Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electricians working with a restricted license

Electricians working with a restricted license

Old Jan 6th 2009, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

stixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nice
Default Electricians working with a restricted license

Hello All

Could anyone working with a restricted license cast any light on how you found it going once you arrived in Oz. Im heading to Brisbane with an OTSR gained through Vetassess and dont think I can go through PEER in SA to obtain my full license. Any info please and idea on hourly rates please.

Cheers Dave
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice
Default Re: Electricians working with a restricted license

dave,

whilst over there in October i found out that sparks are on $33 basic pay (eba rates which is the same as our jib) plus benifits travel,tool allowance,super and site allowance etc.

If you are prepared to travel into brisbane its even higher.

where are you planning on staying I Looked around the gold coast and the sunshine coast and there are some beautiful place to live.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

stixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nice

Hello again Chris

Planning on South Brisbane area, Cleveland and surrounding areas and would look to commute into CBD for work, have you got your full license and visa then? Did you find work easy enough to come by?

Dave
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Hi Buddy,
If you look on seek.com you'll see some jobs for Trade assistants which I think is what we'll be classed as with a provisional licence. I think the going rate is around $25 per/h. There's a link on the forum.Davy
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice

Dave I am back in freezing England -6 today on site, i was there having a look around just to make sure it was the right decision before i went ahead with my application. My application went in as soon as i arrived back home.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All,

I work in Brisbane as a trade Assistant, i don't hold a license of any discription and you don't need too. A true fact that the pay is not as good, anything ranging between 22 and 27 dollars, just recently seek have been looking for overseas sparks wanting work whilst doing the necessary courses to gain a full license, don't get yourself down by thinking there is no work here unless you have a full ticket. i have been doing this for 2 and half years and not been out of work yet,

The provisional ticket is nothing more than that provisional, it does not qualify you for any particular job title and guarantee nothing other than you are qualified in another country.

i have my final exam soon and a full license will be mine.

Regards

Kevin
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Kevin,much appreciated

Dave
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin S
Hello All,

I work in Brisbane as a trade Assistant, i don't hold a license of any discription and you don't need too. A true fact that the pay is not as good, anything ranging between 22 and 27 dollars, just recently seek have been looking for overseas sparks wanting work whilst doing the necessary courses to gain a full license, don't get yourself down by thinking there is no work here unless you have a full ticket. i have been doing this for 2 and half years and not been out of work yet,

The provisional ticket is nothing more than that provisional, it does not qualify you for any particular job title and guarantee nothing other than you are qualified in another country.

i have my final exam soon and a full license will be mine.

Regards

Kevin
Dear Kevin

Are you going to attend an RTO to gain your Electrical Mechanics License? If so which one and if you dont mind me asking me at what cost to yourself and have you had to do a log book of some sort.

Cheers Dave
Old Jan 8th 2009, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All,

Dave,

I will be attending peer in the hope that i may pass the wiring regs exam and pick up a SA license.

If you have any questions regarding peer and the SA route then ask Wendy, if it's Queensland then Steve'o your man or Victoria speak with Arthur.

The cost is around 900 bucks, books and revision day and exam included. There is no log book this way, but if you do the Vetassess way then it's a different ball game, the provisional license you will gain from the Vetassess system is something like a probationary period where you prove what you know, before you are allowed to used Australian methdods of wiring and prep work.(there goes another rib).

Regards

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin S; Jan 8th 2009 at 5:15 am. Reason: left something out