Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Help: Out of date sparky wanting Aus Licence

Help: Out of date sparky wanting Aus Licence

Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:15 am
Just Joined

Oz Hammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help: Out of date sparky wanting Aus Licence

Hi all,

I have been in 0z for about 9 years, have permanent residence, but have not worked as a sparky the whole time, I took an alternative career path working in the audio visual industry, working on events etc. I was going to get my licence, but never got round to it!

I have all my certificates, including my JIB electricians card etc, I also did a BTec Building Services Engineering (Electrical) diploma, when I did my apprenticeship in the UK.

I have been thinking about getting my electrical licence and going back on the tools. Would the fact that I havent practiced all this time go against me? Or do I apply to the ARTC do the PEER thing like everyone else?

I know that I would have to do some revision for the theory and ARTC interview, but I know I wouldn't have a problem with the practical side of things.

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help: Out of date sparky wanting Aus Licence

Originally Posted by Oz Hammer
Hi all,

I have been in 0z for about 9 years, have permanent residence, but have not worked as a sparky the whole time, I took an alternative career path working in the audio visual industry, working on events etc. I was going to get my licence, but never got round to it!

I have all my certificates, including my JIB electricians card etc, I also did a BTec Building Services Engineering (Electrical) diploma, when I did my apprenticeship in the UK.

I have been thinking about getting my electrical licence and going back on the tools. Would the fact that I havent practiced all this time go against me? Or do I apply to the ARTC do the PEER thing like everyone else?

I know that I would have to do some revision for the theory and ARTC interview, but I know I wouldn't have a problem with the practical side of things.

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Hi there,
As you've served an apprenticeship you should be successful in an obtaining an ARTC but as you've been out of the industry for that amount of time I suspect they may ask you to do a trade test.
This is only my opinion but good luck and let us know how you get on.
Regards Derren
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi there,
As you've served an apprenticeship you should be successful in an obtaining an ARTC but as you've been out of the industry for that amount of time I suspect they may ask you to do a trade test.
This is only my opinion but good luck and let us know how you get on.
Regards Derren
Hi Derren,

Thanks for the info. Do you know if PEER cover the trade test? Or would I have to take a seperate one?

Cheers
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oz Hammer
Hi Derren,

Thanks for the info. Do you know if PEER cover the trade test? Or would I have to take a seperate one?

Cheers
Hi OZ Hammer,
No, the TRA will inform you as to whether you will need a trade test or a telephone interview once they've assessed your application, and will conduct it themselves.
The PEER wiring regs course you will do in order to get a South Australian licence has been recently extended to include a simple practical test. Not really sure what it involves but there's a thread in this forum somewhere about it, or hopefully someone can post with details.
Also, don't do the PEER course until you have your ARTC as it is meaningless without it.
Regards Derren
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

danbridgeman is an unknown quantity at this point

any one know if i can change a sa licence to a nsw licence easily?? Or do you need extra certs to do this??
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by danbridgeman
any one know if i can change a sa licence to a nsw licence easily?? Or do you need extra certs to do this??
Hi there,
you should be able to get a NSW licence with your SA licence under the terms of 'mutual recognition'.
I've attached a pdf file which contains the application form you need to fill in.
Hope this helps
Regards Derren
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ap4747a.pdf (132.6 KB, 588 views)
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

danbridgeman is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers derren
Old Apr 8th 2011, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Hi OZ Hammer,
No, the TRA will inform you as to whether you will need a trade test or a telephone interview once they've assessed your application, and will conduct it themselves.
The PEER wiring regs course you will do in order to get a South Australian licence has been recently extended to include a simple practical test. Not really sure what it involves but there's a thread in this forum somewhere about it, or hopefully someone can post with details.
Also, don't do the PEER course until you have your ARTC as it is meaningless without it.
Regards Derren
Thanks for your help Derren, I'll get the app under way.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Oz Hammer;9

Derren7 is spot on with his info regarding any training, you shall have a test with TRA both theory & Prac, then you must do a short course at your local Tafe to bring you up to the australian regulations, then you may apply for all the current test in the state you shall be living in, that again shall be a mix of theory & prac.

its not easy at all you shall be under stress & the time limits are tight to complete all the required testing & theory.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:29 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Oz Hammer;9

Derren7 is spot on with his info regarding any training, you shall have a test with TRA both theory & Prac, then you must do a short course at your local Tafe to bring you up to the australian regulations, then you may apply for all the current test in the state you shall be living in, that again shall be a mix of theory & prac.

its not easy at all you shall be under stress & the time limits are tight to complete all the required testing & theory.
hi arthur how doing you old bastard
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Steve`o;

good mate & you its been a while since we had a chat, i have been chatting to PEER again & things are still on line for people to go to SA

i hope al is well for you mate, im as busy as hell here in victoria
Old Apr 25th 2011, 1:06 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
you should be able to get a NSW licence with your SA licence under the terms of 'mutual recognition'.
I've attached a pdf file which contains the application form you need to fill in.
Hope this helps
Regards Derren
Just downloaded the form and i have tried to find the fee for my appliaction. Its not on the info at the top and when you go to the website for fees etc. Its clear as mud. Anyone know the fee? Also on the form where its says what certificate are you applying for its says tradesperson certificate(plumbing only) do i just tick that or what? Confused!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 1:16 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Just downloaded the form and i have tried to find the fee for my appliaction. Its not on the info at the top and when you go to the website for fees etc. Its clear as mud. Anyone know the fee? Also on the form where its says what certificate are you applying for its says tradesperson certificate(plumbing only) do i just tick that or what? Confused!
chuck a link up to the site/form etc mate
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Hi Jockstar,
I've had to read this form a few times to get my head around it.
It is confusing and not well worded. Their website is pish tae!! Look I really am turning into a Jock!!
Anyway, when you read through the explanatory notes at the top it states for a qualified supervisor "All electrical wiring, plumbing etc. as an employee".
So I would tick the Qualified Supervisor box if you intend to work for a company.
The fees section states that the fees for registration under mutual recognition are the same as those for issue of a normal Qualified Supervisor and if you click on this LINK, and scroll down to the supervisor bit, individual - new-3 year I think the fee would be $188
Hope this helps. Pretty sure I am correct but if you're still not sure then email them for clarification.
Regards Derren
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Oz Hammer;9

Thanks for the info Arthur,

I know it won't be easy, but I do want to give it a go all the same. Any idea's what the practical test would involve? I have read different threads regarding the theory, which I need to brush up on.

Cheers Reece

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.