A little bit clueless

Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

NANOOOO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A little bit clueless

Firstly hello to everyone.

Im 24 and will be 25 in august.

Qualified as a electrician nearly 4 years ago and then quit to concentrate on property development/buy to let investments.

Property is running itself, its giving me a decent wage but as of last week a friend mentioned about traverling to Australia.

Ive always wanted to go but with a mate but my friends always had work commitments/babies or money.

So its come to me that even tho i would like to be on the beach everyday i wouldnt mind getting back on the tools to meet new people etc.

We're planning on going in August so it leads me a few months to get the paperwork/documents i need. I will be traverlign round the whoel of australia, perth, sydney, melbourne, cairns etc

Im going on a 1 year working visa.

Im just a bit confused to what i need to get or what to do with all the topics on this forum.

Any help would be great.

Im based in London-UK

Paul
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little bit clueless

Sorry, I am a little confused. Are you planning to work as an electrician whilst you travel round????
Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Sally

Im going on a 1 year working holiday visa.

Id like to work in every part of Australia i go to.

Im not emigrating - im just going to be there for the 12 months.

Im just confused as to what i need to do/get to work as a sparks or can i just get on site.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NANOOOO
Sally

Im going on a 1 year working holiday visa.

Id like to work in every part of Australia i go to.

Im not emigrating - im just going to be there for the 12 months.

Im just confused as to what i need to do/get to work as a sparks or can i just get on site.
Hi there,
As I explained in the other thread you posted on. You can apply for an ARTC from the UK once you have your working holiday visa.
The trouble you may encounter is that each state issues it's own electrical licence. It is possible find work in any state with another state's licence but most employers will expect you to have the respective state licence of the state you are working in. ie if your working in QLD most employers will expect you have a QLD licence.
You can obtain another state licence under the terms of 'mutual recognition'
ie if you have a Western Australian licence then you should be able to apply for another state licence, but at a few hundred dollars each time you do this it could prove to be a costly exercise and also, the processing and waiting times would need to be considered.
Another thing to bear in mind is that an ARTC is not a licence. It is recognition of your skills from overseas. In order to get a full licence most states require 'on the job training' combined with attendance at TAFE (college) and this could take anything up to a year.
The notable exceptions are Western and South Australia where licences can be sought without 'on the job training' and with short courses.
There's loads of info in this forum about that.
Regards Derren
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Im only looking to stay a month or so per place maybe a bit longer - maybe no point doing the sparky-ing thing and maybe just do soemthing random - with less paperwork like working in a bar or soemthing
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Im only looking to stay a month or so per place maybe a bit longer - maybe no point doing the sparky-ing thing and maybe just do soemthing random - with less paperwork like working in a bar or soemthing
sorry mate,
Didn't mean to put you off. Just making sure you're aware of the complications.
For what it's worth, it may still be worthwhile applying for an ARTC and WA or SA licence as it may come in handy if you decide you want to migrate permanently in the future.
Also, if my experience on a WHV is anything to go by then your plans will fly out the window. I managed to find work as a trades assistant but would have found it a whole lot easier if I had pursued a licence. Having said that, I had some great experiences planting tea trees and banana humping and working on farms etc
Anyway best of luck
Regards Derren
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Derren, You aint put me off

Just happy someones taken time to answer a few of my questions.

Dunno would i ever leave London my business and source of income is all here unless i sell up and buy a place by the sea

Also, if my experience on a WHV is anything to go by then your plans will fly out the window. I managed to find work as a trades assistant but would have found it a whole lot easier if I had pursued a licence. Having said that, I had some great experiences planting tea trees and banana humping and working on farms etc (Did you have no paperwork at all to become a trades assistant?)

You still over there now?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Derren, You aint put me off

Just happy someones taken time to answer a few of my questions.

Dunno would i ever leave London my business and source of income is all here unless i sell up and buy a place by the sea

Also, if my experience on a WHV is anything to go by then your plans will fly out the window. I managed to find work as a trades assistant but would have found it a whole lot easier if I had pursued a licence. Having said that, I had some great experiences planting tea trees and banana humping and working on farms etc (Did you have no paperwork at all to become a trades assistant?)

You still over there now?
Hi again,
Naively, I turned up in OZ with my City and Guilds certs expecting to be welcomed with open arms. How wrong was I. They mean nothing to your average employer, so essentially I had no paperwork. Even to be an electrical trades assistant you need some sort of restricted licence.
I found work by doing a lot of door knocking and phone calling and even though I was under supervision, the employers were taking a risk employing me as such.
I'm not in OZ yet but we've just been granted our PR visas so we're looking to move there later this year.
Best of luck and I'm sure you'll have a blast whatever you decide to do
Regards Derren
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Derren once again thanks for the help and guidance.

I just really wanna get out there now and like you say who knows i might end up loving it and moving out there.

Good luck with things

P
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You may find this a better option having read the other replies.
If you want to do bar work, you will need to do RSA training. It's a quick & relatively cheap course.
http://www.rsanow.com.au/?r=g3743
Good luck whatever you do & have fun.