Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Help, looking for work in Melbourne.!!!!

Help, looking for work in Melbourne.!!!!

Old Jun 24th 2013, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help, looking for work in Melbourne.!!!!

Even in WA you will struggle without your A grade. I have just completed my gap training but a lot of the guys I met through the courses are struggling to get work, have been paid off or have low paid jobs. I found it very hard to get work with the restricted license as well I don't think it is easy anywhere in OZ now. Also if you are on a WHV do you really want to spend all the money doing gap training? you wont complete it before your visa runs out.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Jamieon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colinmaclec
Even in WA you will struggle without your A grade. I have just completed my gap training but a lot of the guys I met through the courses are struggling to get work, have been paid off or have low paid jobs. I found it very hard to get work with the restricted license as well I don't think it is easy anywhere in OZ now. Also if you are on a WHV do you really want to spend all the money doing gap training? you wont complete it before your visa runs out.
Yeah it just seems like employers aren't interested in you with the restricted because your basically just a trade assistant or labourer to them.! Especially now that there doesn't seem to be as much work out there A grade are going to get the jobs before the supervised. Did you do an OTSR or ARTC.??? I'm planning on doing regional work so that'll give me the extra year to finish the gap training.. As I already spent $2,100 doing my OTSR to get the supervised workers permit which is a waste of time and money, I may aswell finish it out to get my A grade.. I have to find an employer first though.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jamieon
Yeah it just seems like employers aren't interested in you with the restricted because your basically just a trade assistant or labourer to them.! Especially now that there doesn't seem to be as much work out there A grade are going to get the jobs before the supervised. Did you do an OTSR or ARTC.??? I'm planning on doing regional work so that'll give me the extra year to finish the gap training.. As I already spent $2,100 doing my OTSR to get the supervised workers permit which is a waste of time and money, I may aswell finish it out to get my A grade.. I have to find an employer first though.
I have an OSTR as i am a permanent visa holder and needed it for migration purposes. Why have you done an OSTR. On a holiday visa you should do ARTC. The rest of the gap training will cost you around $4000 plus 4 weeks lost earnings.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by colinmaclec
I have an OSTR as i am a permanent visa holder and needed it for migration purposes. Why have you done an OSTR. On a holiday visa you should do ARTC. The rest of the gap training will cost you around $4000 plus 4 weeks lost earnings.
I found out that the TEEU were helping sparks to gain there license before heading to oz. They tied in with Future Skills Australia and done the OTSR through them. They told me that this was the best way to go about gaining my A grade license. Basically they kind of told us that this was the only was of gaining our A Grade now since everything was after being changed. I had been looking up info of how to gain the license prior to doing the OTSR and had come across the ARTC but didn't fully understand the process. It's my own fault in a way for not researching it but it all sounded good at the time. It was only when I got out to oz I realized that the supervised license is a pointless and employers aren't interested unless you have your A Grade.
The gap training various in every state, like in QLD you enroll with an RTO, where you do a course 2 nights a week for 6 months and can cost from $2000-3000 depending on the training organization and obviously do your on the job training to complete the e profiling log system.
In Victoria you have to do complete licenced electricians assessments (LEA) theory and practical which cost around €1000. These are only one day each for the theory and practical. You must also Completed 12 months electrical installation work as the holder of a Supervised Worker's Licence with written confirmation by the employer.
They are the two states I've been in so far in the past 2 months since I came out here. I just hope I can find work with this shitty supervised workers licence. Your basically just an apprentice again with it. So much hassle and money Im wondering is it even worth it. On the bright side though if I do decide to apply for my permanent visa I have my OTSR already.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Also TRA will decline your application for an ARTC if you have done your OTSR already so you have to go about getting your A grade license the long way.! Gap training Bollocks.!!!!!!
Old Jun 25th 2013, 1:23 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Also TRA will decline your application for an ARTC if you have done your OTSR already so you have to go about getting your A grade license the long way.! Gap training Bollocks.!!!!!!
Can you get any work, and carry on looking for the TA work? There's some stuff being advertised here in Adelaide at the mo - but I think it's short term contracts if that would help - think its on with Hays.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Can you get any work, and carry on looking for the TA work? There's some stuff being advertised here in Adelaide at the mo - but I think it's short term contracts if that would help - think its on with Hays.
Still nothing yet anyway , I'm after applying for TA positions so hopefully I hear something back. Thanks for the info but I think I'm going to hang tough up in Melbourne now and i should pick up something to keep me going.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 12:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Still nothing yet anyway , I'm after applying for TA positions so hopefully I hear something back. Thanks for the info but I think I'm going to hang tough up in Melbourne now and i should pick up something to keep me going.
No worries Jamie - let us know how you get on
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

pturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nice

Any luck in Melbourne yet with your OTSR?
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 2:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pturpin1
Any luck in Melbourne yet with your OTSR?
I'm after picking up a job at last, it's not exactly what I was looking for but actually seems pretty decent. I had an add up on gumtree and a sub-contractor for foxtel contacted me an asked would I be interested in being a foxtel technician. Basically going around to houses installing the set top boxes, running RG6 coax cables and points and installing the satellites ect. He's after paying for me to do my working at heights training and cabling license course, supplying me with a van, tools and all equipment needed for the work. I'm just out in the field training with another technician the last two weeks and should be starting on my own next week.
The only thing is that this kind of work doesn't count as gap training as I'm only working in one specific area. I'm not to bothered about gaining my A grade at the moment, I can live without it. I'm just happy to have a job and some decent money coming in. It's a change of scenery from being on construction sites and a bitta of experience in a different area aswell.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

welshsteven is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney seems to be the place for electrical work from my perspective sitting here in the UK. lol. you can work unlicensed and there's definetly more jobs advertised. I'm looking at a Skilled Independent Visa now. All the best. Steve