Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Continuing Apprenticeship in Australia

Continuing Apprenticeship in Australia

Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all
Default Continuing Apprenticeship in Australia

Hi,
Is it possible for someone who hasn't finished their apprenticeship to complete it in Australia. I know a guy who is coming over to Australia from Ireland who has done 3 years of his apprenticeship but due to the collapse of the construction industry in Ireland he is unable to find work so is going to try his luck in Australia. Does anyone know if this possible? he is coming over on a working holiday visa which Iknow will probably not help his cause.

Adrian
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Continuing Apprenticeship in Australia

Originally Posted by agillick
Hi,
Is it possible for someone who hasn't finished their apprenticeship to complete it in Australia. I know a guy who is coming over to Australia from Ireland who has done 3 years of his apprenticeship but due to the collapse of the construction industry in Ireland he is unable to find work so is going to try his luck in Australia. Does anyone know if this possible? he is coming over on a working holiday visa which Iknow will probably not help his cause.

Adrian
I really don't know the answer to this, but I would imagine that even if he can finish it here it will be quite costly. If they allow anyone other than an Australian PR or Citizen to do the course, I would expect they will charge international fees.

I guess the only way he is going to find out for sure is by asking though. Here's a link to the Apprenticeship site, maybe get in touch with them as a starting point. http://www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/

Remember also that the course will be quite different here, so it could take longer to finish than he may expect.

To be honest, my opinion would be that he find a way to finish his course over there, or maybe look into trying to finish it in the UK.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

Cheers Wendy,

Think he's made up his mind to come to Australia. The apprenticeship course and structure is different in Ireland from the UK so he would probably struggle to find a way to finish it there too. I'll tell him to check the apprenticeship website.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agillick
Hi,

Adrian
As he would only be able to do 6 months max with any one employer, he'd not get an apprenticeship There are limitation to how long you can work for employers in the WHV. Would be able to pick up TA/labouring work, but wouldn't be able to stay in Aus any longer than a year.