British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   The process of migration. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/process-migration-511733/)

iJim Feb 4th 2008 7:28 pm

The process of migration.

Hello!

My apologies (noob) as this probably has been done a thousand times! :p

Just a couple of quick questions. (I've done some searching) :)

I am a time served indentured electrician (usual stuff - domestic, commercial, industrial, maintance etc...) and I'm looking to emigrate to Cairns area. I'd just like to get a few things straight i.e the correct process in the right order?!

1)Do I apply for a visa first or/and
2)Goto/apply with Vettasses or/and
3)Contact ARTC to get my quals transfered to Aus equivelents or/and
4)Get a medical or/and
5)Police checks and ?

I realise I need an Australian address for paper work to be sent too, I have this one covered (Aunt and Uncle :thumbsup:)

As far as I can see, (limited noob research) once I have fulfilled all of the above quotas etc in the correct order I will be able to go?! On arrival, get accomodation and then apply for licences; Class E I belive is an "easier" one to obtain?!?

One final thing (so far...) am I right in thinking it is harder to obtain/qualify for a skilled electrician if you are or have been self employed? I am currently employed but I am strongly leaning towards going self employed again!!

Sorry to be a pain but I havent found anything clear on the whole subject! :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help! :D

iJim

Wendy Feb 4th 2008 7:33 pm

Re: The process of migration.

Originally Posted by iJim (Post 5884163)
Hello!

My apologies (noob) as this probably has been done a thousand times! :p

Just a couple of quick questions. (I've done some searching) :)

I am a time served indentured electrician (usual stuff - domestic, commercial, industrial, maintance etc...) and I'm looking to emigrate to Cairns area. I'd just like to get a few things straight i.e the correct process in the right order?!

1)Do I apply for a visa first or/and
2)Goto/apply with Vettasses or/and
3)Contact ARTC to get my quals transfered to Aus equivelents or/and
4)Get a medical or/and
5)Police checks and ?

I realise I need an Australian address for paper work to be sent too, I have this one covered (Aunt and Uncle :thumbsup:)

As far as I can see, (limited noob research) once I have fulfilled all of the above quotas etc in the correct order I will be able to go?! On arrival, get accomodation and then apply for licences; Class E I belive is an "easier" one to obtain?!?

One final thing (so far...) am I right in thinking it is harder to obtain/qualify for a skilled electrician if you are or have been self employed? I am currently employed but I am strongly leaning towards going self employed again!!

Sorry to be a pain but I havent found anything clear on the whole subject! :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help! :D

iJim

The order you need to do it in is:

1 - apply to vetassess for your skills assessment
2 - when you have your skills assessment, apply for your visa
3 - you will need medicals and police checks
4 - get your visa :D
5 - worry about licencing (which has just changed, so will let you know about that later when we know :lol:)

iJim Feb 4th 2008 7:39 pm

Smart!
That was quick!!

Ok then, at least I can start somewhere now!!

I havnt done anything yet and its all quite stressfull :blink: :)

Thanks for the reply, time to get the ball rolling then....

Am I right in thinking its a fairly looong process? 8-12 months +/-

Wendy Feb 4th 2008 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by iJim (Post 5884222)
Smart!
That was quick!!

Ok then, at least I can start somewhere now!!

I havnt done anything yet and its all quite stressfull :blink: :)

Thanks for the reply, time to get the ball rolling then....

Am I right in thinking its a fairly looong process? 8-12 months +/-

It took us 18 months from sending off for the skills assessment to getting our visa. But I it's a lot quicker now, so yes you'll probably have it in about that time.

iJim Feb 7th 2008 12:55 pm

Hello again,

Ive just been reading some other posts in the forum about getting assessed.
It appears that I could perhaps apply through the TRA as an electrician special class. This would "bypass" or avoid assesment, and speed things up rather than waiting for Vetassess?! :confused:

Any thoughts comments on this greatly appreciated! :D

Cheers, Jim

Chris Ball Feb 7th 2008 8:22 pm

Jim,

It makes no difference weather you are employed or self employed, i got my TRA last year and i have been a spark for 20 years and a subbie for the last 10 working either direct to companies or through agencies.
The only thing is i had to get detailed reference letters from everyone i had worked for this took a long time waiting for companies to respond. I dont know weather you will need this with the new system but if you do start writing now!
Companies that no longer exist i got a statuary declaration signed as to why there was no reference from them.
There are people on here with far more info than i have to offer but when i started last year i found all info helpful.
Ive only just submitted my visa application so ive still got a way to go, im now scratching my head as to which licence route to take!

Chris.