Queensland Licensing

Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland Licensing

Originally Posted by stu:0
Im in QLD and did my licence via correspondence. The peer route is still the best way to go and my mate i work with is just about to start it.
I found the correspondence way pretty painless and the log book that goes with it is nothing to worry about as its very basic. All you do is write the date and a couple of words on what you did that day, and i mean a couple of words such as installed conduit and tray work or fit off house.
This way takes a little longer but it is painless!
But people can only go this way if they have an ARTC
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

stixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nice

Hello All

Wendy's correct don't think you can go through PEER route if you are awarded an OTSR through Vetassess but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stixblue
Hello All

Wendy's correct don't think you can go through PEER route if you are awarded an OTSR through Vetassess but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave

Like I said, you need an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate. However I don't think there are any reasons that someone with an OTSR can't apply for one of those...
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy;
thats what i have heard on here if you have the ARTC you can do the PEER course however i have been told from people on here if they have done the new VATESSESS then its all different thats where the log book comes in but as one of our friends on here said the book is very basic, thank goodness for people.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
Like I said, you need an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate. However I don't think there are any reasons that someone with an OTSR can't apply for one of those...
Ok, I've seen this posted a few times and still people don't seem to be getting it!!!

There is nothing stopping people who have done vetassess from then later applying to TRA for an ARTC and then doing the peer course!!!.

Vetassess does not preclude you from applying for an ARTC!!!!.

PHEW.....Sorry if that was a bit rude, i just had to get that off my chest!!!.

I've seen a few posts where Wendy has hinted at this....but i thought i'd just spell it out!

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Daviec33,
you did come across strong mate dont forget most of us on here are just trying to make the journey a little easier for folk.
Have you spoken to PEER at all, I have on several occasions they say from Jan 2009 things shall change people doing ARTC can still do the old system people doing Vatessess "May" have to do the new system thats where they was at in december 2008, so PEER are not 100% sure how its going to affect students who do the vatessess, i shall phone kate at PEER this week & try to get more info from her direct so we can then all assist each other

You can only have the one certificate mate its either ARTC or vatessess again i shall try to confirm this with PEER for people.

As i say we are all trying to help thats all, wendy is a great source of information.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by daviec33
Ok, I've seen this posted a few times and still people don't seem to be getting it!!!

There is nothing stopping people who have done vetassess from then later applying to TRA for an ARTC and then doing the peer course!!!.

Vetassess does not preclude you from applying for an ARTC!!!!.

PHEW.....Sorry if that was a bit rude, i just had to get that off my chest!!!.

I've seen a few posts where Wendy has hinted at this....but i thought i'd just spell it out!

Hope this helps!
Phew! Finally

Thanks
Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus

You can only have the one certificate mate its either ARTC or vatessess again i shall try to confirm this with PEER for people.

I don't think that's right Arthur or at least it doesn't say that anywhere that I've seen.

So I stand by what I say, people who have the Vetassess offshore training record could apply for an ARTC if they wish - of course the fact remains as to why they should but if it gets people out there working 6 months earlier then it's worth the $300 it costs for an ARTC.

It's really up to people to weigh up the pro's and cons of each method and go with what they think is the best solution for themselves.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy;

Has this opened a can of worms love or what, now then ive been in touch with Kate from PEER today, i asked for as much info as possible for people doing either route for the License, this is her answer.
(Ready)

Hi Arthur

Always happy to help. Yes there is confusing stuff going on out there,
but it doesn't have to be. Think of it this way. There are 2 trains; 1
is the ARTC train, the other is the VETASSESS train. You CANNOT be on
both trains at the same time, nor can you switch trains mid-journey.

ARTC is faster as it allows a person to get to Australia, get their TRA
certificate and their PEER Wiring Rules course certificate and heres
your licence, able to be transferred to any state. The benefits: its
faster and its less complicated. The pitfalls: because the trades
recognition process is not linked to the immigration department, a
person faces the risk of getting here then being told they do not
qualify to have their trade recognised. (this is not that common and
gap training through a contract can be done)

VETASSESS is longer and a more expensive process, however the assessment
of trade skills is done before they even leave home. When they arrive
in Australia they need to find work in the electrical field. Once they
have work they will qualify for an 'in training' license in the state
where they will be living/working, valid for 12 months. They must then
carry a log book (something equivalent to the profiling an apprentice
would do) for 12 months. How this affects wages (not being a full
license) I guess is up to the employer. During the 12 months they will
need to be assessed by a training organisation to the full Cert III in
Electrotechnology. If there are any gaps (all students will have some)
this training must be completed within the 12 months. The benefits:
There is less risk in getting a basic license. The pitfalls: They will
not qualify for a full license (enabling them to work solo) for at least
a year, it can be considerably more expensive. The ride is not over
for 12 months.

A student must decide which train to catch before he gets on. You
cannot undertake the VETASSessment in the UK then get here any apply to
TRA. It will not accepted.

If a student is intending to live in another state and undertake the
VETASSESS process, PEER cannot help them. As both licensing and
training are state based institutions, they are better to do the
training in the same state as they have their license. Otherwise they
will have to be skipping between states.

I am liasing with a colleage at the moment to create some more
information for our website which prospective immigrants can download
and hopefully make a more informed decision.

I hope this helps

Kate

so what do you think of this info wendy, its still up in the air somewhat.

Arthur
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy;

TRA.

But that's the thing Arthur - they CAN'T decide which way to go as the only way to apply for a visa is to do the Vetassess assessment - the TRA don't do it for migration purposes anymore. So I'm afraid that Kate doesn't seem to know what she is talking about in that respect.

I have e-mailed both the TRA and the OCBA for some info this afternoon and will post their answers when I get them

EDIT to add: And anyway how will anyone know you have applied through Vetassess? Not everyone has to

Last edited by Wendy; Jan 9th 2009 at 6:12 am.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All,

The debate goes on, Wendy i believe you have to put your type of entry into the county on the ARTC form, these are linked to immigration and should be crystal clear to anyone processing the application, however nobody as definitely stated with links to a site the true way forward, who's to say Kate is right, even though it makes sense.

Just my 2 cents worth

Regards

Kevin
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

stixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nice

Wendy;

Has this opened a can of worms love or what, now then ive been in touch with Kate from PEER today, i asked for as much info as possible for people doing either route for the License, this is her answer.
(Ready)

Hi Arthur

Always happy to help. Yes there is confusing stuff going on out there,
but it doesn't have to be. Think of it this way. There are 2 trains; 1
is the ARTC train, the other is the VETASSESS train. You CANNOT be on
both trains at the same time, nor can you switch trains mid-journey.

ARTC is faster as it allows a person to get to Australia, get their TRA
certificate and their PEER Wiring Rules course certificate and heres
your licence, able to be transferred to any state. The benefits: its
faster and its less complicated. The pitfalls: because the trades
recognition process is not linked to the immigration department, a
person faces the risk of getting here then being told they do not
qualify to have their trade recognised. (this is not that common and
gap training through a contract can be done)

VETASSESS is longer and a more expensive process, however the assessment
of trade skills is done before they even leave home. When they arrive
in Australia they need to find work in the electrical field. Once they
have work they will qualify for an 'in training' license in the state
where they will be living/working, valid for 12 months. They must then
carry a log book (something equivalent to the profiling an apprentice
would do) for 12 months. How this affects wages (not being a full
license) I guess is up to the employer. During the 12 months they will
need to be assessed by a training organisation to the full Cert III in
Electrotechnology. If there are any gaps (all students will have some)
this training must be completed within the 12 months. The benefits:
There is less risk in getting a basic license. The pitfalls: They will
not qualify for a full license (enabling them to work solo) for at least
a year, it can be considerably more expensive. The ride is not over
for 12 months.

TRA. It will not accepted.

If a student is intending to live in another state and undertake the
VETASSESS process, PEER cannot help them. As both licensing and
training are state based institutions, they are better to do the
training in the same state as they have their license. Otherwise they
will have to be skipping between states.

I am liasing with a colleage at the moment to create some more
information for our website which prospective immigrants can download
and hopefully make a more informed decision.

I hope this helps

Kate

so what do you think of this info wendy, its still up in the air somewhat.

Arthur
Thankyou Arthur

Please keep me informed as Ive been quoted a lot of money to get my license when in Australia.

Cheers Dave
Old Jan 10th 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

WarrenG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi People,

I am glad I picked up on this thread because I am doing my Vetassess paperwork (or putting it together) part at the moment and have been trying to find out what will happen when getting to Queensland.

Here are some replies I have had upto now - Sorry for long post but relevant!

I sent an email to the Department of Employment and Industrial Relations in QLD to find out further information on what was required to be able to work as an electrican and obtain a license. This is the responce that was emailed back to me:

DEPARTMENT OF EMPLOYMENT AND INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
ABN 52 293 849 579
Workplace Health & Safety Queensland Infoline
Freecall: 1300 369 915 Phone: 07-32474711
Our Reference:xxxxx
Date: 06/01/2009
To: Mr xxxxx

Dear Mr xxxxx,
Thank you for your email regarding applying for an Electrical License in Queensland.
The steps to obtain an electrical licence for overseas trained electricians are as follows:

You will need to have an Australian Trades Recognition Certificate issued to you from Trades Recognition Australia. You will need to contact this organization to organise this qualification. The website for Trades Recognition Australia is workplace.gov.au - Trades Recognition Australia. You will need to contact the Melbourne Office about a Domestic Skills Assessment and not the pre-migration assessment.

Once you have been issued this Certificate you can apply for the Electrical Licence by completing the application form (form 11). This application form is available at: http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/pdf/eso/o...nce_form11.pdf The Guidelines attached to this form provided a detailed explanation of the application process and what information is required to be supplied by you.

If your application is successful you will be issue a permit to attend a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) to complete any necessary training required. At the completion of your training the RTO will forward a Completion Statement to the Electrical Safety Office. Once this training is complete you can apply for the Electrical Work Licence by completing the application form (form 31). http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/pdf/eso/p...nce_form31.pdf
If a complete application is received within 6 months of the permit being issued you will not be required to pay the additional application fee.

The Pre-Migration Skills Assessment is carried out whilst you are overseas. You are required to be resident in Australia before you can be issued with an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate. You must be present in Australia to attend the training at the RTO, who may require some on the job experience to be obtained as part of the course.

So I then contacted the ATRC in the first step who then sent the following replies (in order)

Dear Mr xxxxx,

Thank you for your email regarding an Australian Recognition Trades Certificate (ARTC).

As advised by Queensland licensing to be eligible for an ARTC you must be an Australian resident or have work rights that allow you work in Australia. Given you have undertaken the general migration process administered and assessed by VETASSESS for Council of Australian Government (COAG) identified countries, it may be in your interest to contact VETASSESS regarding what you need to do next to meet pre-requisites to licencing before you arrive in Australia.

Regards

Adrian Bellocci
Senior Skills Assessor (Domestic Operations)
Trades Recognition Australia | Workplace Programmes Branch
Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations
Phone (03) 99542721| Fax (03) 99542588

and then came this one.....

Thank you for your enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

TRA are no longer the assessing authority for residents of the United Kingdom in certain trades. The trade of an Electrician is amongst those trade which TRA no longer assess. If you do not have an Australian visa which allows you to work in Australia, you are not eligible for assessment with TRA and will need to contact VETASSESS. Their website is www.VetAssess.com.au. If you complete all of the VetAssess competencies, I am under the impression that VetAssess are able to issue you with a qualification which will satisfy the licensing requirements. Please contact VetAssess for more information.

If you are the holder of an Australian visa which allows you to work, you are eligible to make an application. I have attached an ARTC application form if this is the case.
Replies to this email must be forwarded to [email protected] if you require the matter to be actioned.

Thank you
TRADES RECOGNITION AUSTRALIA
TRA Enquiry Line 1300 360 992
www.workplace.gov.au/TRA
GPO Box 9880 Melbourne VIC 3001

So from here I have been looking find an email address for Vetassess to try and get some further information from them but I can't seem to find one.

That is as far as I have got, so I hope this will help others and will keep posted to the site!

Warren.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

WarrenG;

ever since they brought in this new Training Vatassess its a frigging nightmare for people, im sure folk dont know which way to turn now, i dont think it will get any easier as things progress for this training, the right hand does not know what the left is doing & its effects people like yourself, if there is ow't we can do on here to help just ask mate
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

WarrenG is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Arthur

It is becoming a very unclear and very time consuming project to say the least.

O.K. I think I understand what has to be done this side via Vetassess but big confusions on the other side of the pond?

You would think that if Australia is really that keen to get the skills over there they would have a clear step by step path of the route that has to be taken.

All this, 'you may have to work supervised, carry a log book, and earn far less than a qualified spark in Australia' is than appealing to say the least.

Especially if fully qualified sparks like myself have their own business here in the UK.

Last edited by WarrenG; Jan 10th 2009 at 9:32 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Warren, i know exactly what your saying mate, its shit its as simple as that.

also some of the aussie sparks are just downright crap,100% of them cannot form a set say to 45% x 2 ways in steel trunking (Duct here) they will look at you as though your from the funny farm.

As for the people running the migration process they are all cabbages Pen pushers who just tick boxes, over your here you shall get a Restricted license meaning your NOT allowed to work on any 1 phase or 3 phase gear at all or you must be supervised all the time.
Regardless to your qualifications they are useless here all you get here is 1st the restricted license then after completing a course you do the A class license then your away, Oh unless you intend to work for yourself then thats another situation. "Why" you may ask, OK mate its all money.??

Once you have the A class license & say you intend to work for yourself, then you must do the electrical contractors course 12 weeks in the evenings more money.

If you advertise for work you must have a business name (Money) then 10 million insurance (money), unless you have the contractors license you not supposed to quote for jobs (Bollocks i say) all this is if you intend to setup your own business.

i work for myself at weekends, i dont have a business name i have the contractors license, Oh (again) the electrical inspectors office here say if you dont have the contractors license your not allowed to give out COES
(Cert Of Electrical Safety) after jobs, ive been in touch with them & told them thats incorrect as long as you have the A class license you can obtain the COES sheets & on completion of a job for the customer you can then give them out (Money) for the COES.

so mate

money for the pre A class course
money for the A class exams (every year)
money for the A class license (every 3 years)
money for the Insurance (every year)
your not allowed to do the contractors course without insurance 1st.??

money for the contractors course
money for the A class books
money for the contractors class books

i hope im not trying to be a clever sod warren but its all money before you get of the frigging ground.

if i can help more mate just ask.

Last edited by The_Pom_From_Aus; Jan 10th 2009 at 9:55 pm. Reason: typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.