Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to WA need help!

Looking to move to WA need help!

Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

r10ley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move to WA need help!

Hi all I am a confused 23 year old please help.

Me and my girlfriend would love to move abroad and after holidaying in Vancouver and Perth we decided Perth is for us. My confusion is how I go about transferring my skills to WA standards.
I have read alot of information but feel more confused than ever.

A little about myself I'm 23
and served a 4 year apprenticeship in electrical engineering and completed it just over a year ago. In that time I completed an ONC and HNC and completed the 17th edition. All my experience is industrial I have no real domestic experience. I would class myself as an electrical maintainer working on industrial installations breakdowns etc. However I don't want to limit myself to this work.

My question is what are the steps to take from start to being able to find jobs in Perth. Is there much I can do from here in Britain?

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks r10ley
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

english reject will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looking to move to WA need help!

I think you will have to get a tourist/working holiday visa then apply to TRA for your ARTC once in OZ, I would contact wendy/steve O both have put some great posts on here regarding electrical licences etc.

ER
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, after alot of looking I have come to the conclusion there are two ways to going about transfering my skills from the UK to Perth Australia. Here is my understanding simply put:

Method 1. The ARTC method

1. Apply for a 12 month working holiday VISA
2. Complete a ARTC form from the TRA and await a positive responce (hopefully)
3. Travel to Aus and enrol on a PEER training course
4. Take both of the above to the licencing office and gain a SA liscence (which allows you to work supervised)

I hope this is somewhere near the truth. One question once in Australia what are the steps to be taken to extend your stay in Australia, can you extend your visa or would you be required to try and get permanent residency is that 12 month period?

Method 2. The VETASSESS Method

1. Apply to migrate to Australia through VETASSESS (No idea whats involved)
2. ?

Basically i know very little about this however it has been suggested this is the method I should take as I wont be looking to move over for around 2 years due to getting some cash behind us before the move.

If anyone could help me that would be great

Thanks r10ley
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r10ley
Hi, after alot of looking I have come to the conclusion there are two ways to going about transfering my skills from the UK to Perth Australia. Here is my understanding simply put:

Method 1. The ARTC method

1. Apply for a 12 month working holiday VISA
2. Complete a ARTC form from the TRA and await a positive responce (hopefully)
3. Travel to Aus and enrol on a PEER training course
4. Take both of the above to the licencing office and gain a SA liscence (which allows you to work supervised)

I hope this is somewhere near the truth. One question once in Australia what are the steps to be taken to extend your stay in Australia, can you extend your visa or would you be required to try and get permanent residency is that 12 month period?

Method 2. The VETASSESS Method

1. Apply to migrate to Australia through VETASSESS (No idea whats involved)
2. ?

Basically i know very little about this however it has been suggested this is the method I should take as I wont be looking to move over for around 2 years due to getting some cash behind us before the move.

If anyone could help me that would be great

Thanks r10ley

If you get a WHV and then do 3 months regional work, you may be able to extend your visa for another year. So that would give you two years to find a sponsor. Downsides to this route are that you can only work for the same employer for 6 months at a time, and if you don't find a sponsor then you would have to leave. Also you may be shooting yourself in the foot regarding coming back as you need to be able to match the recent employment criteria if you want to apply for a different visa later on.

For the second route, you need to see if your skills are on the in demand list and then see how many points this gives you and which visa's you can then apply for. Best way to assess it really is look at some migration agents and get one to give you a free consultation. I think probably the most effective way as they will point out all routes to Permanent Residency that apply to you, then you can make an informed decision.

Alternatively here's the Aus Immigration site - heavy reading! : http://www.immi.gov.au/
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help Wendy I'll have a good nosey threw they lot!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help Wendy I'll have a good nosey threw they lot!
It's a site that you should bookmark! Along with the TRA and Vettassess sites

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...s/default.aspx

http://www.vetassess.com.au/
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Quick question, if you go down the VETASSESS route which seems to be very expensive will you automatically get residency when you move out?

Thanks r10ley
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quick question, if you go down the VETASSESS route which seems to be very expensive will you automatically get residency when you move out?

Thanks r10ley
No. Vetassess is only a skills assessment.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

I see so what type of visa is best to apply for going this route?

Thanks r10ley
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I see so what type of visa is best to apply for going this route?

Thanks r10ley

Well your best type is going to be a skilled independent permanent visa. But I haven't looked at the criteria for one for for about 3 years, so I have no idea what number it is, or what the requirements are.

Sponsorship and temporary visa's are never really 100% guaranteed to work out. But as a way in are OK, so long as you know the pitfalls and that if they don't work out how you want them to, you may have to leave Australia.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again all, im starting to look at the VETASSESS application for trades skill assessment form and it appears I will have to provide certified copys of the following
. past employers referance
. qualification certs, (which there are alot of for an apprenticeship)
. payslips to prove past employment
. training certs

My question is do I need all of these certified and if so how do you go about doing it? Im guessing ill get charged threw the nose for it all.

Thanks for your help

r10ley
Old Nov 10th 2010, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi again all, im starting to look at the VETASSESS application for trades skill assessment form and it appears I will have to provide certified copys of the following
. past employers referance
. qualification certs, (which there are alot of for an apprenticeship)
. payslips to prove past employment
. training certs

My question is do I need all of these certified and if so how do you go about doing it? Im guessing ill get charged threw the nose for it all.

Thanks for your help

r10ley
Tells you here:
http://www.vetassess.com.au/certifyi..._documents.cfm

Anyone who is entitled to sign a passport application in the UK should be OK