Electricians coming to Oz

Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Mick Rose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricians coming to Oz

Hello Folks,

I just wondered if any electricians coming to Australia are aware of the situation regarding Trades Recognition. Ive been out here since October 06, had a few weeks holiday then started looking for work only to find out that although I had been recognised as an electrician during my visa application this counts for nothing when you get to Australia.
You have to start the TRA process all over again and do everything again in more detail.
I have been told that this process can take up to a year to get recognition depending on how you are graded at the inital TRA hearing. Whatever grade you are given indicates what further education is required.
The next problem is finding somewhere to do the required courses, I hav'nt looked into this yet but I have heard that this is another minefield.
Until you complete the required courses you cannot apply for your licence and therefore you can only work as an assistant.
Is anyone else here in Oz having a similar problem.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electricians coming to Oz

Originally Posted by Mick Rose
Hello Folks,

I just wondered if any electricians coming to Australia are aware of the situation regarding Trades Recognition. Ive been out here since October 06, had a few weeks holiday then started looking for work only to find out that although I had been recognised as an electrician during my visa application this counts for nothing when you get to Australia.
You have to start the TRA process all over again and do everything again in more detail.
I have been told that this process can take up to a year to get recognition depending on how you are graded at the inital TRA hearing. Whatever grade you are given indicates what further education is required.
The next problem is finding somewhere to do the required courses, I hav'nt looked into this yet but I have heard that this is another minefield.
Until you complete the required courses you cannot apply for your licence and therefore you can only work as an assistant.
Its not just sparkies that have this problem. Many people find that when they get here, all the qualifications and experience that got them here in the first place count for nothing. Its understandable, but no doubt mighty irritating. Oz regulations say you have to have X, Y and Z to be an electrician... and you don't have them. That's just the nature of the beast.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Dec 2nd 2006 at 11:16 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Folks,

As you're a new poster you probably aren't aware that we have a forum specifically for electricians. I'll move this thread over there as there seems to be quite a thriving community in there who can help you out
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:50 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what state you live. In NSW you can get a job as a sparky as long as you are supervised. You cannot sign off your own jobs but you can get a job as an unlicenced sparky. I know i have done it. I have just started my 2nd job since i arrived. Though this one is as an installation technician. CCTV etc. I dont know much about it but they are training me up. The money is less than my last job. But that was casual and this is permanent.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of posts on here about this. Where are you?, someone may be able to help.

We are in SA and it took my hubby 4 months to get his licence (it could have been done in about 6 weeks though )

He got a job within a few days of getting his licence through (he didn't really look before that though!), he's doing the same thing he did in the UK and it pays about the same too
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
There are lots of posts on here about this. Where are you?, someone may be able to help.

We are in SA and it took my hubby 4 months to get his licence (it could have been done in about 6 weeks though )

He got a job within a few days of getting his licence through (he didn't really look before that though!), he's doing the same thing he did in the UK and it pays about the same too
Hello Wendy i'm in Melbourne I would be gratefull for any advice.

Thanks
Mick
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Wendy i'm in Melbourne I would be gratefull for any advice.

Thanks
Mick

I'm on to it Be back soon
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did you get your ARTC certificate yet? was it Electrical Mechanic or Fitter?

From looking at the Vic licensing site looks like you need to do these two things:

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/tradespeop...ers_ei.html#oq

http://www.nmit.vic.edu.au/courses/s...it_set045.html

Someone who has done the Vic licence may come along with more info hopefully.

It's a pain in the rear, but once you get it hopefully you'll get back into the swing of it all.

All the best matey
Wendy
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
Did you get your ARTC certificate yet? was it Electrical Mechanic or Fitter?

From looking at the Vic licensing site looks like you need to do these two things:

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/tradespeop...ers_ei.html#oq

http://www.nmit.vic.edu.au/courses/s...it_set045.html

Someone who has done the Vic licence may come along with more info hopefully.

It's a pain in the rear, but once you get it hopefully you'll get back into the swing of it all.

All the best matey
Wendy
Thanks again Wendy.

The TRA are sitting on the 15th of December to look at my application. I have asked for Elactrical Mechanic, apperently if accepted I get the certificate a week later, in the mean time I'm hounding as many companies as posible trying to get a start of some kind.

Cheers
Mick
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks again Wendy.

The TRA are sitting on the 15th of December to look at my application. I have asked for Elactrical Mechanic, apperently if accepted I get the certificate a week later, in the mean time I'm hounding as many companies as posible trying to get a start of some kind.

Cheers
Mick

Yes, the ARTC cert. will take about 3 to 4 days to get to you. Let us know when you get it