Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Help with qualifications needed in Australia

Help with qualifications needed in Australia

Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

tom29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with qualifications needed in Australia

Hi, im thinking about moving to Australia next year to live with a best friend who lives in Sydney. Id like to work there as an electrician - domestic/commercial fitter/installer.

My British recognized qualifications are:
236 C&G p1 and p2
NVQ 2 and 3
AM1 and 2
17th edition wiring regulations BS7671
I dont have the 2391 test and inspect qualification.
JIB recognizes me as "Electrician".

What would I have to do to work in Australia? do an Australian wiring regulations exam? nothing else hopefully because of my current qualifications? Ive been wiring and rewiring houses, shops and street lighting for 14 years so ive probably forgot a lot of the theory from college, yet passed the 17th edition exam last year.

All info/advice much appreciated.

Last edited by tom29; Oct 28th 2010 at 8:22 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with qualifications needed in Australia

Originally Posted by tom29
Hi, im thinking about moving to Australia next year to live with a best friend who lives in Sydney. Id like to work there as an electrician - domestic/commercial fitter/installer.

My British recognized qualifications are:
236 C&G p1 and p2
NVQ 2 and 3
AM1 and 2
17th edition wiring regulations BS7671
I dont have the 2391 test and inspect qualification.
JIB recognizes me as "Electrician".

What would I have to do to work in Australia? do an Australian wiring regulations exam? nothing else hopefully because of my current qualifications? Ive been wiring and rewiring houses, shops and street lighting for 14 years so ive probably forgot a lot of the theory from college, yet passed the 17th edition exam last year.

All info/advice much appreciated.
What visa are you coming on?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
What visa are you coming on?
Not sure, skilled independent? all i can see is Electrician (special class), not general which is the one i think is best for what im suited to. Special class looks like 236 part C/3.
Im hoping to stay there permanently, and find a job in electrical contracting domestic/commercial.

Last edited by tom29; Oct 28th 2010 at 9:08 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:11 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, skilled independent? all i can see is Electrician (special class), not general which is the one i think is best for what im suited to. Special class looks like 236 part C/3.
Im hoping to stay there permanently, and find a job in electrical contracting domestic/commercial.
firstly i`d be asking a qualified agent for direction ie what vias`s are available etc ( dosnt usually cost anything ) and take it from there

try

http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#appraisal

or

http://austimmigration.com.au/site/?q=node/6

once you know which way your coming ( visa wise ) we can point you in the right direction re courses etc
Old Oct 30th 2010, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

I applied for 'Electrician (General)'
Now my initial case review came back with: AUS - (175) Skilled - Independent (Migrant) Visa .application.

Is that the visa?

The next stage is paying a deposit for a case worker who finds out all the info i need, and also pay £1175 to be a client of Global Visas.

I was hoping not to go this far yet until i find out about... what ive asked in my first post like whether or not my qualifications mean that i dont need to do much re-examination and going on all the different courses which probably costs at least aus$ thousands.

Last edited by tom29; Oct 30th 2010 at 1:23 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:03 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for 'Electrician (General)'
Now my initial case review came back with: AUS - (175) Skilled - Independent (Migrant) Visa .application.
Is that the visa?

The next stage is paying a deposit for a case worker who finds out all the info i need, and also pay £1175 to be a client of Global Visas.

I was hoping not to go this far yet until i find out about... what ive asked in my first post like whether or not my qualifications mean that i dont need to do much re-examination and going on all the different courses which probably costs at least aus$ thousands.
this is why i suggested speaking to one of the "experts" as per my last post
over the last two years or so the goal posts regarding visa`s have shifted around something terrible to the point where most people wont know what visa`s are actually being processed at the moment,

for example i personaly wouldnt have thought that skilled indepent visa`s
were being processd at the moment i thinlk its skilled state sponsored visa`s that are prioraty and if that the case you`d be wasting your time and brass going done the independant route, ( i could and have been wrong but like i said its changed around so much latley its very confusing )

another thing i`d advise is that if you intend to use Global Visa`s check them out first, are they Mira registered ? do a post on the immigration section and ask how others have faired using them ( again dont cost owt and gets you a clearer picture of wants going on )

regarding your qualifications yes they are recognised and providing youve done an apprentiship its straight forward

electrical skills for your visa are tested by vettesses http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.3a
vettesses issue an ostr ( off shore training certificate ) you use this to apply for your visa ( it shows your qualifed and compentent )

on arrival in au you can also use it to apply for your licence in aus and in most states they will issue a permit to train which means you work supervised wilst going to tafe ( college ) to do a au wiring course once you complete the course you apply for your work licence, there are several different routes to getting your licence but at this stage i`d concentrate on sorting out a visa first

hope this helps regards steve
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

moriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to all

For what it's worth I just got my 175 visa, I sent off for my VETASSESS paperwork assessment in Feb 2008 so don't hold your breath!