Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Is a Mechanic licenc better then fitter?

Is a Mechanic licenc better then fitter?

Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

andy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to all
Default Is a Mechanic licenc better then fitter?

Have we got this right? We have found this all rather confusing (think thats the Australian way) and are hoping you could reassure or correct us if this is wrong. Currently looking at oh ARTC form as we now have our c/o. Will hopefully be moving to w/a.

Many thanks
Elaine
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a Mechanic licenc better then fitter?

Originally Posted by andy w
Have we got this right? We have found this all rather confusing (think thats the Australian way) and are hoping you could reassure or correct us if this is wrong. Currently looking at oh ARTC form as we now have our c/o. Will hopefully be moving to w/a.

Many thanks
Elaine

Yes, a mechanic is the better classification.

Fitters can't connect to mains, so when filling in the form make sure you put quite a bit about that part of it to get the mechanic one.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

andy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to allandy w is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy

Fitters can't connect to mains, so when filling in the form make sure you put quite a bit about that part of it to get the mechanic one.
Thanks for that wendy.

Elaine
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

From what TRA has told me, this is NOT TRUE, Mechanic IS NOT a better classification, it a DIFFERENT classification.

*A Mechanic pulls wires through plastic conduit and wires buildings

*A Fitter works on panels, motors, control equipment, PLC's etc

*Both can connect to mains as both need to do an A CLASS licence

*It all depends on what type of Electrician you are as to what classification you become. If you are a 'house basher' you will be a Mechanic, if you are industrial and work with process controls, motors, conveyor systems and the like you are a Fitter.

* as stated by TRA

If you are a 'house basher' then you must stipulate all the work you have done on wiring buildings and the like to obtain the Mechanics Classification

There are many different types of Electricians in the UK as well as OZ, when you say you are an electrician people automatically think you are a 'house basher' as this is the most commonly known of the classification. None are thought of as better skilled than the other, it's each to their own skill. The main thing to get is the Licence, as without this you can only worked supervised (but in most employments this is only a slightly less rate than the unsupervised). A Maintenance Electrician may not know all the regs concerning a house rewire, but then again would a 'house basher' know how to design a panel using PLC's and program it to control an industrial process?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simpy
From what TRA has told me, this is NOT TRUE, Mechanic IS NOT a better classification, it a DIFFERENT classification.

*It all depends on what type of Electrician you are as to what classification you become. If you are a 'house basher' you will be a Mechanic, if you are industrial and work with process controls, motors, conveyor systems and the like you are a Fitter.

* as stated by TRA

If you are a 'house basher' then you must stipulate all the work you have done on wiring buildings and the like to obtain the Mechanics Classification

There are many different types of Electricians in the UK as well as OZ, when you say you are an electrician people automatically think you are a 'house basher' as this is the most commonly known of the classification. None are thought of as better skilled than the other, it's each to their own skill. The main thing to get is the Licence, as without this you can only worked supervised (but in most employments this is only a slightly less rate than the unsupervised). A Maintenance Electrician may not know all the regs concerning a house rewire, but then again would a 'house basher' know how to design a panel using PLC's and program it to control an industrial process?

Agree with you BUT My hubby works in a factory on machinery and has done for the past 8 years. To be able to get a job in a factory here he had to have an A class licence. To get his A class licence he had to do the wiring rules course, which involves knowing the regulations as applicable to Electricians. That means knowing how to wire a house and even involves things like pylons etc. Without that exam, he wouldn't have got his unrestricted licence. This applies to South Australia.

For Queensland, read this link section 26 and 28.

Maybe it is different from state to state, but I know that here in South Australia if you get a restricted licence until you pass the wiring rules exam, which basically means reading and answering questions on the whole of the wiring rules regulations.

There are also electrical fitters working at my hubby's place, who haven't got the unrestricted licence and are only allowed to work on the machines. They don't have to get the licence, but are on circa $20 a hour as opposed to $28.32 that my hubby is on.

Bloody hell, it's a nightmare isn't it

I think the best advice is to say, make sure you check out the requirements for the state you are going to before you even begin to think about the TRA.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Agree with you BUT My hubby works in a factory on machinery and has done for the past 8 years. To be able to get a job in a factory here he had to have an A class licence. To get his A class licence he had to do the wiring rules course, which involves knowing the regulations as applicable to Electricians. That means knowing how to wire a house and even involves things like pylons etc. Without that exam, he wouldn't have got his unrestricted licence. This applies to South Australia.

For Queensland, read this link section 26 and 28.

Maybe it is different from state to state, but I know that here in South Australia if you get a restricted licence until you pass the wiring rules exam, which basically means reading and answering questions on the whole of the wiring rules regulations.

There are also electrical fitters working at my hubby's place, who haven't got the unrestricted licence and are only allowed to work on the machines. They don't have to get the licence, but are on circa $20 a hour as opposed to $28.32 that my hubby is on.

Bloody hell, it's a nightmare isn't it

I think the best advice is to say, make sure you check out the requirements for the state you are going to before you even begin to think about the TRA.
Exactly, from what i have been informed you don't heve to do the 'A CLASS' (unrestricted) licence exam, you can do a restricted one, but like i said, it will be a drop in pay for restricted.
I was informed by TRA of what i mentioned before, and also informed by 2 prospective employers that I will need the 'A CLASS' licence (victoria - bloody hardest state to qualify, just my luck). Upon looking at the licence application it asks whether you've been classed as Mechanic or Fitter, either way, you still need to do exam, and you are correct in saying that it involves knowing regs (or at least where to find them in the book).
It is a nightmare, and they are not very helpful in giving out the information. Personally hopeing trying to get off tools onto something different so as wont need the licence straight away and can do that at night school, but wont know until 3 weeks tomorrow
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:51 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

hi wends are you out there????

after some info my dear
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steve`o
hi wends are you out there????

after some info my dear

Yep, I'm here

Been busy doing my cousins CV

Last edited by Wendy; Nov 20th 2006 at 12:53 am.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:33 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

* as stated by TRA

sorry your wrong wends is right
o and by the way i`m an electrical mechanic in qld

Electrical mechanic licence is an open electrical work licence.

An electrical mechanic can perform all electrical work.

Examples:

install or change an overhead electrical line
install electrical wiring
repair any electrical equipment
Refer to Section 34 of the Electrical Safety Regulation 2002 (PDF, 801 KB) for more information on eligibility requirements for an electrical mechanic licence.

Electrical fitter licence allows you to perform electrical equipment work.

Examples:

rewinding and repairing an electric motor
building and assembling a switchboard
Refer to Section 36 of the Electrical Safety Regulation 2002 (PDF, 801 KB) for eligibility requirements for an electrical fitter licence.

taken straight from the electrical safety office web site qld

regards steve

ps link for thoose wishing to read more

http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/electrical...ences/classes/
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
taken straight from the electrical safety office web site qld
Must be different state to state then 'cos that's not what TRA said for Vic
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Must be different state to state then 'cos that's not what TRA said for Vic

Came across this link while searching for something. I didn't know if you had it or not so thought I'd post it for you just in case

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/tradespeop...ers_ei.html#oq
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:55 pm
Can't happen quick enough

David and Lynsey will become famous soon enoughDavid and Lynsey will become famous soon enough

Came across this link while searching for something. I didn't know if you had it or not so thought I'd post it for you just in case

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/tradespeop...ers_ei.html#oq
A couple of quick questions on the ARTC form- does anyone know what the 2 self adhesive labels (which are stapled to the form on q12 Declaration) are for?
Also in q3, when it asks for my resident status am I classed as a permanent resident of Australia, even though I haven't validated my visa yet and am still in the UK?
My agent didn't include a copy of my 16th edition wiring regs qualification with my migration assessment and I think I should send it in support of this, does it come under Vocational education and training as both times I have passed I have been sent by my employers?
Finally, I know they will only post to an Aussie address( we will be staying with relatives when we come over) do I put this address in the personal particulars or my UK address?

Sorry to be a pain, but my agent compiled the TRA migration assessment for me and these are the only differences in the 2 application forms.
David
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by David and Lynsey
A couple of quick questions on the ARTC form- does anyone know what the 2 self adhesive labels (which are stapled to the form on q12 Declaration) are for?
Also in q3, when it asks for my resident status am I classed as a permanent resident of Australia, even though I haven't validated my visa yet and am still in the UK?
My agent didn't include a copy of my 16th edition wiring regs qualification with my migration assessment and I think I should send it in support of this, does it come under Vocational education and training as both times I have passed I have been sent by my employers?
Finally, I know they will only post to an Aussie address( we will be staying with relatives when we come over) do I put this address in the personal particulars or my UK address?

Sorry to be a pain, but my agent compiled the TRA migration assessment for me and these are the only differences in the 2 application forms.
David
The sticky labels get stuck on the ARTC certificate, that's instead of signing it

If you have a PR visa then yes, put in that you are a PR of Australia

I can't remember what I put on the form for the vocational and training part But we sent everything we had in relation to his C&G course and training center.

You should put your relatives address on the form (I would anyway )
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:29 am
Can't happen quick enough

David and Lynsey will become famous soon enoughDavid and Lynsey will become famous soon enough

The sticky labels get stuck on the ARTC certificate, that's instead of signing it

If you have a PR visa then yes, put in that you are a PR of Australia

I can't remember what I put on the form for the vocational and training part But we sent everything we had in relation to his C&G course and training center.

You should put your relatives address on the form (I would anyway )
Thanks for that, It seems more nerve racking when you are putting together the application youreself- although when I have seen the TRA application that the agents sent off it was all my work!!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by David and Lynsey
Thanks for that, It seems more nerve racking when you are putting together the application youreself- although when I have seen the TRA application that the agents sent off it was all my work!!

Yeah, know what you mean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.