanent visa.
I have a ARTC mechanical fitter
I have a electrical HNC
I have placed a post on this site but because the rules are different for each state and it’s very confusing.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

andywilson19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Restricted electrical licence?

quickest is to do wiring regs course at peer in adelaide by corresponance then fly down to take exam http://www.peer.com.au

Andy
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

someone with a bit more experience than me might correct me but sure you will need an artc in an electrical trade first? noticed you said yours was a mechanical artc.
this may be a stumbling block because you havent done an apprenticeship in an electrical trade? will have a look for you and see if i can dig up any info.
try sending an email to the different licensing autorities (can find them easily on the web)
they should be able to explain your options.

lee.

Last edited by leeob77; Aug 18th 2008 at 12:01 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeob77
someone with a bit more experience than me might correct me but sure you will need an artc in an electrical trade first? noticed you said yours was a mechanical artc.
this may be a stumbling block because you havent done an apprenticeship in an electrical trade? will have a look for you and see if i can dig up any info.
try sending an email to the different licensing autorities (can find them easily on the web)
they should be able to explain your options.

lee.

ARTC as an Electrical Mechanic is correct cert to apply for a licence. An ARTC as Electrical Fitter gains you a restricted licence only in most states - these are the only two that the TRA will assess you for once you have your visa
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
ARTC as an Electrical Mechanic is correct cert to apply for a licence. An ARTC as Electrical Fitter gains you a restricted licence only in most states - these are the only two that the TRA will assess you for once you have your visa
what i was trying to ask is whether fitter jo is a maintenance fitter (a mechanical trade - not electrical) or an electrical fitter (electrical trade).
in the maintenance industry in the uk you are usually either an electrician or a fitter. they are completely different trades and this is where some confusion comes in to play!
when i read through their post it read like they were a mechanical maintenance fitter that had done a HNC in electrical engineering at some point.
im sure you have to prove a period of formal training as an electrician for either artc electrical fitter or electrical mechanic.

lee.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Leeob77 is correct, mechanical fitter and trade that has done a HNC electrical in the past. I understand that I can not get the full electrical licence because I have mechanical trade and ARTC.
In England part of my job is to disconnect and reconnect electrical motors for conveyors and machinery, in OZ I will need a REL to do this.
I would like to get a restricted electrical licence to improve my job prospects and wanted to know the quickest way to get one? In Qld I have to get a job and before I can even apply for a licence and wondered if there was a quicker way in another state and then transfer the restricted electrical licence to Qld?
I don’t think I could do a electrical ARTC now that I have a mechanical one and would not have the employer evidence to back it up.

FitterJo
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All,

A restricted licence is for trades that are not elctrical in their training. An electrical fitter is not a restricted license, it is a licence with restrictions, being classed as a fitter is no worse or better than a mechanic, in England both classes would gain an approved electrician status. However the threads on this forum are correct that it is difficult to find someone to employ you if you only have a fitters licence.

By the way there are plenty of jobs that pay well for mech fitters, without having the restricted electrical licence.

Regards

Kevin
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fitterjo
Leeob77 is correct, mechanical fitter and trade that has done a HNC electrical in the past. I understand that I can not get the full electrical licence because I have mechanical trade and ARTC.
In England part of my job is to disconnect and reconnect electrical motors for conveyors and machinery, in OZ I will need a REL to do this.
I would like to get a restricted electrical licence to improve my job prospects and wanted to know the quickest way to get one? In Qld I have to get a job and before I can even apply for a licence and wondered if there was a quicker way in another state and then transfer the restricted electrical licence to Qld?
I don’t think I could do a electrical ARTC now that I have a mechanical one and would not have the employer evidence to back it up.

FitterJo
My apologies, I thought you had an Electrical Mechanic ARTC and not a Mechanical Fitter one - it had been a long day at work yesteday!

SA do a restricted licence, but only with an ARTC as an Electrical Fitter or Electrical Mechanic as fas as I am aware.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

got me a bit stumped this one!
have found some info on the WA licensing web site so i would suggest looking on the site for the state you wish to be licensed in. there are several different restricted licenses available.
http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySaf...ctricians_.pdf

they include disconnect/reconnect licenses which i think is what you are after.

to be honest im not sure its something you will need. they seem a bit funny over who can touch what (electrical fitter etc).

good luck anyway.

lee.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:43 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fitterjo
Hi everyone I’m new on here and posted a similar thread elsewhere.

Just wondered if anyone new the quickest way to get a restricted electrical licence?

I am heading for Brisbane/Gold coast area and have done research about the REL in Queensland at the TAFE collage and basically you need a job and be sponsored by your employer before you can enrol. I would like to get the licence ASAP. I am just trying to maximise my chances of getting a decent job when I get to Oz.
I don’t mind going to collage or another state to get a REL.
I am a maintenance fitter with a permanent visa.
I have a ARTC mechanical fitter
I have a electrical HNC
I have placed a post on this site but because the rules are different for each state and it’s very confusing.

Thank you in advance for your help.
have a read on the qet site regarding ret
http://www.qet.edu.au/
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the help

Fitterjo