practical exam theory

Old Oct 14th 2013, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice
Default Re: practical exam theory

That's what they call extraneous conductive parts in AS/NZS 2007:3000 clause 1.4.54

A conductive part that does not form part of an electrical installation
but that may be at the electrical potential of a local earth.

NOTE: Examples of extraneous conductive parts include the following—
(a) metal waste, water or gas pipe from outside.
(b) cooling or heating system parts.
(c) metal or reinforced concrete building components.
(d) steel-framed structure.
(e) floors and walls of reinforced concrete without further surface treatment.
(f) tiled surfaces, conductive wall coverings.
(g) conductive fittings in washrooms, bathrooms, lavatories, toilets, etc.
(h) metallized papers.

7.4.7.4 Bonding conductor continuity
The resistance of an equipotential bonding conductor for the earth contacts
of socket-outlets, or exposed conductive parts connected to the same
separated circuit, shall not exceed 0.5Ω.

Last edited by Deyan; Oct 14th 2013 at 11:42 am.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

hynesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gazza,

Yeah I will try and remember as much of the theory as possible and What I do in the practical!

The exam is in Brent cross, North London at a college.

Also with the safe isolation/reconnection process they do send if through with your paperwork as it's very long winded!

Cheers!
Old Oct 14th 2013, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Biddy17 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you haven't had the paperwork with the disconnect reconnect on it its here:
http://www.vetassess.com.au/download...151020130300AM

does anybody know how detailed the dol starter drawing has to be, someone (dune?) posted what he is working to a couple of pages back but doesn't really look detailed enough to me, doesn't show the switching mech of the contactor etc just the numbers of the connections. does this matter? also is it a separate feed for the control circuit or can we steal it from a phase for the motor? or is it one of those that doesn't matter as long as it works? any help appreciated
Old Oct 19th 2013, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Crg316 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hynesy
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the posts - given me a good heads up for my exam in London on the 19th of Oct!

Im only 23 and only ever really worked in houses therefore sh*tting it about this exam especially the DOL and to be honest the theory!

As far as I understand with the DOL you have to safe isolate, wire to a diagram, be able to draw a basic DOL with start/stop and overload then re-energise?
Is this correct or am I missing alot???

Also what are the main subjects in the theory questions as I don't want to waste time revising unnecessary equations etc!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks Mark
Hi mate . I have my assesment in London at the Tottenham centre . Could you shed some light in how urs went as I think you said yours is today 19. What to concentrate on and is the theory more health a safety or principles. Any info would be great. Mine is in the. 28 oct. Cheers mate
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I had my vetassess yesterday and I think it all went ok!
The whole day is fairly laid back and the assessor was a nice guy from Melbourne.

The first part was theory which is hour and half which there are multiple choice questions mainly based on resistors/inductance/transformers/star and a few very basic ones that a sparky should know. The equations are all in the back on the booklet! Also the examiner marked them and if you was short on the 75% pass he would give you it back to have one more chance! (Not sure if this is always the case tho!)

The next is practical - you are in a booth were you have a to mount a fuseboard,batten lamp holder on through box,a single socket and 2 light switches. There is specific measurements that you have to install everything which they are hot on, and make sure everything is bang on level! Also there is a dog leg in PVC conduit between the 2 light switches. Again the examiner is very laid back and wasn't rushing us to finish within the 3 hours. Once this is done you have to do a continuity test and IR test then power up to check everything is working.

While doing the practical you are taken away to do the safe isolation and reconnection of a board with fuseboard and tubular heater, the assessor asked us to carry out safe isolation then to call him over and tell him what you did so he doesn't watch you (be aware they can have faults on) and the same with reconnection.

The only other thing was the DOL which is basic wiring (dune put a picture of the dol up in a earlier post) as long as you know the sequence L-11,12-23,23-13,14-24,24-95,96-A1,N-A2
You also need to draw the wiring diagram and to draw star diagram.
The assessor then puts a fault onto the circuit by changing a few wires, I just took them all out and started again!!

Hope this helps!!
If you want anymore info let me know!

Cheers and good luck!
Old Oct 20th 2013, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi Biddy17

The drawing that Dune put up is spot on mate.

Good luck!
Old Oct 20th 2013, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hynesy
Hi,

I had my vetassess yesterday and I think it all went ok!
The whole day is fairly laid back and the assessor was a nice guy from Melbourne.

The first part was theory which is hour and half which there are multiple choice questions mainly based on resistors/inductance/transformers/star and a few very basic ones that a sparky should know. The equations are all in the back on the booklet! Also the examiner marked them and if you was short on the 75% pass he would give you it back to have one more chance! (Not sure if this is always the case tho!)

The next is practical - you are in a booth were you have a to mount a fuseboard,batten lamp holder on through box,a single socket and 2 light switches. There is specific measurements that you have to install everything which they are hot on, and make sure everything is bang on level! Also there is a dog leg in PVC conduit between the 2 light switches. Again the examiner is very laid back and wasn't rushing us to finish within the 3 hours. Once this is done you have to do a continuity test and IR test then power up to check everything is working.

While doing the practical you are taken away to do the safe isolation and reconnection of a board with fuseboard and tubular heater, the assessor asked us to carry out safe isolation then to call him over and tell him what you did so he doesn't watch you (be aware they can have faults on) and the same with reconnection.

The only other thing was the DOL which is basic wiring (dune put a picture of the dol up in a earlier post) as long as you know the sequence L-11,12-23,23-13,14-24,24-95,96-A1,N-A2
You also need to draw the wiring diagram and to draw star diagram.
The assessor then puts a fault onto the circuit by changing a few wires, I just took them all out and started again!!

Hope this helps!!
If you want anymore info let me know!

Cheers and good luck!
Hi mate . Cheers for that. It's a big help. Just one thing, do they provide test equipment ie multifunction tester and proving unit. Did they send you some info eg safe isolation before your day as I believe it's abit different to uk. Is the theory mostly calculations ? Cheers for the reply mate.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

nexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Crg316
Hi mate . Cheers for that. It's a big help. Just one thing, do they provide test equipment ie multifunction tester and proving unit. Did they send you some info eg safe isolation before your day as I believe it's abit different to uk. Is the theory mostly calculations ? Cheers for the reply mate.
Hi there, I have just read through the Vetassess Electrical Skill Assessment paperwork, and on page 3 there is a list of tools required. They can supply tools, but you may have to share with others. You should have Screwdrivers, pliers, sidecutters, wire strippers or knife, tape measure or ruler, small spirit level, hacksaw or pvc tube cutter, claw hammer. Optional tools are long nose pliers, battery operated drill, drill set, screwdriver bits, 20mm conduit bending spring. You will need a Test meter suitable for all the standard tests (IR, RCD, continuity, Ze, Zs, R1R2) and a Tag-out/Lockout kit.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

nexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of lightnexsuperne is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Crg316
Hi mate . I have my assesment in London at the Tottenham centre . Could you shed some light in how urs went as I think you said yours is today 19. What to concentrate on and is the theory more health a safety or principles. Any info would be great. Mine is in the. 28 oct. Cheers mate
Hi, I have to do this. Whereabouts in Tottenham is it please?

Good luck for tomorrow!!
Old Oct 27th 2013, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nexsuperne
Hi, I have to do this. Whereabouts in Tottenham is it please?

Good luck for tomorrow!!
Hi mate . Mine is with future skills they told me they provide everything. It's the conel college , Tottenham centre. Cheers mate
Old Nov 1st 2013, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Chrisharry23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

How in depth is the testing of the 2 way lighting circuit and radial socket.
Does it include earth loop impedance
Old Nov 1st 2013, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chrisharry23
Hello

How in depth is the testing of the 2 way lighting circuit and radial socket.
Does it include earth loop impedance
Hello mate. With mine with future skills I just did R1+R2, and IR. No ring just a radial . They give u the ze so u can work out Zs.
No live tests basically. Make sure u no how to install a emergancy stop button in a dol starter. It's not accessories mounted on a board with plug in leads , it's a new dol stater like the ones u buy at the wholesaler. I would suggest get one of them and a em stop wire it in and make sure in switches the coils. That was how it works at the Tottenham centre any way. I passed aswell. Good luck!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

resin123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,

iv got my practical exam in 2 weeks in london, iv read through the other posts some very good stuff on there, thanks, the dol other posts say your expected to draw wiring diagram and star diagram can any1 explain further to me

cheers
Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Where in London is ur practical mate?
Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

resin123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey,

its at willesden centre, college of north west london 23rd of november just tryin to revise the dol stuff not really experienced in all that, u done ur exam already mate?
cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.