Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

job title differences UK - Aus?

job title differences UK - Aus?

Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

jimsoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default job title differences UK - Aus?

Hi

Ive been looking at jobs in Aus, but Im unsure what they call my job in Aus

in the UK I am classed as an Electrical Fitter, I work on construction and maintenance switchgear in 400V - 132KV substations.

Ive seen Lineworker on the Skills shortage list but not sure if that is only OH lines? Also seen jobs advertised as Electrical Tradesman?

I also need to find out the order I need to start the migration process. I have an ARTC app which I started to fill in but dont know If I need a visa app first?

thanks
Jim
Old Apr 19th 2011, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: job title differences UK - Aus?

Originally Posted by jimsoon
Hi

Ive been looking at jobs in Aus, but Im unsure what they call my job in Aus

in the UK I am classed as an Electrical Fitter, I work on construction and maintenance switchgear in 400V - 132KV substations.

Ive seen Lineworker on the Skills shortage list but not sure if that is only OH lines? Also seen jobs advertised as Electrical Tradesman?

I also need to find out the order I need to start the migration process. I have an ARTC app which I started to fill in but dont know If I need a visa app first?

thanks
Jim
Hi Jim,
Not sure about this one. You can't apply for an ARTC unless your a resident of Australia ie have already been granted a visa.
May be best contacting a migration agent about the occupation you fall under and who carries out the offshore skills assessment for the it.
Initial consultations are usually free.
Regards Derren
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

jimsoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it better to find someone local or are most of the agents based in london? any links or contacts would be appriciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Is it better to find someone local or are most of the agents based in london? any links or contacts would be appriciated.

Thanks
Hi Jim,
You can use any migration agents wherever they are based.
We happened to use a local one here in Edinburgh, www.overseas-emigration.co.uk. they were recommended to us by a few friends and they have been fantastic.
Another agent that is highly regarded on this site and others is www.gomatilda.com.
Whichever agent you decide to use make sure they are MARA registered.
Hope this helps
Regards Derren
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:48 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
http://www.gomatilda.com/home.cfm