The process of migration.

Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

iJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile The process of migration.

Hello!

My apologies (noob) as this probably has been done a thousand times!

Just a couple of quick questions. (I've done some searching)

I am a time served indentured electrician (usual stuff - domestic, commercial, industrial, maintance etc...) and I'm looking to emigrate to Cairns area. I'd just like to get a few things straight i.e the correct process in the right order?!

1)Do I apply for a visa first or/and
2)Goto/apply with Vettasses or/and
3)Contact ARTC to get my quals transfered to Aus equivelents or/and
4)Get a medical or/and
5)Police checks and ?

I realise I need an Australian address for paper work to be sent too, I have this one covered (Aunt and Uncle )

As far as I can see, (limited noob research) once I have fulfilled all of the above quotas etc in the correct order I will be able to go?! On arrival, get accomodation and then apply for licences; Class E I belive is an "easier" one to obtain?!?

One final thing (so far...) am I right in thinking it is harder to obtain/qualify for a skilled electrician if you are or have been self employed? I am currently employed but I am strongly leaning towards going self employed again!!

Sorry to be a pain but I havent found anything clear on the whole subject!

Thanks in advance for any help!

iJim
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The process of migration.

Originally Posted by iJim
Hello!

My apologies (noob) as this probably has been done a thousand times!

Just a couple of quick questions. (I've done some searching)

I am a time served indentured electrician (usual stuff - domestic, commercial, industrial, maintance etc...) and I'm looking to emigrate to Cairns area. I'd just like to get a few things straight i.e the correct process in the right order?!

1)Do I apply for a visa first or/and
2)Goto/apply with Vettasses or/and
3)Contact ARTC to get my quals transfered to Aus equivelents or/and
4)Get a medical or/and
5)Police checks and ?

I realise I need an Australian address for paper work to be sent too, I have this one covered (Aunt and Uncle )

As far as I can see, (limited noob research) once I have fulfilled all of the above quotas etc in the correct order I will be able to go?! On arrival, get accomodation and then apply for licences; Class E I belive is an "easier" one to obtain?!?

One final thing (so far...) am I right in thinking it is harder to obtain/qualify for a skilled electrician if you are or have been self employed? I am currently employed but I am strongly leaning towards going self employed again!!

Sorry to be a pain but I havent found anything clear on the whole subject!

Thanks in advance for any help!

iJim

The order you need to do it in is:

1 - apply to vetassess for your skills assessment
2 - when you have your skills assessment, apply for your visa
3 - you will need medicals and police checks
4 - get your visa
5 - worry about licencing (which has just changed, so will let you know about that later when we know )
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Smart!
That was quick!!

Ok then, at least I can start somewhere now!!

I havnt done anything yet and its all quite stressfull

Thanks for the reply, time to get the ball rolling then....

Am I right in thinking its a fairly looong process? 8-12 months +/-
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iJim
Smart!
That was quick!!

Ok then, at least I can start somewhere now!!

I havnt done anything yet and its all quite stressfull

Thanks for the reply, time to get the ball rolling then....

Am I right in thinking its a fairly looong process? 8-12 months +/-

It took us 18 months from sending off for the skills assessment to getting our visa. But I it's a lot quicker now, so yes you'll probably have it in about that time.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Hello again,

Ive just been reading some other posts in the forum about getting assessed.
It appears that I could perhaps apply through the TRA as an electrician special class. This would "bypass" or avoid assesment, and speed things up rather than waiting for Vetassess?!

Any thoughts comments on this greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Jim
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

Jim,

It makes no difference weather you are employed or self employed, i got my TRA last year and i have been a spark for 20 years and a subbie for the last 10 working either direct to companies or through agencies.
The only thing is i had to get detailed reference letters from everyone i had worked for this took a long time waiting for companies to respond. I dont know weather you will need this with the new system but if you do start writing now!
Companies that no longer exist i got a statuary declaration signed as to why there was no reference from them.
There are people on here with far more info than i have to offer but when i started last year i found all info helpful.
Ive only just submitted my visa application so ive still got a way to go, im now scratching my head as to which licence route to take!

Chris.