Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

in oz and lost? electrical licence

in oz and lost? electrical licence

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:57 am
Just Joined

welsh AL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default in oz and lost? electrical licence

Hi all, i have just migrated to Australia/Syd on the 14/03/2011 and am completely lost on what to do next?? for a grade A licence.

I have been approved by vetassess for (offshore technical skills record) did it in Glasgow! and entered the country on a skilled migrant (class ve) subclass 175 (skilled independent). permanent visa.

Now what is the best thing to do? I'm on my own so can travel to any state ( that has a hostel)

have read a few post on here, and most are waiting to get to oz, where I'm here...so don't know if that changes things?

would it be best to stay in Syd and go to college and do the 12 month bridging gap. or can i do a course some where else?
and if i stay and do the nsw fair trading application form, wich pathway is the best one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

don't know wich way to turn Aled..
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:37 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: in oz and lost? electrical licence

Originally Posted by welsh AL
Hi all, i have just migrated to Australia/Syd on the 14/03/2011 and am completely lost on what to do next?? for a grade A licence.

I have been approved by vetassess for (offshore technical skills record) did it in Glasgow! and entered the country on a skilled migrant (class ve) subclass 175 (skilled independent). permanent visa.

Now what is the best thing to do? I'm on my own so can travel to any state ( that has a hostel)

have read a few post on here, and most are waiting to get to oz, where I'm here...so don't know if that changes things?

would it be best to stay in Syd and go to college and do the 12 month bridging gap. or can i do a course some where else?
and if i stay and do the nsw fair trading application form, wich pathway is the best one?

Get in touch with PEER. Do the distance learning.ie do the workbook. When finished you then fly to Adelaide and do the test. Allow your self a month or 2 to do the workbook minimum. BTW you can still work in Sydney without a licence. Loads of work around. But the quickest way is via PEER. Anymore questions then just ask.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks mate, will look into it now....i was just going around in circles before......

much appreciated

ALED.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:17 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate, will look into it now....i was just going around in circles before......

much appreciated

ALED.
BTW have a look on seek.com.au for jobs and also the newspaper. Usually jobs on their for unlicenced sparkies.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

weegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really niceweegogs is just really nice

hiya al

peer in adelaide is the quickest way to get your license, if you fancy a wee trip to adelaide you can sit the course at peer for three weeks you'll need to phone them to find out when the next course is, in the meantime you have to apply to TRA to have your skills assessed, its much like vettassess in that you have to send prove of your apprenticeship,details of work you've done tools you've used etc, hopefully they will grade you as an electrical mechanic, once you've done the peer course and got your TRA you can then apply for a south aus license then you can transfer it to whatever state you are planning to work in, it sounds worse than it is, i hope this helps good luck
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Hi Aled,
Another option if you don't want to go through the rigmarole of applying for an ARTC in order to go to PEER is to do the two week course at CET in Perth to get a WA licence. You can do this course with an ARTC or an OTSR.
Follow this LINK to see step by step info on how to do it.
Regards Derren
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:15 am
Just Joined

thanks to you all....i am thinking of going the cet/Perth way because after so much trouble getting the permanent visa through tra/ vess.....( work a lot for agency's on a self employed bases.....and for some on the cards and being payed through composite company's it all got a bit confusing for them... if they take the vess i will go there and do the course and get it over and done with.....

again thanks derren and thank you all.

aled
Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Hi all,
i have now just got to Perth, nice place! not as busy as Syd.flight was not to bad, $200Au...I have sent in the forms to energy safe and am waiting for a reply...dose anyone have the peer books or download to sell???? if not can you let me know where is best to get them?

moving forwards

thanks aled.