PEER Course?

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PEER Course?

When it means assessment I am hoping practical not written???

End of day electrical calculations are the same over the world?? We did them during our apprenticeship days why make us go through it again!!

As an Electrical Mechanic, you can seek to undertake the Licensed Electrician’s Assessment with EPIC ITB or NMIT to apply for an Electrician’s License. Alternatively, you can apply to ESV for a Supervised Worker’s License after completing the Safe Working Practices (SWP) Assessment. There is also a preparation course to undertake the Licensed Electricians’ Assessment (LEA) with your local TAFE, which would assist in preparation for these assessments.

What Paperwork do I need?

* Completed ESV Application Form
* TRA Certificate
* Safe Working Practices Assessment Results or
* Licensed Electrician’s Assessment Results
* Evidence of Overseas Qualifications and experience in the industry, such as references and evidence of apprenticeship and trade qualifications gained overseas.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elect42
When it means assessment I am hoping practical not written???

End of day electrical calculations are the same over the world?? We did them during our apprenticeship days why make us go through it again!!

As an Electrical Mechanic, you can seek to undertake the Licensed Electrician’s Assessment with EPIC ITB or NMIT to apply for an Electrician’s License. Alternatively, you can apply to ESV for a Supervised Worker’s License after completing the Safe Working Practices (SWP) Assessment. There is also a preparation course to undertake the Licensed Electricians’ Assessment (LEA) with your local TAFE, which would assist in preparation for these assessments.

What Paperwork do I need?

* Completed ESV Application Form
* TRA Certificate
* Safe Working Practices Assessment Results or
* Licensed Electrician’s Assessment Results
* Evidence of Overseas Qualifications and experience in the industry, such as references and evidence of apprenticeship and trade qualifications gained overseas.
Hi,
This is why a lot of sparks are getting an ARTC. Then doing a correspondence course with PEER and then attending a 2/3 day course and exam in Adelaide. Getting a South Australian licence and then transferring this licence to other states (in your case Victoria) under mutual recognition.
Seemingly, this will be a lot speedier and on balance probably cheaper than the way you've described above.
Regards Derren
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

I am not over yet but waiting for visa to come through for victoria I was let down from WA as they filled theyre quota before I could lodge.
I did vetassess, OTSR beening issued. Is it not something like the peer route?? only peer could be faster?, only I get restricted license is this bad to be restricted?? Would I get the sparks rate going?? as I could and would be able to do same as any spark there, been at this game for last 17 years and running own company NICEIC registered.

All these differenet routes can get confusing!

The way I see it is:-
I get a australian recongised cert from TRA "electrician mechanics" by sending all my qualifications etc.. overseas route then get a LEA asssessment in victoria then apply for A license?? As from the flow chart posted above seems simplier I think than having to go till SA for it??

I am looking to try and clarify the simplest route and most cost efficient way!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

I am not over yet but waiting for visa to come through for victoria I was let down from WA as they filled theyre quota before I could lodge.
I did vetassess, OTSR beening issued. Is it not something like the peer route?? only peer could be faster?, only I get restricted license is this bad to be restricted?? Would I get the sparks rate going?? as I could and would be able to do same as any spark there, been at this game for last 17 years and running own company NICEIC registered.

All these differenet routes can get confusing!

The way I see it is:-
I get a australian recongised cert from TRA "electrician mechanics" by sending all my qualifications etc.. overseas route then get a LEA asssessment in victoria then apply for A license?? As from the flow chart posted above seems simplier I think than having to go till SA for it??

I am looking to try and clarify the simplest route and most cost efficient way!!!
hi,
the problem with going through the LEA route is that you'll need 12 months on site training on a restricted licence in order to complete a log book. By going to PEER and doing their wiring regs course there is no requirement to this. Correspondence course with PEER, which can be done from the UK then 2/3 days revision and examination. SA licence then VIC licence.
I know it's very confusing.Took me a while to get my head around it all.
But the general consensus on this forum and others is that the PEER route is the fastest way to obtain an A Grade licence for any state.
Regards Derren
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks mate. Going to look into that way then.

Being restricted is it harder to get a job, and decent wage?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks mate. Going to look into that way then.

Being restricted is it harder to get a job, and decent wage?
Yeah, it's a bit of a catch 22. Restricted licence, less money, oh yeah. Harder to get a job,yes, but not impossible.
Maybe worth your while to trawl through this forum. Lots, maybe too much info , conflicting and otherwise, but the info you need is contained here. Just got to shift through a lot of **** to find the cream. But basically, the ARTC/PEER route seems to be the best option.
Best of luck.
Regards Derren
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

sonic.trip;

if you do the A class license in victoria it shall cost you a lot more money i can assure you, there is a mixture of theory & practical exams more prac than theory, they put you under massive stress in the exams.

PEER is the way to go, logon to the PEER website then contact peter jolly the training manager he is a decent man & i have his permission to display his name on here, you wont regret going via PEER. once you get your head round the sample exam questions & its complete your then ready for the exams.

1st day exam it a practise run do it its important especially the max demand over 3 x phases this is a massive part of the end score. 2nd day 7 hour exam all Theory NO Pact at all.

if you do the study you shall pass its as simple as that, the only people i know who have failed are the ones who dont do the exam examples book or the ones who are loud & do sod all when they are at PEER, so be switched on do the ground work.

when you pass on day 2 you then go to the SA licensing dept 5 mins walk register for your SA full license, then if you like for about $400 or so you can then transfer to ANY state in Australia, this is a full license & all states must agree to recognise this qualification ASK the man at PEER he shall tell you direct.

if i can more please ask

Arthur melbourne
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:36 am
Just Joined

quid81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
The PEER course since January has changed it is now more involved and expensive. It cost something like $1500 inc books.
The course does include practical now but only testing & fault finding. When i did it 3 weeks ago it did take all week now, there were 10 guys in class that week.
Day 1 revision & getting help to complete folder ( nobody bothered to complete ETSA but we did have a good go)
Day 2 Exam if you are struggleing you can ask for pointers from the teacher. He didn't let any one move on to practical until the whole class had achieved the required 80%, in each section.
Day 3 some straglers were still strugleing with exam he kept marking them, and if they didn't pass he would direct them towards the section they should be looking at.
Then finally testing only 3 boards available so with 10 in class it took from thu lunch til friday lunch.
Day 4 complete testing ( he has a bank of switches to put different faults on you identify the faults then he has to clear it then you retest)
we were all in the cbd by mid afternoon applying for our licences.
all the best
tony
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quid81
Hi
The PEER course since January has changed it is now more involved and expensive. It cost something like $1500 inc books.
The course does include practical now but only testing & fault finding. When i did it 3 weeks ago it did take all week now, there were 10 guys in class that week.
Day 1 revision & getting help to complete folder ( nobody bothered to complete ETSA but we did have a good go)
Day 2 Exam if you are struggleing you can ask for pointers from the teacher. He didn't let any one move on to practical until the whole class had achieved the required 80%, in each section.
Day 3 some straglers were still strugleing with exam he kept marking them, and if they didn't pass he would direct them towards the section they should be looking at.
Then finally testing only 3 boards available so with 10 in class it took from thu lunch til friday lunch.
Day 4 complete testing ( he has a bank of switches to put different faults on you identify the faults then he has to clear it then you retest)
we were all in the cbd by mid afternoon applying for our licences.
all the best
tony
Hi Tony,
I noticed in another thread that you intend to obtain a QLD licence under mutual recognition. Could you let us know how you get on with that given the trouble some people seem to have experienced.
Cheers Derren