MORE NOOB

Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:44 am
Just Joined

columbianmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MORE NOOB

Hi Guys

I've been reading loads of threads on here now.. and i'm so confused. but i guess i'm not the only one.

If i get to Oz on a WHV, i'd have a limited time to do my ARTC (if thats even possibly anymore)

ARTC will gain you an 'A license' to work in most states?

Peer training will get you in the right direction?

TA is basically an electricians mate?

Vetasses appears to be the longest most drawn out way (basically doing everything again)?

NSW you can apparently 'get work' unlicensed?

So whats the least complicated way to get an 'A license' (obviously i understand most ways are over complicated).. but if you had it down in bullet form step by step format to simplify would be awesome.

Cheers for all your help in advance. i look forward to the read.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:05 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MORE NOOB

Originally Posted by columbianmatt
Hi Guys

I've been reading loads of threads on here now.. and i'm so confused. but i guess i'm not the only one.

If i get to Oz on a WHV, i'd have a limited time to do my ARTC (if thats even possibly anymore)

ARTC will gain you an 'A license' to work in most states?

Peer training will get you in the right direction?

Vetasses appears to be the longest most drawn out way (basically doing everything again)?

So whats the least complicated way to get an 'A license' (obviously i understand most ways are over complicated).. but if you had it down in bullet form step by step format to simplify would be awesome.

Cheers for all your help in advance. i look forward to the read.
Hi Matt,

For an ARTC you need to be in Australia, and on a visa allowing you to work, so if you apply on a WHV you would be okay. They are very strict on the type of references you provide - an example I was shown ran to half a dozen pages.

With an ARTC, you would need to get to SA and get on a wiring course at PEER and together you could get an A class license if the rules do not change. Allowing a couple of months for ARTC oops - that should be 90 days - just checked their website, you could do wiring rules while you wait to save time, but if ARTC is not granted, you'll be down a chunk of money.

TA's though are like an electricians mate though if you can get work, and NSW allows you to work unlicensed. An OTSR by Vetassess, Vic Uni or now Future Skills will take a while to get, you have to do a trade test, and will only get you as far as a supervised license until you can get gap training done with log book.

I hope that helps, and doesn't confuse you further

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jul 16th 2013 at 11:08 am.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Hi Old Sparkles.

Many Thanks for your reply... so this is all based on a really good ARTC (with fingers crossed). i understand now with waiting for ARTC and the wiring rules... i've looked into the example ARTC's so now i need to do some more research into that... and how to do a good one.
Any advise and links would be appreciated.

You guys are really helpfull. thankyou so much!

Matt
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:21 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Old Sparkles.

Many Thanks for your reply... so this is all based on a really good ARTC (with fingers crossed). i understand now with waiting for ARTC and the wiring rules... i've looked into the example ARTC's so now i need to do some more research into that... and how to do a good one.
Any advise and links would be appreciated.

You guys are really helpfull. thankyou so much!

Matt
These are the applicant guidelines - http://www.innovation.gov.au/Skills/...Guidelines.pdf - don't know if you've seen them yet. If it's attached okay, there are also some sample references.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ref example.pdf (2.52 MB, 159 views)
Old Jul 16th 2013, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Old Sparkles

Nice one thankyou. i've had a read through the applicant guidelines, there is a lot to take in, and a lot to watch out for. I'm hoping to build up a checklist of what needs to be done on the ARTC, so that its definitely ready.

The examples where awesome.. so much information in there, but i guess essentially its a portfolio of your lifes work.
it also says that copies of you qualifications need to be signed.. so definitely got to look into that next (who does it, where they do it, how much that costs).

But thanks this is great.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 12:13 pm

Old Sparkles

Nice one thankyou. i've had a read through the applicant guidelines, there is a lot to take in, and a lot to watch out for. I'm hoping to build up a checklist of what needs to be done on the ARTC, so that its definitely ready.

The examples where awesome.. so much information in there, but i guess essentially its a portfolio of your lifes work.
it also says that copies of you qualifications need to be signed.. so definitely got to look into that next (who does it, where they do it, how much that costs).

But thanks this is great.
If you bring the originals and copies with you, you can get them signed here for free - but you have to bring the originals with you. Other than that, I had a notary public do mine - lots of copies of different paperwork needed for visa app for £70.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice

Yes

Yes, just take your JIB card
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:01 am
Just Joined

LeonG23 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes you can still get an ARTC to get you started in getting your A grade license. you need to apply for ELECTRICAL MECHANIC. THAT IS THE QUICKEST WAY TO GETTING A GRADE
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by LeonG23
yes you can still get an ARTC to get you started in getting your A grade license. you need to apply for ELECTRICAL MECHANIC. THAT IS THE QUICKEST WAY TO GETTING A GRADE
Having the ARTC is only a quick way of getting your license if you take it to SA I believe. Just looking at WA, and if you are an overseas electrician with a mechanic's ARTC, they will only issue you a provisional license. I heard from another member that NSW would not accept the ARTC at all. Don't know about other states, but overseas sparkies are pretty well stuffed on the licensing front now
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:52 am
Just Joined

i live in WA and i strarted my application in december didnt rush because i didnt need to at the time as i had a job but sent my ARTC off in december for electrical mechanic if you have NVQ LEVEL 3 in Electrotechnical then you are already bacically qualified in OZ as electricians over her work towards level 3 electrotechical same as us, but you still only half way as you now have to give a detailed description of all work you did in DETAIL i mean from the fixings you used up to the big stuff and put that with you qualifications and send off.

then 3 months later receive ARTC comes as a nice A4 Green certificate. when i received it i went strait down to energy safe they gave me a form for overseas sparkys with that ARTC in Electrical mechanic filled it out pay $112 then wait another month and receive an A4 cert saying im a restricted electrician.

now i phone up a collage of my choice and close to home in Pearsall for electrical licensing course give the number off the cert from energysafe. and pay the $1000 course fee 2 weeks.

sit the course no one can fail courses, then go to energysafe and pay the fee to get your final A grade electrical license.

that is the deal and it is jully and that is what process i did.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:05 am
Just Joined

SparkyAU is an unknown quantity at this point

Avoid the vetassess route if possible. I went vetassess in victoria and its a royal pain in the ass.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by SparkyAU
Avoid the vetassess route if possible. I went vetassess in victoria and its a royal pain in the ass.
There's no choice though - all routes end with problems getting licensed. RTO's tell you just keep applying - employers know all about the need to do the log book, but in my experience, employers haven't got a clue and it's very hit and miss. If you're coming on a PR just make sure you have plenty of cash
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:18 am
Just Joined

SparkyAU i have a question im a qualified electrician in the UK. but i left the UK to go travelling lived in Greece and other places, ended up in OZ stayed here for 2 years on whv doing any job i could find, 3 month of fibre optic work about as close to electrical as i did. but because i haven't technical worked as an electrician for the last 3 years that means i am unable to qualify for assessment for immigration purposes???correct???? strange as i got assessed as as a electrical mechanic ARTC.
sucks.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:32 am
Just Joined

SparkyAU is an unknown quantity at this point

TBH leon i dont know. i came the pig route (sorry typo, meant to say vetassess). Never done the ARTC route.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by LeonG23
SparkyAU i have a question im a qualified electrician in the UK. but i left the UK to go travelling lived in Greece and other places, ended up in OZ stayed here for 2 years on whv doing any job i could find, 3 month of fibre optic work about as close to electrical as i did. but because i haven't technical worked as an electrician for the last 3 years that means i am unable to qualify for assessment for immigration purposes???correct???? strange as i got assessed as as a electrical mechanic ARTC.
sucks.
Don't think the 'recent work experience' rule exists anymore - I had a quick look but couldn't see it. You could check this with Vetassess. I do know that even with an ARTC you would need to do OTSR for permanent migration. If you are still in Oz, if you could find an employer to sponsor you and work for them for 2 years, you would skip the need for a skills assessment - and given that you have ARTC you would be in a better position than most.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.