Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

The Australian conduit bender! lol!

The Australian conduit bender! lol!

Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:50 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default The Australian conduit bender! lol!

I know its been asked a few times in the past if its worth bringing a conduit bender. A few people have said no it will just gather dust but i say BRING it. Im currently working on a very large industrial project and at the point where there is a fair amount of galv conduit to install. Well i was given the bender today........ this is it..... the hockey stick! May aswell given me a bit of wood with a hole in! Talk about going backwards! Still working out how im meant to thread the pipe!
Attached Thumbnails The Australian conduit bender! lol!-image004.jpg   The Australian conduit bender! lol!-image005.jpg  
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice
Default Re: The Australian conduit bender! lol!

Ha Ha!

I have one of those an old timer gave me years ago!

I actually think they're pretty good for 90s and 45's. Offsets and Bubble Sets....different story!.

See the former is stamped at 25mm.....You'll have arms like a treetrunk when you're finished.

I'd be on ebay right now looking for a hilmour if I was you!.

:-p

PS At least the former doesn't seem to have loads of different bend marks cut into it....you're maybe the first guy to use it!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:04 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh im the first to use it! Its brand new!!

Its a multimillion $ job and they cant get me a good bender with a vice?? I guess its the whinging pomm in me coming out!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

Hmmmm....You're boss has bought a dud cheapo then! :-p

The new ones like that I've seen have a triangular part where the handle meets the former and you're "supposed" to put the pipe through, lay the bender on deck (with the former head pipe grooves parallel to the deck) this traps the conduit. Then you can thread the pipe........

I've seen this done.....

It's a complete f@ck@bout!!!.

All sparks in favour of a hilmour vote "Aye"

AYE!

:-D
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:37 am
Sparky Stu

AYE!!!

Will report back on how it goes!lol
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:45 am
Just Joined

britishsparky is an unknown quantity at this point

thats for copper surely.
A large job. i've been on the UK's current biggest construction project and it was in twin and earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how crap
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:42 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stu:0
I know its been asked a few times in the past if its worth bringing a conduit bender. A few people have said no it will just gather dust but i say BRING it. Im currently working on a very large industrial project and at the point where there is a fair amount of galv conduit to install. Well i was given the bender today........ this is it..... the hockey stick! May aswell given me a bit of wood with a hole in! Talk about going backwards! Still working out how im meant to thread the pipe!

That shocking isn't it !

I can see an elephants grave yard appearing soon enough with that type of bender in use !

Good luck mate let us know how you get on and post some more pics up of the installation if you get chance its always interesting to see

Good Luck

Dougie
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:44 am
Sparky Stu

Originally Posted by britishsparky
thats for copper surely.
A large job. i've been on the UK's current biggest construction project and it was in twin and earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how crap
I wish it was for copper! Its all 25mm iv got to put in. Good job i started hitting the gym as it does take a bit of playing around with.

Never got round to using it today but i will be back with a few photo's and you get all give me marks out of 10 for effort!

Its definatly a step backwards!?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

why is it sparkying is always antiquated
i mean pipe fitters screw there pipe with a machine!
what do we still do stocks and dies
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

The Yanks have the right idea when it comes to pipe bending!.

Check out some of the nifty kit in here http://www.gardnerbender.com/product...t_bending.html

I like the look of the electric bender meself!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

the on the floor foot bender looks the part !
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about

****ing snobs
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:59 am
Sparky Stu

Originally Posted by daviec33
The Yanks have the right idea when it comes to pipe bending!.

Check out some of the nifty kit in here http://www.gardnerbender.com/product...t_bending.html

I like the look of the electric bender meself!
MMMM now that does make me sick seeing all that! Some nice gear there and i wouldnt mind that foot bender!

Went for a game of golf after work and was very tempted to take my new piece of kit with me! Probably better for hitting golf balls with than bending pipe!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:08 am
Sparky Stu

Also found this little bugger in me conduit today! Just started to dress the cables in when i saw two eye's blinking at me from down the pipe!

Well i couldnt leave it in there!

Oh and there was a snake kept popping its head out of a large puddle behind me!
Attached Thumbnails The Australian conduit bender! lol!-image008.jpg