PEER trip

Old Sep 14th 2012, 3:15 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PEER trip

Originally Posted by dunkl
Well, thanks for replying, I do have some answers if you're in the mood of opening your old workbook

Anyway, my point exactly, better any license than no license and I don't really care what ESV Vic will feel about it. I'm not even after big work and big money, I would be happy just to change light bulbs or meters, or whatever... Interesting thing was, that I applied one sunday for taxi driver job and company director called me in 10 minutes to ask me if I can start free training next day! But condition was to work at least 3 months 6 days/wk, 10-12 hrs/day after that; I got forklift license (in a day), so I've chosen to stay on a casual factory job - better pay so I could do less hours and be free to look for something else. My mistake now I can see, because they were pushing me around and now I've just chosen to stay at home for 3 weeks until I finish this exams. I'm looking in a bus driver ads every now and then, they are giving free training as well, but small hour pay and pushing for overtime too.

PEER has changed this course, but luckily, I've already booked the exam, so I'm doing 3 days theory and 1 day practical exam. I'm not sure, but now they are talking about 7 days of something... I got the books in June I think, then week after that I called and booked an exam for September, week after that they sent me a SMS "please call us we changed the course significantly" (my eyes started to twitch ), but then they said "OK, if you've already booked your exam, you're going old way".

When I come back from there I will probably have better info about everything,so I'll post it.

Concerning workbook, it was a mess, but I think I'm good now. I would like to have "Wiring Domestic Switchboard" drawing example if you can scan it and do I need to DRAW this in color on exam or do it practically (or both)?
In ETSA was hard to find answers, but I've did it using e-book copy.
I have nice amount of unanswered in 3017 section, so if you're in a mood to find your old workbook, I'll ask you for a few answers another time.

And if someone is in the same boat, like meglas, about workbook, ask.
Just don't ask about practical, I don't have a clue what's going on there.

If anyone can recommend good accommodation in Adelaide, but don't ask why I haven't booked that already

I've just remembered one more thing, do I have to bring my own tools and instruments to the exam, or I can use theirs? (I should probably ask them)
I asked them for accomodation list and booked room for the 5 days in a hotel/ tavern, cant remember the name but it was about a 25 min walk or short taxi ride, cheap beer and nice food and room was $150 for the week but like a tired out 70's motel room but cheap!!!!

The drawing is not too bad once you have ahd a chance to practice it and see how they do it on the course, a bit messy at best with lines crossing ove each other all over the place but yes in colour and its just drawn out, it must be 100% correct though, but they show you an example and how best to lay out the lines.

The practical was going through the tests in the inspection and testing book (the aussie equivalent to guidance note 3) on a battered and worn out apprentice training rig. There are some faults put on it but these are changed for every test but it isn't particularly tricky.

let me know what answers you are stuggling with and i'll see if i can help
Old Sep 14th 2012, 6:12 am
Just Joined

dunkl will become famous soon enough

Thanks. I'll drive to Adelaide from Melbourne, with my wife, we want to make this trip interesting (business and pleasure), see the states and most important see how we'll feel about Adelaide, if I can get a job there after all of this. That motel is way cheaper that anything else I've found

My only real trouble is Section 11 of workbook, AS/NZS 3017
I can't find anything in clause, but maybe it should be answered from general knowledge?
For example these are questions:
Worksheet B:
1. Name two risk factors using testing and measuring instruments
2. List three causes of electrical accidents using testing instruments
9. In the event of any danger to person or property arising out of the incorrect selection of equipment in electrical installation who is at fault?
11. List six connections where neutral is bonded to earth
Worksheet D, RCDs:
Where to find exact answers to these 9 questions? Sketch of RCD (1), Miliamp rating for types I, II, III, IV (5) ; What type of RCD for final subcircuit of socket outlets of ICU ward of General Hospital? (6)...

Edit: I've just got answer from PEER, they will provide tools, section 11 has general knowledge questions so I'm not suppose to state a clause, and they didn't answer about accommodation

Last edited by dunkl; Sep 14th 2012 at 6:49 am.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 7:47 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I'll drive to Adelaide from Melbourne, with my wife, we want to make this trip interesting (business and pleasure), see the states and most important see how we'll feel about Adelaide, if I can get a job there after all of this. That motel is way cheaper that anything else I've found

My only real trouble is Section 11 of workbook, AS/NZS 3017
I can't find anything in clause, but maybe it should be answered from general knowledge?
For example these are questions:
Worksheet B:
1. Name two risk factors using testing and measuring instruments
2. List three causes of electrical accidents using testing instruments
9. In the event of any danger to person or property arising out of the incorrect selection of equipment in electrical installation who is at fault?
11. List six connections where neutral is bonded to earth
Worksheet D, RCDs:
Where to find exact answers to these 9 questions? Sketch of RCD (1), Miliamp rating for types I, II, III, IV (5) ; What type of RCD for final subcircuit of socket outlets of ICU ward of General Hospital? (6)...

Edit: I've just got answer from PEER, they will provide tools, section 11 has general knowledge questions so I'm not suppose to state a clause, and they didn't answer about accommodation
Just had a quick look on google maps and found it, Seaton Hotel. have a look at the website theres the usual bs pokie room and a horse racing/ betting bar but the restaurant was very popular and good quality. it is not apparent from the website that they do rooms but just call, ask for the week price - much cheaper than 3-4 days from my experience. Very dated but f@cking cheap
Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Just had a quick look on google maps and found it, Seaton Hotel. have a look at the website theres the usual bs pokie room and a horse racing/ betting bar but the restaurant was very popular and good quality. it is not apparent from the website that they do rooms but just call, ask for the week price - much cheaper than 3-4 days from my experience. Very dated but f@cking cheap
Thanks Can you tell me am I going to be all day on exams (8am-4pm says in a letter) ?
Old Sep 16th 2012, 12:03 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Thanks Can you tell me am I going to be all day on exams (8am-4pm says in a letter) ?
when i did it you had the morning of revising and afternoon of 3 hour exam every day, friday morning practical and friday afternoon at OCBA getting the licence application in, all being well
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Well, all done as you said, more or less License application is in, all I have to do is go back and wait for a mailman. Other than that I still have to look for a job probably I'll write more about exam if someone wants to hear, as soon I get back home... Thank you greatly for all the tips!
Old Sep 28th 2012, 12:06 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Well, all done as you said, more or less License application is in, all I have to do is go back and wait for a mailman. Other than that I still have to look for a job probably I'll write more about exam if someone wants to hear, as soon I get back home... Thank you greatly for all the tips!
congratulations and well done
Old Sep 28th 2012, 12:23 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
congratulations and well done
Ye mate. well done. Its a weight of the mind.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Ye thanks . And a nice surprise today - a license in a mailbox. After only a few days .

So, about exams.
First day, revision 3 hrs in the morning, going trough some questions, then exam A 1 hour, exam B 3 hours. All from 3000, definitions, rules, clauses...

Day 2: exam C 1 hour - from section 7-8 from 3000. Afternoon exam E (3 hrs), from 3008 - selection of cables, could be tricky one if you're not careful...

Day 3: In the morning revision preparing for 4 hrs exam D, which happens afternoon. There is max demand calculation, one phase domestic, 3 phase factory, drawing a switchboard - instead of wiring actual one, you need to draw exactly every wire in proper color, mark everything on drawing - it's less time consuming this way for them, + some more questions from rules.

Day 4: practical if you pass all previous; I've found it easiest of all, and interesting; I don't think any sparky would have problem with that - it's a complete switchboard with some sockets and and lights, there are some faults, you're doing all the testing by 3017 book, note results, note faults when you find it - missing connection, switched polarity, short...

Have Section 11 of workbook filled 100%, it's staying with them...
About how easy it is - well in a group of 10-12 people, three were pass straight away, others got some remedial tests - pass mark is 80% on every test, except swb drawing which needs to be 100% correct. I didn't understand exactly what happens if you fail, if you have 65-79% you get remedial, if you fail below that - there's some repeating reserved for Friday, but I think it needs to be paid extra. I'm not aware if everyone passed, when they started their practical, I was already in the OCBA applying for license - there is only 3 switchboards for practical, so only 3 people are taking that test at the same time.

There are some changes for the future courses, but I'm not sure what is it, because you don't get much chat with them (there's only one guy at the exams in all 4 days) - it's all like "not much time for anything-you should get there prepared". But, most of really important stuff are being revised before tests.

That's it, in short, to be read by future expats when they decide to get in the same boat...