Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Can I work as an Electrician in Oz ?

Can I work as an Electrician in Oz ?

Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

mike_oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can I work as an Electrician in Oz ?

Hi

I am 36 years old and British I am currently re-training to be an electrician in the UK.
Once the course is finished I will have gained the following qualifications:

1. CITB Certified
2. 17th edition - City & Guilds 2382
3. Appliance Testing - City & Guilds 2377
4. CSCS Site safety
5. EAL Domestic Installer
6. Part P

I have been on the course for 6 months and hope to finish in about 2+ years.
I am also about to work part time with an Electrician to gain experience.

I have an Australian wife (married 6 years) and we want to move to back to Australia in about 3 to 5 years time. Once my course is finished etc.

I do not need a skilled visa as I can easily get a spouse visa, but after looking online at ex pat chat rooms I am starting to think I may have made a bad decision re-training as a sparky.

Can somebody please tell me if I am going to be able to work in Oz as a sparky.

I have heard you need to have 7 years experience and even then you have to re-train, and there may also be an age problem etc.

I would really appreciate it if somebody could give me the exact requirements I need to work in Oz as a sparky or if it is even possible given my set of circumstances.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:56 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can I work as an Electrician in Oz ?

Hi Mike,
Only you know all of your exact circumstances i from what you have said i think you may struggle on the experience side of the assessment ( i may be wrong) It seems that you would need to go down the Vetassess route which can prove time consuming and only applicable once you are fully qualified.

The age restriction seems to be 45 so you just ok there for a bit but dont think this would be relevent if you attained entry via a spouse visa.

Would it not be an idea to move sooner and start your training over a fresh in OZ all to there guidlines as it seems a little waste to do all our certs (CSCS/part P/ 17th edition/ appliance tester etc etc ) only to set sail down under as soon as you have qualified and begun to use these certs??

Just my thoughts anyway you should have a good read through all the threads in this section and suss out your best options for your circumstances and take it from there.

Good Luck

Regards

Dougie
Old Jan 6th 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

I'm a little unsure of you're quals there mate

No city and guilds 2330 or NVQ Level 3???

I thought that was the standard quals these days!?!?

Anyhow

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...tember2007.pdf

Is a good starting point. It shows how Trades Recognition Assess your application. Pay close attention to the skill pathways, you will only be assesed under one of these, like A,B,C,D

It lists the amount of college hours and practical hours you need depending on the pathway you are assessed under.

Things have changed a bit now as well though as VETASSESS now do assessments in the UK for sparkys.

I think that is only for people applying under general skilled migration. If you were on a spouse visa, i don't think VETASSESS would be for you.

TRA would probably be better once you were in country and undertake a domestic (in Australia) skills assessment.

Edit - After reading dougies post....I agree, wouldn't it be easier to retrain in Australia???. Would probably make the licensing side of things easier!!!!

Last edited by daviec33; Jan 6th 2009 at 1:12 pm. Reason: Read dougies post...made more sense then mine! :-p
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

mike_oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Can I work as an Electrician in Oz ?

Thanks will look into that,

yeah it prob would be easier to re-train in oz but we can't move for another 3/5 years (various reasons) and I want to start training now, I want to start work asap when I get there. I thought that once I had re-trained and got a few years experience that would be enough, as I will be on a spouse visa, permanent resident etc....hope it is not as hard as it all sounds there must be a way around this ?????
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Mr_Bump is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Can I work as an Electrician in Oz ?

Hi mike,

I would be interested in what you find out.

I am 38 this month and like you, my wife was born in oz so we can go on spouses visa, etc.

I am a kitchen fitter but, like you, have just re-trained as a domestic electrician with the same quals as you so far. I am registered with Elecsa.

I am trying to find out what I need to do to be able to work down under as a sparky and how I can start the ball rolling before we move, probably in a year or two.

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Mr_Bump is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any way to get oz qualifications or start training before going, ie on line

Ian
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All,

I believe that you have to apply for an ARTC if you are gaining entry by other means than your Quals, this is the way i have had to go. This assesment is done by tradesmen and they decided whether or not you go straight through or take a phone exam or practical test.

The experience is pretty much the same as for the Vetessa papers system.

Regards

Kevin