Work for sparks??

Old Jul 6th 2013, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

pturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nice
Default Work for sparks??

Hi all,

I recently posted asking for advice on the OTSR exam with Future Skills. However after reading some of the posts im left worrying if there is actually work for sparkies in Aus still? I land in Melbourne start of November and was hoping to work there with my provisional license on a years working visa, is it best to search elsewhere? Sydney or somewhere else, your advice would be great!

Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2013, 9:16 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work for sparks??

Sydney
There's your answer.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 9:19 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

This is just one of the emails i have received from SEEK in the week or so.

Job 1: Maintenance Electrician
Advertiser : Hays Facilities Management
Classification : Trades & Services Electricians
Description : A large electrical service provider has an immediate requirement for an experienced electrician to carry out emergency light testing and maintenanc...
View this job at: http://seek.com.au/job/24817051?tracking=JMC-0000787

Job 2: Licensed Electrician
Advertiser : Glenco Electrical
Description : Join an established and progressive electrical company! Challenging and varied role! Opportunities for career advancement and development
View this job at: http://seek.com.au/job/24817350?tracking=JMC-0000787

Job 3: PLC Maintenance Electrician
Advertiser : INDUSTRIOUS PEOPLE part of Sirius Recruitment Group
Description : Excellent permanent opportunity for an experienced PLC Maintenance Electrician working for a growing company!
View this job at: http://seek.com.au/job/24817463?tracking=JMC-0000787

Job 4: High Voltage Electrician
Advertiser : Hays Energy
Description : This Electrical company is a family owned business with over 90 years of continuous service in the electrical industry, their areas of expertise ar...
View this job at: http://seek.com.au/job/24818025?tracking=JMC-0000787

Job 5: QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN - ACROSS MOST OF SYDNEY (IMMEDIATE START)
Advertiser : MNI ELECTROSPARK
Description : Qualified Electrician required for a business in Sydney region providing services for different contracts across the business
View this job at: http://seek.com.au/job/24818330?tracking=JMC-0000787

Job 6: Electrical Supervisor
Advertiser : Chandler Macleod Group
Description : Electrical Supervisor/Project Manager required for multiple supermarket and department stores in south western Sydney
View this job at: http://seek.com.au/job/24818450?tracking=JMC-0000787

Job 7: Industrial Electrician's
Advertiser : Concept Engineering
Description : Electrical work on trains, immediate start, West and South Sydney locations, Industrial or transport experience, Ideally RISI card holder
View this job at: http://seek.com.au/job/24818621?tracking=JMC-0000787

Job 8: Licensed Electrician
Advertiser : Credbow Electrical and Data
Description : Knowledge in electrical and data
View this job at: http://seek.com.au/job/24819250?tracking=JMC-0000787

Job 9: Licensed Electrician
Advertiser : Solar Power NSW
Description : Leading Solar Power company located in Ingleburn looking for a licence electrician - Immediate start!
View this job at: http://seek.com.au/job/24676561?tracking=JMC-0000787

Job 10: Electrician
Advertiser : Chandler Macleod Group
Description : Electricians with commercial experience required to work all around Sydney
View this job at: http://seek.com.au/job/24813396?tracking=JMC-0000787
Old Jul 6th 2013, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

pturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nicepturpin1 is just really nice

il apply to Melbourne and Sydney but looks like Sydney is the smart option then!

Thanks for that
Old Jul 7th 2013, 2:59 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by pturpin1
il apply to Melbourne and Sydney but looks like Sydney is the smart option then!

Thanks for that
Melbourne is one of the hardest places to get work. No licence or in the Union. Where as in Sydney you can work unlicenced as in theory you will be supervised my a licenced sparky.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Good to know, wish I had read this forum before booking and paying for my OTSR. At least il have the option to stay and complete it after a year if I chose to. Had no idea you could work in NSW un licensed, thanks for the info!
Old Jul 7th 2013, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Jamieon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pturpin1
Good to know, wish I had read this forum before booking and paying for my OTSR. At least il have the option to stay and complete it after a year if I chose to. Had no idea you could work in NSW un licensed, thanks for the info!
OTSR is a waste of time and money, I done it back in April through the TEEU. You'll find it very hard to get work with a supervised licenese as most employers are looking for A grade sparks. If you can, try have a job lined up before you get over here. It'll save you a lot of time and money. If i was you id go through skills shortage solutions about gainibg your License, thats if you could still cancel the OTSR and get refunded.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

welshsteven is an unknown quantity at this point

any update mate?
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

No refund available on the OTSR so going ahead with that next week. Getting a CV together to send off to employers and hopefully find out where there are more opportunities, Melbourne or Sydney. Thanks for the replies everyone!
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

welshsteven is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool man, keep us updated, did you try looking for sponsorship before hand? i'm looking for sponsorship atm but it doesn't seem to be common as a spark. so prob going to start the Skilled Independent Visa in December, so i'd like to see how you get on.

all the best steve
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

No didn't look at getting sponsored as at the time of applying for my WH Visa I believed there was a lot of work for sparks still :s listened to the trade organisations at a London expo saying there was plenty of work and all you need is the OTSR. Il be applying as much as I can before I leave so will keep you informed, best of luck for December!